Anyone transition from Android to Windows phone?

ctviggen

Anyone transition from Android to Windows phone?
« on: 4 Oct 2014, 04:24 pm »
I went from a Motorola Android phone (Droid Bionic) to a Windows phone (Nokia 1020, with the 42 megapixel camera).   I have to say I think the Windows 8.1 operating system for the Nokia phone is much better in my opinion than the Android.  To me, the Android operating system (like the IOS operating system) seems behind and just a collection of apps.  The tiles on the main page of the Windows operating system I find to be much nicer and much easier to use. 

The detriment to the Windows 8.1 phone software is the apps.  There aren't enough of them.  For instance, I have a bluetooth heart rate monitor (called Zephyr).  This works with my phone, but I can't find an app that works with the monitor.  I have Runtastic on my Android, but Runtastic on Windows does not work with this HR monitor.  I tried another app called Caledos Runner, which works with the HR monitor but does not actually use the HR info.  That is, at the end of a run/gym workout, the HR listed is zero, but the app shows the heart rate before the exercise and after the exercise. 

Also, I have so few apps on my Android or Windows phone that for me the tiles work great.  Maybe if you have a lot of apps, the tiles might not be enough, although they've added some folders to help that.

By the way, the Nokia 1020 is a great phone.   It's very fast (blows away the Droid Bionic in speed, though we're talking 3+ years difference between the two), takes fantastic pictures, and has a great screen. 

Anyone else go from Android to Windows, and if so what are your thoughts?

Doublej

Re: Anyone transition from Android to Windows phone?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2014, 11:45 pm »
It's all about the apps.

For me it's the opposite.

I have a Windows 8.1 convertible or whatever it's called and an old Android tablet. I like the Android much better. Microsoft does lame things like puts a news article in a live tile but when you click on the tile it doesn't open to the article. I find the Android version of outlook.com app more straightforward and easier to use. .

I do like the ability to close an app in Windows.

Slightly off topic have you seen really heard the new ad for Windows Voice Assistant called Cortana (vs. Siri). The voice sounds much better and appears to have better integration to your calendar to remind you about things.

Jon L

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2014, 12:16 am »

I do like the ability to close an app in Windows.

It's the most lame thing in Android that apps continue to run in background, taking up RAM, battery, and resources.  I don't know why Android people do not fix this nonsense  :scratch:

The only reason I have ever even thought about switching to Windows phone is the Nokia 1020's camera.  But by now all the latest phones have surpassed 1020 in terms of processor speed, screen resolution (QHD), etc.  What I am waiting for is 1020's replacement, hopefully with a Verizon version available.

TrungT

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2014, 12:47 am »
Nokia 635  :thumb:
Best $100 smart phone for me.
Had Nokia 530, switched to Samsung Note 3 for about a week, returned and got the 635.
I don't need or use much apps, so Windows phone work great.
I really do enjoy to have Cortana, Calendar with weather integrated is another nice feature.
Live tiles is great, very personalize your phone.
Action Center (just like the Android) is a nice add on.
I have my eye on Lumia 1520, but can't justified the fund for that.  :lol:

andy_c

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2014, 08:57 pm »
I've switched from Android to Windows Phone and really like the Windows Phone OS, but like others, wish there were more apps.  I use the phone as an emergency phone only, but AAA only has apps for Android and iPhone.  OTOH, the biggest reason I use a smart phone at all is to have a call blocker app.  On Android, I tried the most popular one, Mr. Number, but it only worked on one of the three phones I tried it with.  There's a free call blocking app from Nokia for their Windows phones that works great and integrates with the History.

I'm using a Nokia Lumia 520.  It is an AT&T "Go Phone", but it works fine on any AT&T MVNO.  It was $60 and has 8 GB of ROM.  I'm using it with H2O Wireless and a PAYGO plan.  This plan is 10 bucks for three months, 5 cents per minute of voice, and 10 cents per MB of data.  So if you use voice only, you get 200 minutes for your $10.  If you renew in time, unused minutes roll over.  It's a great deal for my usage.  The downside is that H20 "customer service" is about the worst imaginable.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2014, 09:41 pm »
The call blocker does work extremely well.  I have not yet tried Cortana, but then I also did not try the Android equivalent (and my wife has an iPhone and doesn't use Siri).  Maybe one day we'll do a test with all three.

I think the next Nokia phones will be even better than the 1020.  However, I decided to get the 1020 as I think it's a good phone even now.  I also got the extra battery pack, which has a button for the camera and connects to a tripod. 

