Any Power over Ethernet (PoE) Wireless Access Points & Security Camera tips

skunark

Some weekend in the very near future I plan to run cat6 cables to a few rooms on the main floor, install an antenna in the attic and run the coax cable outside (along with the cat6) to the garage where all the cable and phone hooks ups are.   While i'm running the coax to the attic i'm considering running another cat6 line along side to allow for a PoE wireless access point for the upstairs.  I'm curious of any first hand experience with this and can provide any lessons learned.

I'm currently considering:
EnGenius EAP1750H access point and their EGS5110P 8-port PoE Switch ($550 total) - (802.11ac, WDS) (8 PoE ports, 802.3ad LACP, )
Trendnet TEW-753DAP access point and their TPE-1020WS 10-port PoE Switch ($420) - (802.11n, WDS) (8 PoE ports, 802.3ad LACP, )

Both of the wireless access points look like smoke detectors, so my plan is to install it in the hallway dropping down from the attic around a joist eliminating the biggest wireless deadzone.

I realize the cost is high for just an access point but down the road I plan to add an additional access point outside and a few PoE IP cameras controlled by a Synology DS713+ NAS

For each of the rooms on the main floor where I add an wired Ethernet connection, I do plan to see if having an additional access point improves coverage for upstairs which might make my above consideration pointless.   The outside access point would be easy to run both cat6 and electrical, so that's not a driving factor either.    So maybe the only driving factor would be the security camera, but maybe the IP cameras are the wrong approach?   

Jim

JEaton

Is that really you're only option for installing an access point on the second floor? There have to be many other suitable places whee you could install a less expensive access point without a need for PoE.

There's no real reason to be tied to a PoE switch from either company if you need PoE for other devices.

> So maybe the only driving factor would be the security camera, but maybe
> the IP cameras are the wrong approach?   

"Driving factor" for what? The use of PoE? Nothing wrong with that. For cameras, it's ideal.