Anyone spatchcock their turkey this year?

ctviggen

Anyone spatchcock their turkey this year?
« on: 29 Nov 2014, 11:45 am »
I've tried cooking turkeys many different ways:  smoking, brining, etc.  I think this might be the best recipe I've ever done:

http://www.kcet.org/living/food/the-public-kitchen/julia-childs-stuffed-turkey.html

I bought too large a turkey, though, and had to double the recipe for stuffing and cook the legs separately from the breast.  This turned out great, though, as the legs cooked about a half hour faster then the breast.  The thigh meat is awesome cooked this way. 

In this method, the bird is basically spatchcocked, but the breast is also separated from the legs/thighs.  The breast is brined whereas the legs/thighs are not.  The thigh bone is removed and the thigh is seasoned with salt, pepper, and sage.  You then truss up the thigh.  This means once the turkey is done, you easily slice the thigh meat into "rounds".  It was delicious.

The stuffing also soaks up all the juices and turns out great.  I even forgot to put in the cranberries, and the stuffing was still fantastic.  The bird also cooks quite quickly.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Anyone spatchcock their turkey this year?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2014, 03:26 pm »
That looks pretty dang good.  I just picked up a copy of Ms. Childs "The Art of French Cooking" but haven't gone through it.  Is this recipe in there?