Advice from my fellow tubemen?

bmed

« on: 7 Sep 2004, 12:18 am »
Somewhere around the new year I plan on getting a new SET (either 2A3 or 45) to pair with my Abby's.  Been saving my pennies, eating beans, you know how it goes.

Everything I'm looking at is around the same price from kits like Welborne/Bottlehead to finished products like Fi X and the Wright Mono's (3.5's and 1.75's).  All these seem to fall in the ~$1500 range.  I don't remember any of you guys having any of these amps currently (auditioning is a pain around here for SET, isn't it!) so I am asking for any auditory memory you may have, if you happen to have heard them in another system.  Any opinions out there?  I'm not against DIY from standardized plans like the Bottlehead or Welborne.  Scratch DIY is not an option, I'm no Willie.   I wonder what the comparison of these would be to the products from Fi and Wright.  I've read everything I can find on AA and the like.

Looking for some opinions from people I trust.

Cheers,
Brad

Scott F.

Re: Advice from my fellow tubemen?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2004, 02:38 am »
Quote from: bmed
Somewhere around the new year I plan on getting a new SET (either 2A3 or 45) to pair with my Abby's.  Been saving my pennies, eating beans, you know how it goes.

Everything I'm looking at is around the same price from kits like Welborne/Bottlehead to finished products like Fi X and the Wright Mono's (3.5's and 1.75's).  All these seem to fall in the ~$1500 range.  I don't remember any of you guys having any of these amps currently (auditioning is a pain around here for SET, isn't it!) so I am asking for ...

Hiya,

Run don't walk to the phone and call Anthony Cirella at Handmade Electronics. This is the same guy that built my 2a3. Granted, mine has a cool looking wood wrapper, but Tony built it.

Have him build you the Deluxe model that is convertable from 2a3 to 45 with the flip of a switch (and tubes...obviously). Tony sells his amps either with or without the tubes. You will need to buy his driver tube (the 6C45P). Granted, the Tubestore carries it, but not everybody else does. May as well get it from Tony if you decide to buy one of his creations. Willie may actually chime in here and sing the praises of the 6C45P as a driver tube.

His amps are all point to point, the Deluxe uses Black Gates in the power supply, TFT teflon coupling caps, and lots of other boutique parts. His 2a3 Deluxe is $925 with the tubes (all Sovteks). This amp is extremely good and should sell for much much more.

Here is the link to to his website. Keep in mind that Tony isn't much on HTML work so it isn't pretty. In fact, in a couple of spots he is using black letters on a black background which means you can't read what he wrote. Just take an click you mouse anywhere on teh page then hit "control A" and it will light up all of the text on the page.

http://www.hndme.com/storeampstogo.html

You may want to have him install the B+ delay so you can play with all kinds of rectifier tubes.

Pure guess here regarding pricing. The B+ delay switch is about $25 and the 45 to 2a3 switch (and resistors) should run about $50.

Keep in mind, that Tony builds all of his amps in standard Hammond steel enclosures. He doesn't use thick heavy machined, custom enclosures. I think he calls it 'Eico chic'. You can check out my reviews of the 2a3 and the 45 over at TNT too.

If you want to give my amp a listen again, drop on by.

bmed

« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2004, 04:00 am »
Excellent Scott, that was exactly what I was looking for.  I forgot all about your amp.  I heard it at one of the earlier meetings.  I can't remember if you had  2A3's or 45's with the Lowther's that day?

I noticed in your review, the manufacturer states that a monobloc version was in the works.  This was in 2002/2003, any news on that front?

You seemed to have some component matching issues with the Deluxe.   Not sure how my 6SN7 based linestage with 20dB of gain would work in the chain?   My only sources now are my EAR 834P for vinyl and iTunes from my powerbook via an Apple airport express.   Also, any hum issues you have encountered?

Looks like H.E. is just what I'm looking for.  I could care less about the look.  The ability to have a 2A3/45 with the flip of the switch makes this so attractive, given that I'm continually working my way up the sensitivity ladder.

I'll definitely give Anthony a call.

Cheers,
Brad

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2004, 12:12 pm »
I was running 2a3's when you came by. Actually, my amp isn't convertable ... yet. I've got the switch, resistors and 45's to make it happen. Just need to find the time.

I don't think Tony ever built the monoblocks. Not sure about his plans now, I haven't talked to him in a while. If for some reason Tony balks at doing the switch don't worry, it's really easy. It's only two switches and two resistors.

The Sovtek 2a3's are a nice tube but a little dry. The Fostex might sound OK with them. Good thing is they are cheap (~$60/pr). I can put you onto a couple inexspensive placed to pick up NOS 45's (at least less expensive as eBay).

When you are ready we can get together and play with rectifier tubes too so you can pick up some of the best ounding ones. They really do make a difference. They make almost as much difference as changing driver or output tubes.

Your linestage sound be just fine with the amp. I forgot (specifically) the issue I had but I think it was something self-induced. I'll go back and read the review again and see what it was.

When it comes to hum, well, you will be in SET land. Nearly every SET amp I have heard has hum at some level. The Handmade has hum pots and the levels are very low. Unless you are listening nearfield, you won't hear anything.

