Tube converters (something to think about).

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Tube converters (something to think about).
« on: 17 Oct 2014, 02:55 pm »
So I got a couple of matched pairs of NOS Tung Sol 6F8G black glass round plate.  I needed adopters to use them as 6sn7s.  On I go to E-bay and order a couple of them from Taiwan.  They show up and I fit them with the tubes and test them as 6sn7s.  Nothing shows up on one section.  Way over spec on the other section.  I tested the tubes as 6f8g and they tested fine on both sections.  So I am stuck with these adopters from overseas that are defective.  I am figuring they messed up the pin assignment and I can probably fix them.  I just don't think sending them back is much of an option since the shipping will cost more than what I paid for them.   :duh:

So I e-mailed Woo Audio and they are shipping me a pair.  Granted that Woo is charging me more but they are using more expensive teflon parts.  But the customer service is what really makes it good for me.  I was able to communicate with Mike and I feel like I can depend on their products.  Even if they arrive defective, I feel like I can talked to Woo and get them fixed.  They are in NY.  You know,  within 1 day of 1st class mailing distance.  5 hour drive if it came to that.  Who knows,  I may buy one of their headphone amps just because I like their service if this all works out. 

P.S.  If  any body has the diagram of pin assignment for 6f8g to 6sn7 conversion,  I would really appreciate it. 

JohnR

woodsyi

• Volunteer
Re: Tube converters (something to think about).
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:23 pm »
Hi Rim, these may help:

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=6F8G
http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=6SN7

Thanks John,

I am not sure if I am reading this right. 
6sn7

6f8g

Grid wire on 6f8g to pin 1 on 6sn7
4 to 3
2 to 7
7 to 8
8 to 6
5 to 4
6 to 5
3 to 2

Am I reading them right?

shadowlight

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:25 pm »
Rim,
I was just on Woo's website but do not see the adapters listed.  Are they only available via phone call?

Edit: Not listed separately but listed on various HA pages.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:27 pm »
I think so, although someone building an adapter would probably do

7 to 7
2 to 8

(Heater is not polarized)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:30 pm »
Rim,
I was just on Woo's website but do not see the adapters listed.  Are they only available via phone call?

They have them.  Just e-mail Mike or call them.  They offered it a few years ago and may have just taken it off due to lack of demand.  They still have them as I just got tracking information on my pair.

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2014, 08:09 am »
woodsyi,

Please report back with an update on how this worked out and what you think of the SQ of the 6F8Gs.

Thanks,
Jake