Amplifier recommendations, please. Solid state Power/int. under $500 used.

GerryD

Why don't you contact Fritz Heiler and ask him for a recommendation? 

dlaloum

I will give the Crown XLS series amps another vote...

Thread reviewing them is here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130191.msg1382311#new

You can pick one up new for under $500, and they will run rings around anything I can think of at that price (especially if you need lots of Watts and Current) - if you can look past their "pro" marketing and appearance, they are a killer value amp

I also am a big fan of the Quad 606/707/909 family of amps which are great performers, and should be findable around you $500 budget (circa 140W/8ohm with good current - very stable, can handle reactive loads).
But if your speaker is really demanding and wants more power than circa 150W, the XLS has the goods. Next step up above the XLS level of performance is around 4x the price.

CSI

I have never seen the Odyssey Khartago compared to other amps in it's price/power range. It is always compared to amps selling for $10K or more. If you own one (even the basic non-tweaked model) you know this is not an exageration. If you can find one anywhere near your price, grab it.

simoon

Hard to beat a Hafler DH-500.

Usually you can get them for around $250. They show up on Ebay all the time. 250 watts/chan. There's one there now currently at $201.

They sound great as stock, but there are also some nicer DIY upgrades that can bring them up a few notches. They are also pretty close to bullet proof. No wonder they were used in many great studios (and probably still are) over the years.

If you have moderate DIY skills, for another $250 you can replace the driver boards with these driver boards and end up with a pretty amazing amp for the $ -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAFLER-DH500-HIGH-END-AUDIOPHILE-UPGRADE-KIT-TOSHIBA-JFET-CASCODE-TOPOLOGY-/371183314278?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item566c3fe566

I have a Hafler DH- 500 with an earlier driver board modification from the same seller, and it sounds great. Better than amps costing more than twice the price for sure. 

RDavidson

Maybe look at a Muse Model 100.
I haven't heard this amp myself, but apparently it is fantastic. I know a guy who swears by it. I've seen them pop up used, for well less than $500.
http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/491muse/

Phil A

I have never seen the Odyssey Khartago compared to other amps in it's price/power range. It is always compared to amps selling for $10K or more. If you own one (even the basic non-tweaked model) you know this is not an exageration. If you can find one anywhere near your price, grab it.

Odyssey would be a wonderful choice but a bit over the indicated price range (if it were me, I might wait a bit and up the upper limit to get something like a Khartago).

dms-dc

Hi -

How about a Carver AV-705? I think they run $500 or less. I have had one for years and adore it. I use it for 2-ch, multi-ch and HT, and I think it excels at all of them.

I find it very quiet, neutral erring maybe slightly on the side of sweet, transparent, detailed (but not at all harsh or bright), and impossible to stress out no matter what you throw at it. Gobs and gobs of clean, smooth power.

- DJ

steve f

Two suggestions in no particular order:

A Crown XLS 1500 or 2000. They impress me, and most amps don't. I bought two. After buying the first one to get an idea about Class D amps, I caught a sale and bought the second one.

ATI they manufacture a lot of amps for other companies. They are well built and sound very neutral. You can find a B Stock amp at their sales website. Classic Audio Parts sells a B Stock ATI AT 1202 for $595. ATI builds extremely well made amps and operate A/AB.

Both are great amps. They both will drive most loads effortlessly. Both are new with full warranty. I realize the ATI is $95 over your imposed limit. But it is an excellent amp.

In either case, you avoid used, not that used is bad, just new is a better deal in these two amps. Good luck.

Steve

jk@home

Not really a recommendation per say, but some of the brands mentioned here are sold on Amazon. And they have a 12 month free financing deal (with their card) if you go over $500. In other words you can buy the amp now that you can afford later, which will up your budget. :D Plus their 30 day return policy.

Bought my KEF LS50s and Nuforce preamp this way. They recently had some Rogue Audio stuff on there for a little bit, but I snoozed and losed.  :(

With the Crown amps, Guitar Center can have up to 18 months free financing, depending on the deal. And also a 30 day return policy.

Doublej

Two suggestions in no particular order:

A Crown XLS 1500 or 2000. They impress me, and most amps don't. I bought two. After buying the first one to get an idea about Class D amps, I caught a sale and bought the second one.

How much are they when on sale? Seems like a great way to get into class D sound.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

geowak

I can give my opinion and experience with a few brands. I think Parasound gives the best performance/price/customer service of all the amps I have owned. The Halo A23 would work at your price.
Next would be a McCormack DNA-125. Lastly I would not buy an Odyssey product. My experience with the components I had was poor, at best. I did not think the performance/ build quality or customer service was on par with Parasound.

Once again, my experience and opinion....

mcgsxr

Of the list so far I would favour the Crown XLS, or a NAD integrated.  C326BEE new or an older C350 or C352 would do the trick.

I am happy with my older Yamaha.  It may not be hifi but it makes good music with good ancillary gear.

A newer A500 or A700 would do it nicely too. 

steve f

Hi Doublej,

The 1500 was about $330 and 2000 was about $370 if I recall correctly. The current average is $399 for 1500 amps. There was a promo of some sort for $40 off which I believe was sponsored by Crown. The big deals were on Amazon, and they had the low prices. I don't know if it was a holiday promotion, or what.
I'd keep an eye on Amazon to see if it's more than a year end sale. I recommend you skip the 1000 series as the 1500 & 2000 have better noise specs. Hope this helps.

Steve

dlaloum

Used I have seen the XLS2500 go for $250, which in $/Watt has to be some sort of record.... and that usually includes the transferrable warranty (whatever is left of the 3 year warranty).

There is no fuss with Crown about warranty - they simply track the serial numbers.... and are very helpful.

I have a pair of XLS2500's feeding my very hungry Gallo Ref 3.1's .... my very sweet sounding 140W@8ohm Quad 606's just couldn't quite do it for these speakers.... the XLS' performance blew me away in not just the obvious areas (loudness) but in inner macro detail during complex symphonic music, staging, imaging....

If it sounds as if I am raving, it is because I was totally gobsmacked at the $ for performance ratio provided by these amps.

It really does drive home the fact that ClassD is the future (at least for the next generation I would think).