Blackmore

2A3
« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2004, 05:59 pm »
I agree with Scott.  I really like his amp choice.  I'm using an Audio Electronics SE-1 that Sam Tellig used to recommend to drive my new Abby Normals (thanks for your thoughts on those speakers, bmed).  I have the 2A3 tubes right now, but that amp could use 300B and 45 tubes with just a re-bias. The ability to tube roll was one reason I made that kit amp.  It has a rounder, fuller bass than my other tube amps (Sophia Baby, conrad-johnson MV 52) and is darker in the treble region.  Volume is not a problem even at 10 feet across the room.
I'd sure try to hear Scott's Jolida 300B integrated too, since that would give you more inputs and flexibility.

bmed

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2004, 07:06 pm »
Update---

Just talked to Anthony @ Handmade.  He's not currently producing any secondary to paint issues/weather, but will begin production again in a month or so when the heat and humidity are down.  No mono's as that would push past his desired pricepoint.

Concerning the switchable 2a3/45 he was concerned regarding the different plate voltages.  He felt that it should be optimized for one or the other.  Optimization for 2A3 would run the 45's at or exceeding their limit with longevity issues.  Flip side for 45 optimization--underperforming 2A3's with sonic implications.   This may be an issue with NOS 45's, especially given cost.  However, the new TJ45's may be able to withstand the higher plate voltage with more resiliancy.  I guess I could check with Brian Cherry on this.  

It's the convertability that would make that amp attractive, not so sure without it.  I'm a cheap bastard and would like to get away with one chassis if possible.

Any ideas regarding the optimizing for 45 vs 2A3?

Cheers,
Brad

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2004, 09:22 pm »
Quote from: bmed
Update---
Concerning the switchable 2a3/45 he was concerned regarding the different plate voltages.  He felt that it should be optimized for one or the other.  Optimization for 2A3 would run the 45's at or exceeding their limit with longevity issues.  Flip  ...

Well, maybe I should reveal this but I've got both schematics for the 45 and the 2a3 he builds. These two amps are identicle in every part except the plate resistor. The 2a3 uses (like) a 830 ohm and the 45 uses (like) 1k5 (I'm going from memory here so don't shoot me if I'm wrong). That is the only difference I can see between the two amps. Then again, I can't argue with the guy that designed the amps.

I looked at it as the addition of a DPDT switch. One pole carries the 830 resistor and the other carries the 1k5. Bingo, switchable between 2a3 and 45 mode. I've got the parts sitting on my bench waiting for me to get the time to make the mods. Then again, I could be completely wrong in my assumption.

Willie, G .... HELP!

Brad, you could always look at it this way. Since his amps are so darned affordable, you could literally buy the 45 and the 2a3 and end up spending less than you would on a Fi, Wellborne or nearly any other SET amp.

Looks like you are wanting to spend a buck or two on tubes. The TJ's are extremely good in my opinion. Granted, I've only heard the 2.5 volt 300b's (2a3), but they are very very smooth. Can't say if that translates into a good 45 but it would seem a fairly safe bet.

Can't say I blame you on wanting a single platform.
Why don't you give me a buzz at home this evening.....you've got a PM

bmed

« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2004, 09:45 pm »
Scott,

Not sure if he was being coy?  It would sure be great if it was just a resistor change.  I'll drop you a line tonight.

Cheers,
Brad

G

« Reply #8 on: 9 Sep 2004, 07:34 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.
Well, maybe I should reveal this but I've got both schematics for the 45 and the 2a3 he builds. These two amps are identicle in every part except the plate resistor. The 2a3 uses (like) a 830 ohm and the 45 uses (like) 1k5 (I'm going from memory here so don't shoot me if I'm wrong). That is the only difference I can see between the two amps. Then again, I can't argue with the guy that designed the amps.

I looked at it as the addition of a DPDT switch. One pole carries the 830 resistor and the other carri ...

Hi guys,

From what I have read, having never built a DH set amp, the 45 won't handle as much plate voltage as a 2A3. The problem with switchable plate voltages is you are going to be hard pressed to find a switch that is rated for that much "DC" voltage. I would optimize the plate voltage for a 45 tube and use switchable cathode resistors to semi-optimize for a 2A3, if that makes any sense. From what I understand 2A3s sound very nice running at 45 operating points though. Perhaps Willie will pop in to give you his learned opinion on the subject.

drummerwill

« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2004, 05:41 pm »
Brad

Concerning optimized amp 45 or 2A3. I've built several 45/2A3 DIY amps. The ones I built optimized for 2A3 that ran 45's  always sounded a little congested. Thats 275 to 325 plate VDC with 900ohm Cathode and
  3K tranny.
        The 45 optimized amp that can run 2A3's always sound better to me
  than in the other amp. An optimized 45 amp 275 to 300VDC ,1.2K cathode and a 4k to 5K OPT. is a great sound both in 45 and 2A3 flavor.
     The 2A3 will be a little more powerful sound, but still sweet.
  Handmade electronics amps are a very good, reasonibly priced choice.
      Have fun!
        Willie