Amplifier recommendations, please. Solid state Power/int. under $500 used.

sonicxtc

Hi,
Wasn't sure where else to post this.
I'm about to acquire an ifi iDSD which includes a pre-amp/volume control, so....

I'm seeking either a power amplifier or integrated that has a great power amplifier section and can serve as just a power amp.
Prefer to buy 2nd hand, but I'm open.
Details
  • Need good current drive to feed some Fritz speakers, which I'm told require about 100 watts+ and/or high current.
  • Amp can run warm, but I don't want a toaster oven.
  • Prefer solid state or class d, etc., because I plan to leave this on for many hours per day.
  • I don't plan to really crank tunes with this, so maybe there's some flexibility on the power rating.
  • Roughly a $500 cap +/-. 
  • Must sound great at moderate volume levels.

Thank you.

I'm all over the map between some newer class d designs [e.g. Hypex, Crown], and the more classic class A/A/B designs, including used Adcom, Emotiva, Odyssey, Parasound, Belles. I'll consider new/used/vintage.

Thank  you for any input.

Edit: Yes, they are Fritz towers. I could not possibly have afforded them new, but found a pair here a few months ago for an extremely good price; about 1/5 the new price. They are excellent, and might even be GREAT.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2014, 11:27 pm by sonicxtc »

roscoeiii

Hmmm, at that price, I'd look into a Class D (the brand) or a Crown XLS.

Nothing much is coming to mind used that is Class A or A/B that I'd choose over a class d amp. You mention some nice brands, but don't think many offerings from them will be under $500.

You could potentially go vintage, and grab a classic receiver. But I am not very up on those, so no recs to make other than Pioneer or Sansui having devoted followings.

Think the vintage receivers would be on the warm side, while class d would likely be less warm, but more detailed.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate

Rusty Jefferson

I'm personally not a fan of inexpensive class D amps.   I like your idea of the Odyssey. Perhaps an upgraded Statos.  There are other small shops doing mods and upgrades at reasonable prices.  Places like Musical Concepts/Design has a revolving used/trade in page of things that have been upgraded and sound quite good for the money. Basically, the only original parts are the chassis and transformer, plus a warranty.
http://www.musicaldesign.com/Demo_Used.html

Nick77

Odyssey would be great but I dont think ive ever seen them priced used at $500. I vote Hypex UCD series. :)

Phil A

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130386.msg1378324#msg1378324

I'd have to agree at that price point, that is one of the choices.  I have an Emotiva XPA-200 in my 3rd system.  Very nice for the money.

Also, there's the original Adcom 555

The OP did not indicate which speakers were to be used (unless I just missed it)

Nick77

Really nice set of Fritz monitors I believe, certainly worthy of a nice amp.

Phil A

Really nice set of Fritz monitors I believe, certainly worthy of a nice amp.

If that is the case then unless something really great came up, I'd wait and stretch the budget a drop.

Folsom

The Crown XLS with at least one modification appears to be a real budget champ. If you're not able to DIY, I don't know how you'd beat it, at least not when you need more than a few watts.

sonicxtc

Thank you Phil, Nick77, Rusty and marvda, Roscoeiii....everyone.

Current finds:
Emotiva...the ones you mentioned. Thanks for the tip.
Emotiva XPA-200, also used and quite affordable.
Adcom 535 found locally with adcom GTP 400 if I want that, too. $160 and $140 respectively.
ATI 1502...local.
Hypex modules....long story, modules only, so = ? I'll check in with Nick about these.

ATI. The ATI is definitely of interest given the price, availability and lineage, which I'm just now learning about.

Emotiva. I'm NOT real familiar with the differences in the Emotiva line up, but I gather they have quite a following. And, a transferable warranty.

If anyone has any further ideas or input re: ATI vs Emotiva vs Adcom, I'd love to hear it. The guy with the ATI claims they are a top amp and elsewhere I read they are equal to or better than Bryston. 150 watts.

Thank you guys for the input. Will check back here, soon.

Early B.

I have owned the ATI 1502 and currently own the Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier (predecessor to the XPA-200). ATI amps are fine for HT, but I would not consider them for a 2-channel system. The Emotiva is the better value, and looks and sounds much better than the ATI.

This is also a good deal:  http://app.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-emotiva-xpa-3-first-generation-very-good-condition-2014-11-28-amplifiers-11934-center-moriches-ny

You can use the third channel to power a passive sub. But for your budget, you can buy a brand new XPA-200 for $339.

