Upside-down Model T (using the Model T as a big bookshelf)

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
Hi all,

First of all, I just bought a 4BSST2 to replace an older power amp and I'm very pleased with the result so far.

Next change in line will probably be speakers...

But there lay my question;  Maybe more for James, or anybody who ever tried it with "floorstanders" in general...

Due to room constraint, wall and sreens placement, and main audio cabinet, I'm kind of "limited" to bookshelf speakers...  (I can't put floorstanders on the floor...)

I've been eyeing the "Mini T" so far, but I just had an idea tonight.

Could the "Model T" be put "upside down" on the audio cabinet ?

Placing them so would place the tweeters and mids at about ear level.  The woofers would be close to the ceiling...

Is this physically possible with the "Model T" ?  Would the speaker cabinet be "stable" ?

Would the sound scape change ?  Would the woofer near the ceiling cause any problem ?

I would probably need to "MacGyver" myself some alternative rubber puck to put between the speaker and the desk.

(Don't know if it changes anything or not, but I'm considering the "Passive" edition of the "Model T")

I'm just exploring as many options as possible here.  In a few years I intend on changing the layout of my basement and I wouldn't want to buy some expensive speakers just to have to change them in a few years.

Agreed, I would need to keep the covers on the speaker so that is doesn't look to weird.  But the covers on the "Model T" are almost from top to bottom so that wouldnt affect cosmetics.   :D

Thank you for taking time to read my long message.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Upside-down Model T (using the Model T as a big bookshelf)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2014, 11:27 am »
Hi AJ

I laughed when I first read this as I have been experimenting with stacked Model T's - thinking about an all out model called the T-REX  :thumb:

james

johzel

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:49 pm »
Why don't people "stack" any more?  Or do they?  I remember many years ago when we used to stack Advents to great success.  As I recall . . . the top speaker was placed "upside down" so the tweeters were next to each other . . .

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2014, 01:07 pm »
Why don't people "stack" any more?  Or do they?  I remember many years ago when we used to stack Advents to great success.  As I recall . . . the top speaker was placed "upside down" so the tweeters were next to each other . . .

Hi

I think people stacked because it really did provide for much lower distortion and lack of dynamic compression because of a doubling of the drivers.

Today through with modern measurement technologies we can see how the different drivers interact with each other and can fine tune the polar response given the extra drivers to provide for a much more coherent wave launch. So you can have the benefits of multiple drivers (lack of dynamic compression) without the downside of the destructive interference and reinforcement effects that simple stacking typically yields.

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2014, 07:05 pm »
I was gonna say... the Bryston's ARE stacked with drivers, top to bottom! :)

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2014, 09:14 pm »
AJ: It can be done, at one point I had a L/R matching PSB Stratus Gold center channel ( think Middle "T" size ) suspended upside down above a rear projection TV.   The 1/8" threaded steel rods hangers were strong and stable, this sounded and worked perfectly until I bought a bigger plasma TV, too tall DOH!.  The depth of the original TV placed the speaker front baffles about 2.75' from the rear wall, which was barely sufficient for the front ported PSB's. The problem I can foresee with the Big "T"s placed on an AV cabinet is the close proximity of the rear wall to the rear ports. Deep bass typically requires some room to breath.

You are probably far better off with your original excellent idea,  Mini "T"s across the front but add a couple of Mini "T" subs strategically placed out in your room.

Shawn

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2014, 01:50 am »
Thanks Shawn for your answer!

I knew from the start that it was a farfetch idea, but none the less, I wanted a definite answer.

I guess I'll look more into the "Mini T/Sub" for now.  When the time come to expand the room, I guess I can always use the Mini T as surround speakers and put the big T ones as main L/R.

And James, any pictures of your T-Rex experiment you want to share ?   :D

AJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2014, 12:47 pm »
Thanks Shawn for your answer!

I knew from the start that it was a farfetch idea, but none the less, I wanted a definite answer.

I guess I'll look more into the "Mini T/Sub" for now.  When the time come to expand the room, I guess I can always use the Mini T as surround speakers and put the big T ones as main L/R.

And James, any pictures of your T-Rex experiment you want to share ?   :D

AJ

Hi AJ

No pictures just experimenting.  I realized especially after undertaking the Bryston speaker project that moving lots of air at low distortion goes a long way to providing for a "you are there" audio system.  So given larger rooms the ability to move air becomes more and more difficult unless the radiating area (drivers) of the system increase in numbers. 

I am thinking the next evolutionary step for the Bryston speakers would be something that approaches the doubling of a Model T in terms of ultimate output capability so I am looking into that. It may have to be a 2 piece system with a Line source of Mids and Tweeters and a separate bass cabinet.  Still playing around with testing what driver arrays work best when it comes to a coherent wave launch.

james