JVC digital receiver in Sydney?

Jay S

« on: 9 Sep 2004, 10:39 am »
Hi all.  I'm in Sydney for a few more weeks on a project.  Does anyone know where's a good place to get a good deal on consumer audio?  

I noticed on the JVC website that the RX-F10 digital receiver is available for $549 (list price).  

http://www.jvc-australia.com/products/_products_sub_group_details.asp?ID=1331

While the Panasonic XR25/45/50 seem to be more well known, the JVC seems to be much more musical sounding (there are several very long threads here on AC).  A$549 is about US$400, which isn't too far from the U.S. mail order price of US$270.  How much lower is street price vs list price on consumer electronics here in Australia?  

Cheers,

- Jay

JohnR

« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2004, 12:53 pm »
You're in Sydney?  :o  Let's meet up sometime!

Can't really answer the question on where to get good deals... you could try Good Guys, there's one in Willoughby (a bit north of the bridge). But it's not like the States here...

JohnR

Jay S

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2004, 04:29 am »
Sounds good!  Sorry I didn't reply sooner.  My wife and I went to Cairns for a 3 day weekend -- it was our first time there and we managed to get in 7 dives (including 2 night dives).  

Are you guys here in Sydney planning a get together at some point?  If so, I'd love to hear the AKSA amps.

I wrote to JVC Australia and they sent me the name & address of a store in the CBD that I should check out (can't recall if it was Harvey Norman or not).  I am considering getting the JVC digital receiver for a 2nd system and maybe a possible platform with mods -- I've got an 8 watt/channel 300B integrated amp but would like more power for when I want to rock the house.  Having a tuner would be nice too, plus I could stack a cd/dvd player on top of the JVC - no can do with my tube amp!  I've heard the JVC sounds tube-like and musical -- that plus 100 watts/channel means it may well fit the bill.  I need to check how much this receiver costs in HK when I get back there but as a fall-back I may get one here in Sydney (recognizing that prices will not be as low as the U.S. unfortunately).  I could get a JVC shipping from the U.S. but I want 220v not 110v.