Robert Plant is NUTS

sts9fan

Re: Robert Plant is NUTS
« Reply #20 on: 11 Nov 2014, 12:19 am »
A) that money won't change his life
B) he does not have the range to sing the songs properly

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2014, 12:33 am »
Remember all lyrics may be a prob in that age.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 11 Nov 2014, 12:38 am »
1.  The idea that musicians "owe it to the fans" is reprehensible and vampiric.  Stop fetishizing your musical "heroes"
2.  Robert Plant is far from retired, and is generally working really hard on the music he wants to play now.
3.  Staying true to his artistic vision should be applauded, he has enough money to be satisfied with his lifestyle, only epic greed (sinful) of the type which brought down this country's economy in 2008 would have him "do it for the money".
4.  Listen to Celebration Day, he can still sing much of the Zep repetoire in fine style, even if they have to change keys a bit.
5.  Page/Jones should get together and make some new music, I know Jimmy has been hinting lately that he is working on some new stuff-I hope this comes to fruition.  It would be fine with me if this instrumental, or perhaps they might team up with an interesting, younger, female vocalist.
6.  Good on Robert to stay true to his ideals, and continue his carreer in the way which suits him.  It is much better to be be creative and vital making new music, than it is to re-hash the glory days of 30+ years ago.

OzarkTom

« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2014, 12:55 am »
Those guys could never spend that much money before they died, I don't blame them. They are making enough off of their re-issues to live a great life.

Mike B.

« Reply #24 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:56 am »
I took a look this morning at the net worth of Page and Jones. Jones number is $80 million. Page has $170 million.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #25 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:13 am »
Those guys could never spend that much money before they died, I don't blame them. They are making enough off of their re-issues to live a great life.

I've seen Robert twice in the last few years and he is still on top of his game. He plays some new stuff, then some old Zeppelin and solo songs he can still sing well. The band is really tight and musicianship is second to none.

He always raps up with the classic Zeppelin sound doing the big psychedelic keyboard and guitar full sound thing they did back in their hay day. I took my 23 year old daughter last summer who goes to several shows a year. At the end of the show she looked at me and said she was kind of sad, when I asked her why she said she new she would never see a show that good again. Heck, I saw them back in the seventies and he smokes what I saw back then. A big part of that was the venue size and the fact I saw him outside of late and not in a big indoor coliseum. He plays with the best of the best, who would say no to going on tour with Plant?

Woodsea

« Reply #26 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:13 am »
Please read the latest Bio- Robert Plant/A life.  It asks the same question...his answer is always the same.  Been there, done that...never could be the same with or without Bonzo.  We will never sound as good as we did in '75, as many people on this thread have written.  He is an artist who is not starving.
Also, he has reportedly said this particular offer and decline was not truthful.  He would do it for another noble reason, (charity) he is a hippy thru and thru. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #27 on: 11 Nov 2014, 03:50 am »
Have to concur with what has been said here so far by many others : we really don't need 60+ year olds doing a reunion Led Zepplin tour, and applaud Plant for having the sense of reality and humility to acknowledge it. Which is not to say that I wouldn't be interested in hearing, whether recorded or live, new material / efforts collaboratively or separately from Led Zeppelin members. And this is coming from a Led Zeppelin fan who's never been to one of their concerts in person.  Even I would be more interested in buying the remastered albums and / or watching one of the tour videos / movies in their prime than going to a live reunion tour at this point. 

mhconley

« Reply #28 on: 11 Nov 2014, 04:09 am »
1.  The idea that musicians "owe it to the fans" is reprehensible and vampiric.  Stop fetishizing your musical "heroes"
2.  Robert Plant is far from retired, and is generally working really hard on the music he wants to play now.
3.  Staying true to his artistic vision should be applauded, he has enough money to be satisfied with his lifestyle, only epic greed (sinful) of the type which brought down this country's economy in 2008 would have him "do it for the money".
4.  Listen to Celebration Day, he can still sing much of the Zep repetoire in fine style, even if they have to change keys a bit.
5.  Page/Jones should get together and make some new music, I know Jimmy has been hinting lately that he is working on some new stuff-I hope this comes to fruition.  It would be fine with me if this instrumental, or perhaps they might team up with an interesting, younger, female vocalist.
6.  Good on Robert to stay true to his ideals, and continue his carreer in the way which suits him.  It is much better to be be creative and vital making new music, than it is to re-hash the glory days of 30+ years ago.

