Solid State Amp to Pair with CJ Pre Amp Act II

stump4545

Solid State Amp to Pair with CJ Pre Amp Act II
« on: 26 Nov 2014, 08:47 pm »
was going to pick up a Act II CJ Pre Amp locally and was looking for an equally nice Solid Sate Pre amp to go with it.

Any suggestions for models to look at?

thank you

Mr Peabody

Re: Solid State Amp to Pair with CJ Pre Amp Act II
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2015, 04:11 am »
I had a CJ CT6 preamp that I matched to a Threshold amp and the synergy was something special, I really enjoyed the combo.  So if wanting something more modern than a Threshold, look at Coda which was started by some of the Threshold crew or Pass Labs, Nelson also was involved with Threshold.  When I went with Pass components I traded my CT6 so never got to hear it with a Pass amp.  I suspect they'd be great together as Pass is a very musical solid state piece.  Pass offers stereo Class A/B that run Class A up to a point before switching to B, and they have Class A monoblocks.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2015, 04:04 pm »
I use a Pass X250 amp with my BAT tube preamp and love the combo.  I almost bought a CJ tube preamp to go with my amp until I stumbled upon the BAT.   I think any of the Pass amps would be a good match.

What is your budget and what speakers are you using?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2015, 06:46 pm »
With the rich character of the CJ consider class "D". Bryston mates very well with CJ. A neutral or even slightly lean or bright amp will mate with CJ.  The obvious being a CJ SS amp to consider.

charles

Mr Peabody

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2015, 12:30 am »
I had a Bryston 3Bst I hooked to my CJ pre and I did not like the combo.  The Bryston and CJ are two different sonic characters where CJ and amps like Pass are more alike than different.  If you are able to hear PR&T, both CJ and Pass have a good portion of it where the Bryston was more technical in presentation.  It sounded to me like the Bryston cancelled out some of the PR&T (pace, rhythm & timing)

I used to have Krell then did a 180 to Conrad Johnson, it sounded like the CJ breathed soul into the music.  There were trade offs but listening to the CJ was the first time I really experienced that type of musicality from electronics.