DVD/TV (Upconversion) - Should I care for my application?

cjr888

Family member bought a 32"/4:3 Toshiba 32HF73 ( http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=32hf73 ),  brought it home and decided it took up too much physical space, and decided to buy a 30" LCD on deep discount.  I'm basically inheriting the 32HF73.  Saw the picture for five minutes via cable TV connection, uncalibrated, and was pretty darn impressed.

For right now it will have a cable box(Cablevision/iO Digital), Tivo (Toshiba SD-H400 Tivo/ProgScan DVD) and occasionaly attached Playstation 2 directly to it.  No A/V receiver right now.  No integration with audio system.

It states that the DVI/HDCP input (DVI-D single-link) is designed for best performance with 1080i video signals and that it will also accept and display 480p, 480i, and 720p picture signals.  the Colorstream HD-1 and HD-2 jacks (2 component video connections) can be used with Progressive (480p, 720p) and Interlaced (480i,1080i) scan systems and that a 1080i signal will provide the best picture performance....and that
CrystalScan HDSC converts all 480i and 480p signals (as from progressive-scan DVD players and DTV set-top boxes) to high-definition 1080i.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's how I understand things.  Via component or DVI, it will accept 480p and 720p.  Either way, it converts that to 1080i.  So sounds like as long as I use one of those three inputs, it has its own converter/scaler/upconverter (pardon lingo-abuse) in the TV.

So regarding best picture quality:

1) Via DVI, you go direct digital.  If I grab one of the Zenith's or Samsung or Bravo units that say output 720p or 1080i via DVI, it basically means further digital path, and that the upconverting is now handled by what's in the DVD player vs. what's in the Toshiba, correct?  And in _theory_ the DVI input should provide best picture vs. upconverting over component.

2) The Toshiba DVD/Tivo player is a progressive scan DVD player, so it outputs 480p.  If I feed this to the TV, the TV will then convert it to 1080i.  Now say feed it 720p or 1080i via component video from the Zenith, does that mean the TV would want to convert it again, or is there a determination of which device does the conversion?

It sounds like for 'improved' picture there's upconverting somewhere (TV or Player and potentially done in both), but either way, same source material, different chipset/type/etc trying to do the 'improving'.

With my particular TV, just trying to see what the benefit of a upconverting unit like the Zenith would benefit (if at all) if the TV appears to be doing similar conversion already.

4) With a 32" TV, and not aiming for best of the best, should I really care that much about the difference between the DVD player output, or am I really splitting hairs?

Short story is I have a feeling I'm mixing up lingo and may not give it the best picture for DVD viewing using the DVD player I have, but also fear buying something with limited actual benefit based on poor assumption.

Have little to no understanding of video world, so any simply layman explanations are greatly appreciated.  Feel free to use puppets, diagrams, or speak slowly in explanation.  :-)

Jon L

« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2004, 05:14 pm »
I think you are over-thinking the problem.  The bottom line is, a 32" TV will show you much less differences among DVD players, 480p vs. 1080i, etc.  

I can imagine some anal videophile swearing he sees good improvement  with 1080i upconverted DVD vs. 480p, but can he tell in blind testing?  

With my 60" Sony LCD RPTV, even the cheapest 480i DVD player looks great  b/c the TV's scaler already converts the 480i to something higher and progressive.  The same DVD player looks bad, scan lines jaggy, when viewed on my 36" CRT TV (non HD).  

Sounds like your HD TV will do internal scaling pretty well, so a "normal" DVD players may look just fine.  Why don't you hook up your playstation and play some DVD's?  If it looks fine to you, you don't have to buy a DVD player.

If you are going to buy a DVD player anyway, then there's no reason not to buy one of the 1080i upconverting DVD players since something like Zenith is dirt cheap.  Whether you will notice improvements depends entirely on whether your TV's upscaler is as good as the DVD player's upscaler, the size of your screen (think projector screen), and how picky your eyes are.

The most important thing is to realize that a DVD is not high definition no matter how much you upconvert.  Some good DVD's come pretty close when upconverted, but you never get true HD.  

I recommned you get a true HD source ASAP (HD cable, HD satelite, or better yet FREE HD via air/OTA HD antenna).  Then you'll be able to laugh at DVD's in general, upconverted or not.

cjr888

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2004, 07:50 pm »
I can imagine some anal videophile swearing he sees good improvement with 1080i upconverted DVD vs. 480p, but can he tell in blind testing?

This is sort of what I was hoping to hear.  Greatly appreciate the response.  Do have digital cable, and supposedly via Cablevision the HD channels are free if you have the programming (ie. standard channels in HD are free, HBO-HD free if you have regular HBO, etc).  I think I have to swap cable boxes, but that's not a big deal.  Appreciate the comments.