Pro's:  flawless treble

cons: cost me $400 aust each!

I have listened to the:

- revelators by scan speak.
- seas exell tweeter
- top end vifa tweeters
- even the r3's by raven
- also the newer tweeters by the guy who designed the ravens

and i would still say the r1's sound best in my ears.

I dont really know why they are so good but there is basically nothing wrong that you can pick with them -

they display the sounds so well separated its not funny...

Play so high and so clearly and so loudly it makes me want to cry :)

go listen to a pair some time!

Rocket

raven 1 tweeters
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2004, 11:57 pm »
Hi Werticus,

I agree with your comments regarding the raven 1 ribbon as this is the tweeter used in my current speakers.

They do, however beam more than a conventional (this isn't a problem for me) tweeter and i have torn 5 ribbons in 3 months.

regards

rocket

kyrill

raven r1 tweeter
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2004, 09:29 pm »
hi
How can you torn 5 ribbons?

I have a Raven2  like tweeter The "Aurum Cantus G3"  and I can't touch the ribbon mechanically from outside. Or  did you destroy it with power out of the amps? And then I wonder as they are so efficient close to 100 db  for 1 watt. So how loud dou you have to play in order to destroy them?
I have the ribbon directly coupled to my amp (AKSA 55 watts) without a filter (direct amping as in tri amping with an active filter (The DEQX preamp) and can safely put on the amp every time.

Seen yr response below, I see

Rocket

raven 1 tweeter
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2004, 11:18 pm »
Hi Kyrill,

I usually tear on average 1 ribbon per year on my speakers, however lately i have been tearing them on a regular basis.

It has only occurred since i bought a hagtech bugle phonostage which is battery powered.  I am forgetting to turn it on in the correct sequence and i am getting a large Pop sound thru my speakers.

I am presuming that this is the reason i am tearing these ribbons on a regular basis.  I'm looking at purchasing another phonostage and hopefully this will resolve the problem for me.

regards

rocket

WerTicus

raven r1 tweeter
« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2004, 03:48 pm »
Lol ;-)

you should build a softstart for that one rocket... or be more carful!

I dont find the r1's to be very beamy actually

nothing like the r3's! now THAT is beamy.

I am running 12db/oct at 3khz with 510w behind them :)

they go very very loud and i am looking forward to breaking my first ribbon!

Rocket

raven 1 ribbon tweeter
« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2004, 08:42 am »
Hi Werticus,

Have you bought a pair of raven 1 tweeters?  How much did pat charge you for a pair?

Have you built one of his speakers?  

I have read in other threads that some people have indicated they have never heard a good pair of ribbon speakers.  May'be they haven't heard the raven tweeter.

regards

rod

WerTicus

raven r1 tweeter
« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2004, 03:40 pm »
i am not supposed to disclose how much pat sold me the tweeters for ;-)

he gave me a good deal put it that way.

I am in the process of putting together the reference ones, tomorrow i get another 'bit' :)

.... tis fun building 8k speakers bit by bit it does not hurt so much spending 500 a fortnight!