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Microsoft, Google, or Apple, as I think they all try to drive you to their app stores and all of them are tracking us like mad.  I also think that Windows 8 on the computer was absolutely insane (as if' I'm going to touch the 36 inch monitor I have at work -- it's far enough away from me I can't touch it).   But the live tiles work very well on the phone.  So far, my experience with the Windows phone is great.  I'll see what happens two years from now.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2014, 07:06 pm »
My experience was the opposite. I had a windows phone and nos using a Moto X with android, and been happy. If you're the kind of guy who like to download apps and customize your phone, android has more freedom.

Google announced the next version of the operating system, android "L" with some important features. We'll see.

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2014, 02:55 pm »
I've got the Nokia 1520.  Like being able to photograph in DNG format.
The phone is responsive, has all the apps I need.  Full HD 6" screen.
2-3 days battery life in my normal usage.  Just found an app to play FLAC files, although that will be native in the next release (10)

The work integration with SharePoint/MS Office is a bonus.
(although MS Office is coming to Android next year)

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2014, 05:35 pm »
Anyone interested in the new Lumia 830? On paper it looks fantastic - replaceable battery, microSD 128GB, NFC, Wireless charging, great camera, Cortana, inexpensive. The screen is not 1080p but is a great screen. It is exclusive to ATT at the moment (good in Charlotte).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_Lumia_830

It is billed as a mid-range flagship-killer. I need a second phone and what I choose will be replacing the Nexus 4.  I have the iPhone 6 as my primary phone at this point assuming the poor battery (upped to 8.2) performance improves before next Wednesday.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2014, 06:06 pm »
Have a Nokia 928 with Windows and love it.  Great camera, video and audio. 

Easy to use as a remote for the Music Server just running IE. 

TrungT

« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2014, 06:38 pm »
Have been moving up the Windows phone Lumia 521 > 635 > 1520
Lumia 1520 is awesome phone.

Can't wait for the next Lumia Denim update.

ctviggen

« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2014, 07:52 pm »
After having this phone for several months and traveling to Europe with it, I still like it a lot and like the operating system (which says a lot, since I typically dislike Microsoft).  The only thing I do not like is the lack of apps.  I still have to use my Android device with my Bluetooth heart rate monitor, as I haven't been able to find an app that works with the heart rate monitor and gives me a read out of HR over time. 

In fact, when I go back to my Android phone, the operating system seems so clunky.  Where's the main page with everything on it?  Android is just a bunch of screens with icons. 

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 8 Nov 2014, 11:53 pm »
You guys are getting me interested in looking at a Windows phone more seriously as an alternative to Android. I have questions.

How well does the built in GPS application work?
Am I going to miss not having Google maps with its traffic and other goodies?
Why does Verizon have only one Nokia windows phone? It's a mid market one to boot.
How often does it crash?
What happens when Windows 10 comes out? Are some phones going to be left behind like many of the Android phones are when a new version of Android comes out. (my guess probably yes)?
Is there a website that shows Windows 8 equivalents or Android app. These an Android app that tries to map Windows phone equivalents for Android apps but it is horrible. Some of the matches are for a different type of app.

Microsoft has an interesting problem, how to convince people to take a chance on their phone.

TrungT

« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2014, 12:24 am »
The GPS on Windows phone work great for me, but I have not use anything else for a long time.
Verizon has Lumia Icon and HTC One (M8) for Windows, they both are one of the top of the line, the Icon need to update to 8.1 and Verizon is not releasing the new update, HTC is Windows 8.1.
Windows 8.1 is much better than the old version.
11.11.14, Microsoft will release some new phone. (Nokia less)
I read somewhere, Lumia Denim is Windows 10 ready.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov 2014, 11:11 pm »
I just purchased as my secondary phone the new Nokia 830 (last of the Nokia branded for Lumia phones) outright, from AT&T. this will remove $25 per month from my bill for 2 years.

This 830 is replacing my long-of-tooth Nexus 4. Hated the battery life on that phone.

This 830 is a beautiful phone with Glance, Cortana, replaceable battery, microSD slot, NFC, Qui charging, and the much improved 8.1 with Denim. So far I love it - and free music to boot. Now I just have to get to know all the features. I believe it has offline satellite maps from Nokia.

I comes with a flat black back but I replaced it with the extra lime green back, love the look.

So replace that black back with the green back, and that's what I have done

TrungT

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2014, 12:24 am »

^^^^^Nice, love those colors.
 :thumb:

TrungT

« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2014, 12:39 am »

Brad

« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2014, 01:02 am »
The offline Nokia maps are quite handy too.  8)