Bi-amping Speakers

Housteau

Bi-amping Speakers
« on: 11 Sep 2004, 03:55 pm »
There appears to be so many benefits to dividing up the work a single amplifier needs to do to run some speaker systems properly, that I find it hard to imagine why this isn't given more careful thought.  There is always a lot of discussions going on about this amp vs. that amp on properly being able to drive such and such speaker, usually do to widely varing lower impedence curves vs frequency.  It seem to me that a lot of this can be avoided by simply going the bi-amp route.  Also, usually running a single amp can get quite expensive when considering the quality of that amp needed to do all of that full frequency work.  

The VMPS Super Tower III is designed for actively bi-amping and it's amplifier requirements are quite reasonable.  The RM/X is passively bi-amped and it's requirements are higher.  What I am wondering is if the RM/x and some of the other larger models were actively bi-amped (using an active external crossover), then their amplifier requirements would also become much more reasonable and much less expensive.  There is the extra cost of the active crossover, but that is more than offset by the lower cost of the amplifiers needed to join it.

In my experience the latest and greatest (read expensive) amplifiers are not necessarily the best sounding, or have sonic improvements over those of years gone by.  I have found that the best sounding systems are by far those that have been dialed in with components that work well together.  I have yet to hear amplifiers that surpass some older designs from companies such as VTL and Quicksilver, just to name two.

The only reason I see to spend all that money on the latest products is if one desires to own the latest products.  However, if better sound is your goal, then I feel there are other roads to follow that can take you there.

All of this is just my opinion of course.  It follows my post under the NHT SA-3 Subwoofer Amplifier thread, where I talk a bit about my Eagle IIa on bass duty.  Why spend more on a newer bigger name when it will not bring the sonic goods along with it?  Well, ok lets say that it can at least equal what you have now.  Is it still worth it?

You see, I used to be in the other camp.  I was always seeking out the latest and greatest and following all the equipment reviews.  I truly believed that newer gear must be an improvement over the older.  It took many painful and expensive lessons to finally see the truth.  I learned to trust my ears and not my eyes or ego.  Fortunately I have a friend that showed me the way to the truth and light.  

Dave