Anyone else wish there were high end 2 channel receivers or preamps with HDMI?

srb

Spearit Sound has a refurbished C390DD ($2600 MSRP) for $1750 shipped and another Audiogon seller has a DD HDMI-1 module ($300 MSRP) for $150.

BTW, the USB input is limited to 24/96.

Steve

RDavidson

Glad to help, if you have a NAD dealer in your area you should be able to take one home, before you buy it, and see if it's right for you.

Doing some reading, it looks like the NAD would indeed do what I'm looking for. Interesting. With an Oppo, one wouldn't set it up to provide the 0.1 LFE signal. You'd just set the fronts to run full range (in the Oppo). In the NAD is where the bass management would take place, as well as equalization. That's pretty cool. I'd seen the M2 and the C390DD, but didn't really fully comprehend these products' uniqueness......and part of that is because I didn't care at the time. It was only recently that I started thinking about high end 2 channel "HT" and HDMI integration.
Regarding the price, I don't think a unit like this would necessarily need to cost so much.....if you think about it in terms of being a stripped down HT receiver. What makes the NAD so expensive is its full digital technology and its modularity.

RDavidson

I never thought this thread would make it to 3 pages and have so many twists and turns, then end up at an existing solution that appears to be very very close to the 1 box solution I thought didn't exist. :thumb:

Doublej

Doing some reading, it looks like the NAD would indeed do what I'm looking for. Interesting. With an Oppo, one wouldn't set it up to provide the 0.1 LFE signal. You'd just set the fronts to run full range (in the Oppo). In the NAD is where the bass management would take place, as well as equalization. That's pretty cool. I'd seen the M2 and the C390DD, but didn't really fully comprehend these products' uniqueness......and part of that is because I didn't care at the time. It was only recently that I started thinking about high end 2 channel "HT" and HDMI integration.
Regarding the price, I don't think a unit like this would necessarily need to cost so much.....if you think about it in terms of being a stripped down HT receiver. What makes the NAD so expensive is its full digital technology and its modularity.

Help me more fully understand this.

The Oppo is going to handle the audio decoding and feed two channel audio to the NAD through the analog out of the Oppo? The NAD then equalizes and splits the audio into 2.1 sending the left and right channels to the internal amplifier and a line level output to the powered subwoofer?

Via HDMI the Oppo sends the video to the NAD for switching? To accomplish this you need to add an HDMI module to the NAD?

Since you mentioned HDMI switching is there another source involved too?

Will the Oppo or the NAD deal with lip sync issues if there are any?

RDavidson

Help me more fully understand this.

The Oppo is going to handle the audio decoding and feed two channel audio to the NAD through the analog out of the Oppo? The NAD then equalizes and splits the audio into 2.1 sending the left and right channels to the internal amplifier and a line level output to the powered subwoofer?

Via HDMI the Oppo sends the video to the NAD for switching? To accomplish this you need to add an HDMI module to the NAD?

Since you mentioned HDMI switching is there another source involved too?

Will the Oppo or the NAD deal with lip sync issues if there are any?

As I don't have either an Oppo or this NAD unit, I'm making some assumptions:

1. Decoding as well as speaker management, and I believe lip synch, can be done in the Oppo and the signal can be sent via HDMI.
2. The NAD, with it's bass mgmt and equalization, should take the already decoded audio from the Oppo. With HDMI, it should work if the Oppo is set to output the correct signal (decoded bitstream, I believe).....but, I'm not entirely sure.
3. The NAD has an HDMI output, so I'm assuming that it is should be able to just allow video pass-through (to the TV) and only deal with the audio.

A lot hinges on how the NAD handles everything via HDMI.
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2014, 06:52 pm by RDavidson »

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
I never thought this thread would make it to 3 pages.....
...and in such a short time, it caught me off guard!   :o
I'm a bit late to the game, and this seems like outdated information, but let's all play nice together. Things were getting snippy there.

Bob - HT moderator.

RDavidson

...and in such a short time, it caught me off guard!   :o
I'm a bit late to the game, and this seems like outdated information, but let's all play nice together. Things were getting snippy there.

Bob - HT moderator.

Yeah, I know. I was getting a bit frustrated with comments that weren't contributive AT ALL, and comments from those who weren't seeing the point.....which I acknowledged likely centered around trying to have a conversation about a product that doesn't exist (though the NAD C390DD is EXTREMELY close). I was getting a bit bombarded left and right from both types of comments at around the same time, and felt I needed to just be as concise as possible. I know I was starting to unravel a bit........but thanks to some others who share the same thoughts / situation and helped clarify things further, we got back on track.

My apologies to those I got a bit short with.