Pink Floyd, The Endless River

vinyl_lady

Wayner

Re: Pink Floyd, The Endless River
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2014, 10:10 pm »
Laura, is this not just kind of a spin off from the Division Bell? Are there actually any new songs in the LP?

Just wondering........

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2014, 10:24 pm »
Wayner,

from what I have read, this recording is of material recorded during the Division Bell sessions in the early 1990s. Mostly instrumentals built around Richard Wright's keyboards. There is supposed to be one new song with lyrics. If you are a Pink Floyd junkie like me and have everything they recorded including a couple of bootlegs, the album is a nice addition to the collection.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2014, 03:44 am »
All same info I've heard. 

Really like that the LPs also come w/ a download card.  All LP sales should include the same, honestly.  Makes the LP purchase so much more of sure bet.

fex02

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2014, 12:39 pm »
thanks for the suggestion.just ordered! 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2014, 03:49 pm »
The entire album is on Spotify, so you can preview it before you buy it.

smilach

« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2014, 09:21 pm »
My Blu-Ray edition arrived this afternoon and I just listened to/watched it, including the "bonus" audio and video tracks.  I am definitely a fan of the post-Waters Floyd, but the whole thing left me flat, feeling like I just wasted my time listening to it and definitely wasted my money buying it.  YMMV.

Also, the Blu-Ray version specs the stereo output at 96kHz both on the packaging and in the setup options but my PerfectWave MKII DAC is displaying 48kHz which is the spec for the DVD version. I purchased the Blu-Ray version for the higher resolution and didn't even get that!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2014, 09:32 pm »
Sorry to hear you didn't like it, I listened to it last night and loved it.
Although, I listened for free, so maybe that had something to do with it.  :lol:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2014, 12:16 am »
My Blu-Ray edition arrived this afternoon and I just listened to/watched it, including the "bonus" audio and video tracks.  I am definitely a fan of the post-Waters Floyd, but the whole thing left me flat, feeling like I just wasted my time listening to it and definitely wasted my money buying it.  YMMV.

Also, the Blu-Ray version specs the stereo output at 96kHz both on the packaging and in the setup options but my PerfectWave MKII DAC is displaying 48kHz which is the spec for the DVD version. I purchased the Blu-Ray version for the higher resolution and didn't even get that!!
Are you sure you have the right audio layer selected?
I have the BR and my Oppo 95 shows 96/24.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2014, 01:04 am »
For a preview, here's the one hour album on YouTube;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADOQQiwgU0Y

EDIT: This isn't Pink Floyd after all, it's a tribute band.  Sorry.  :duh:
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2014, 01:52 pm by Bob in St. Louis »

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2014, 10:29 am »
For a preview, here's the one hour album on YouTube;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADOQQiwgU0Y

Thanks for posting it. I listened to it once. That's good enough for me. It's alright, good but certainly not great in my book.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2014, 10:56 am »
I listened to the first album last night - nothing too exciting on it.  It's good to complete a collection, I suppose.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2014, 01:53 pm »
Thanks for posting it. I listened to it once. That's good enough for me. It's alright, good but certainly not great in my book.
This wasn't Pink Floyd after all, it's a tribute band.  Sorry.  :duh:
The album is on Spotify though.

smilach

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2014, 04:01 pm »
Are you sure you have the right audio layer selected?
I have the BR and my Oppo 95 shows 96/24.

It isn't possible to choose a layer that is at 48kHz.  There is one stereo layer and two 5.1 layers.  All three are spec'd at 96/24.  I have tried setting the Oppo output set to both 96kHz LPCM and Bitstream and it made no difference.  Since the Oppo does not upsample or downsample, the only way I can think of for the PS Audio Perfectwave MKII to be seeing a 48kHz signal is the source is truly 48kHz.

BobM

« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2014, 05:57 pm »
I just received it and gave a first listen. I guess I was hoping for some more "song" content, but this is really just a bunch a soundscapes that belong "between" the songs. There's a few that could possibly have been turned into songs with vocals, like Ansina, and Allons-Y. Too bad they didn't expand on those.

All in all, what do you expect from a group that isn't really a group anymore and using past "outtakes" to release something after 20 years to make money on their previous fame? Not bad, but it will only be called "good" because of their past, not because it really competes with the newer prog groups out there.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 17 Nov 2014, 06:20 pm »
Bob, I would agree with your review, spot on. Although I do like the soundscape aspect as opposed to the vocals. Seems as time goes on, I'm less and less interested in what artists are complaining about.  :lol:
They play together well, and I enjoy hearing it. The entire album sounds more like they got together and jammed with the tape rolling, that a true effort at a new album.
But yea, it's not as good as some of their work, but certainly better than most of it. I dig it.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2014, 08:02 pm »
BobM,  what are other prog rock groups that I should give a listen to?

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan and have always enjoyed David Gilmour's guitar work. 

Since I don't think there will be any more Pink Floyd released,  I'm looking around for something new to listen to.   Oh, I also had everything from the Alan Parsons Project.

HsvHeelFan

PRELUDE

« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2014, 11:14 pm »
BobM,  what are other prog rock groups that I should give a listen to?

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan and have always enjoyed David Gilmour's guitar work. 

Since I don't think there will be any more Pink Floyd released,  I'm looking around for something new to listen to.   Oh, I also had everything from the Alan Parsons Project.

HsvHeelFan
Try Camel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB6KOW9lUbc

doorman

« Reply #18 on: 17 Nov 2014, 11:21 pm »
Porcupine Tree, for one. The prog rock genre stretches way back.
Lots to discover--

pansixt

« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2014, 01:15 am »
My sister and I previewed several tracks on Spotify. Her conclusion was a slight bit more forgiving than mine. As it turns out she heard some of the same tracks on this recording done live in London and afterwards in Edinburgh where she lived for many years, during the G8 or Live8 shows in 2005. Some even with Roger Waters (who appeared with the Floyd for whatever sake, according to her).. Some of her fondest memories were sitting with Dave Mathews and talking about being so far from Virginia. And the Who, and sitting backstage in Murrayfield with her husband and old friend Annie Lennox. It also marked the tenth time she saw James Brown, who ended the Edinburgh show and by that time the thousands who were protesting to the tunes (and with the presence) of Billy Bragg, were rockin' in the streets outside the ring. It seems, they're always trying to put me and James in Jail. However, in all the music she heard during these events, the rendition of Loch Lomond was by far her fave.

Modify: Melody my sister, just dragged out the Dido hoodie she was given and not to forget Texas and the Proclaimers whom were the shit at that show as well.  Now, me sister wants to correct me shit  Blimey.