Unfortunately, every time I have seen him on one TV show or another recently he is singing Led Zeppelin songs with yet another band he has thrown together.  I had hoped after the reunion at O2 seven years ago Zeppelin would get together for a small tour.  I am sure the tickets would be outrageously expensive though.  Truthfully, I'd like to see another collaboration with Alison Krauss and T Bone Burnett.

Martin

Andre2

« Reply #29 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:09 pm »
Robert Plant is wise. 

Anybody craving for a concert with LZ songs go to Led Zepelin 2 concerts.  They are very good.

Otherwise, lots of materials available.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #30 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:48 pm »
I think something we may have all overlooked is the fact that the only Way Branson (a true capitalist) would ever front almost a billion dollars is.....If he had the rights to Fricking market everything that wasn't nailed down.  And I mean everything, I would only guess that the contract would be VERY ownerious to say the least!  What do you guys think?

jriggy

« Reply #31 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:04 pm »
Why want your legacy tainted by a dozen (or more?) shows, out of 35 that are not top notch. Plant would have the hardest job of the four... In the press conference for the Celebration Day DVD an audience member asked Plant how many time they had to "fix" his voice in mastering and post production. He said a few or so. I watched it and think it was much more.

OzarkTom

« Reply #32 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:06 pm »
I think something we may have all overlooked is the fact that the only Way Branson (a true capitalist) would ever front almost a billion dollars is.....If he had the rights to Fricking market everything that wasn't nailed down.  And I mean everything, I would only guess that the contract would be VERY ownerious to say the least!  What do you guys think?

I strongly feel these frontmen is also behind the ticket scampers, or are the main ticket scalpers. This makes a $100 ticket become an $800 ticket. A local doctor with a gold card got one of the first chances in the local Eagles concert, and the best he could buy was a second tier ticket. Boy, did he ever complain.

Photon46

« Reply #33 on: 11 Nov 2014, 05:08 pm »
I think Robert shows good taste and obvious concern for the Zep's legacy by turning down Branson's offer. One listen to their last reunion outing "Celebration Day" should be enough to convince anyone their best days are far behind them. I'd hoped that the direction Page & Plant had taken on 1994's "No Quarter" would herald a new musical path that incorporated the old catalog into a new interpretive direction (which I thought was quite successful). Plant knows he can't sing like he did in the past and if they can't agree on a new direction that respects his current limitations, any further attempts to recreate the past are going to come off as pathetic commercial pandering. Don't know if the sloppy guitar on "Celebration Day" just reflected Page and the bands lack of practice time or if Page's skills have eroded but that may weigh in Plant's decision as well. I think Robert's doing really decent work now on his own and his creative legacy is likely to be far better off for passing on this.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #34 on: 11 Nov 2014, 07:05 pm »
As fun as it would be to see them again live Plant is very wise to continue down the road he's on. Besides them never living up to expectations Plant has made it clear he doesn't want to live in the past. He's moving on and living his life as an artist who wants to create. He puts on an amazing show now and he takes you back and makes you feel good about it. 

Larkston Zinaspic

sfox7076

« Reply #36 on: 11 Nov 2014, 09:14 pm »
This is what John Paul Jones said 20+ years ago.  I guess they go in phases of not wanting to go on tour and then reuniting for one show every 10 years. 

OzarkTom

usp1

« Reply #38 on: 13 Dec 2014, 01:13 pm »
  Truthfully, I'd like to see another collaboration with Alison Krauss and T Bone Burnett.

Martin

As much as I love LZ, hearing Plant and Krauss together was a great treat.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 13 Dec 2014, 02:31 pm »
As much as I love LZ, hearing Plant and Krauss together was a great treat.

Agreed, saw this tour at Red Rocks.  Great band, cool song selection (The Battle of Evermore!)...
They did try and do a second album, but apparently it was not working.  I think T-Bone Burnett had a lot to do with how nice that album is.