I've owned several Emotiva amps over the years at different price points (except the reference models), and they all sound the same. The differences are in power and features.

I.Greyhound Fan

I would look at Adcom, Parasound, Rotel, Belles Hot Rod 150A and Peach Tree on the used market.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-parasound-hca-1500a-parasound-hca-1500a-2014-11-28-amplifiers-01854-lowell-ma

Jonathon Janusz

Depending on how loud you normally listen, and the size of your room, check out the Virtue Audio circle here on AC.  You can pick up a brand new One.3 for $500.  Tripath class D integrated tops out at 87wpc into 4 ohms (Fritz are usually low impedance speakers if I'm remembering right, no?). 

Not quite the 100+ wpc you asked for, but it checks all the other boxes you're after, I think.  I'm still happy with my (earlier model) Sensation M901, doing fine with 87db efficient 8-ohm load two ways currently.  I think you can either jumper the One.3 to bypass the volume control or just maxing it out does the same?  Would have to ask Seth at Virtue to be sure, as my memory on his latest model is a little fuzzy.

I've also seen some of the older Onix integrateds come up for around that money from time to time.  I had one of the 120wpc A/B solid state models, and it was quite a surprising beast for not a lot of money.  Maybe hit up Hugh from Angel City Audio, as he used to be a distributor and might still have a line on some trade ins or b-stock?

Phil A

This is a really nice amp for the money - http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-amber-series-70-power-amplifier-recapped-with-new-connectors-2014-11-17-amplifiers-84152-salt-lake-city-ut

Owned one many moons ago.  A lot more powerful than the ratings (it replaced a Phase Linear way back when in my system).  However, the problem with something really old is finding someone who can fix it if there is a problem.  I loved that amp.

sonicxtc

Thanks guys.
Looking for any final suggestions.
I think I'm aiming at Emotiva or a used Adcom. I'm sure there is better out there, but I'm looking and not finding anything.

If anyone is reading this with something to sell, please PM me because I'm ready to buy tonight.

Thanks everyone!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
The IFi Micro iDSD is a great value for the $ - but I wouldn't be trying to use it for preamplifier duties as well.  I just don't think the pot in it is gonna be good enough for that vs even a modestly priced new or even used integrated amp even at the sub $500 budget.  And not having a remote is honestly a significant inconvenience not conducive to listening sessions.

I'd be looking at the many options new or used from Marantz, NAD and Peachtree- even if it's below the 100W you've suggested.  From Marantz the PM series of integrated amps, from NAD the C326BEE can be had very close to $500 and likely will have all the power you need, as would a Peachtree Decco 65 that's often being sold at $500 new at many places. Even if you stretch a bit you could have a 100WPC Jolida 1501 hybrid amp for a bit of tube fun (in the pre stage).  These go from around $550-700.

Remember also that amps more than about 10 years old may soon require recaps or be off spec. So don't assume you may not be into a repair too far out. 

Nonetheless, if you really just want an amp and want maximum power and musicality, this Perreaux on Audiogon would be the ticket :

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-perreaux-pmf-2350-perreaux-2350-stereo-amp-2014-11-03-amplifiers-54701-eau-claire-wi

I had one a few years back and kind of regret selling it.  It's a New Zealand brand that dropped off the radar here in the US, but the build and sound quality is superb.

foz1982

• When I listen to PF the neigbors listen to PF
Check out e-bay under canhthuan, he has a adcom gfa500 amp, 200w*2. just listed.
I bought from him in the past. Honest guy.

good luck
Scott

charmerci

I wouldn't buy an older Adcom. One engineer/reviewer type did some basic, electrical tests and when tested under loads, didn't do very well.

Did you see these ads here on AC?

Rotel -
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128754.0

Emotiva
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130629.0

sonicxtc

Anyone have an opinion on this?

B&K M-200 Sonatas--monoblocks.
Yes, they are much older than going with a new or nearly new Emotiva and that is a minor concern.
Are these in a totally different league than the Emotiva? Not?
Are these known to be reliable even though 20 years old?

Thanks guys.
Almost there.

mcgsxr

I bought an ST202 here on AC earlier this year, for use with my then Paradigm 20's.

Although 20 years old, it worked without a hitch, and sounded very good.

I'd buy another one.

Like any piece that old, you may in time need to invest in caps for it, but it ran 24/7 for months for me.