VR5 M/T cabinet spikes...or decoupling, that's the question..

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Sorry to belabor this but I'm struggling with what best belongs between the M/T cabinet and the bass cabinet on my VR5 Anniversaries.  Some have suggested metal spikes but that's not in keeping with the rubber feet that Albert furnished with the speakers.  So if decoupling is the ticket what about the Stillpoint Ultra Minis?

http://www.stillpoints.us/ultramini.html

Since the little guys won't sit in the holes atop the bass cabinet that accommodate Albert's rubber spikes I would think in the interest of keeping the M/T cabinet where it belongs rather than on the floor something like Herbies dots or something similar on which the Ultra Minis would rest.  The stillpoints get rave reviews and I would think this is the perfect application.  Thoughts?

..and by the way, the photos of these little fellas don't show whether there's a threaded hole on the larger diameter end.  Anyone know for sure?  If not, that pretty much rules them out for this application..

Trismos

Because I have a small room (12 x 16 x 8) and am building a larger set of speakers (GR Super Vs), I am interested and will chime in. From what I understand, it's not about "decoupling" but properly "coupling" the room to the speaker.  I will be doing as much room treatment as practical in this particular room - but I wouldn't mind hearing about how best to use stands.

es347

• Facilitator
That is correct but I'm not talking about the bass cabinet...just the interface between the two cabinets of my VR5 Anniversaries...see photo:

http://www.vonschweikertaudio.com/#!vr-5-anniversary-mk-ii/c1vsz

The bass cabinet is coupled to my concrete floor for sure...the question is how best to decouple or isolate the upper M/T cabinet from the lower bass cabinet...

Delacroix

Gavin

I presume one might be able to mount the Stillpoints with the correct thread if they can be used either side up but I'd check with them directly on this. Using them without screwing them in is always an option but like you, I wonder how safe they would be if people brush against them etc. I worried about that with Aurios. Suspect the flatter (more expensive) full Stillpoints would be perfectly stable, only $2800 for four, so you may as well buy sets for the bass modules too...a quick way to drop 10 grand for both speakers (save a few bob by skimping on your subs -- let us know when you get 'em :)

es347

• Facilitator
Mama may have raised some fools but no damned fools  :nono:  The only Stillpoints I would consider would be the little guys.  Their pricing is outrageous.  I am strongly considering using the Track Audio isolating feet on the bass units but the coupled version..

gammajo

I have found a positive difference and enjoy very much the Herbies VR4SR set of dots that he sells as a package, used just as recommended, both of my VR4's and now the VR5's. With both speakers I ABA tested with the stock spacers and the Herbies each being in place for a few months then back out.  Each time I have preferred the Herbies. They are very stable and economical. They seem to enhance coherence and allow the highs to be even more liquid and clearer. It is a 10 minute job to change from one to the other by just titling the upper module slightly to unscrew the spacers and slip in the Herbies. 
Hope this helps
Joe

es347

• Facilitator
Thought I'd resurrect this thread with an update regarding my insanity.  I've been playing with different interfaces between my VR5 cabinets after having discussed this with Albert.  He suggested trying to raise the rear of the M/T cabinet ala the Colloms review.  I found no difference in the treble so that can be assumed scrapped.  I just received 8 of the small Track Audio spikes today...cute little buggers but the I found the treble very glassy and fatigue set in pronto.  So back to Albert's little rubber spikes.  Voila...all the detail but smooth as butta.  I have a feeling that the speakers were voiced with these little fellas so perhaps best to leave well enough alone?  The Track spikes will be going back home to Music Direct but I'm thinking of going with the Herbies dots per Joe's suggestion.  They're only 1/4" thick so I'm considering ordering 2 sets and stacking to give me 1/2" spacing...a little closer to the spacing with the rubber spikes.  I'll order with adhesive one one side of each dot to facilitate installation.  I need a drink!  :?  Well I must say these MK1.5s sound fantastic regardless of the interface that's kicking my butt right now!
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2014, 12:01 am by es347 »

kernelbob

Not sure if this relates to your decoupling search, but I'm using a set of Herbies "Giant Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders" under my VR100's.  I wanted something to allow me to use spikes under the towers, protect the floor, while avoiding floor resonances.  They worked out perfectly.

They wouldn't the thing for the woofer/mid-tweeter cabinet spacing, but you might find them to be beneficial under the woofer cabinets (with spikes).  I got the version with a titanium top plate which receives the spike.  That version goes for $40 per glider.  The glider has a low friction base that allows me to move the towers easily, though carefully.  The middle section is some proprietary energy absorbing material.  Attenuation specs are on the Herbies site.

When I had my VR5-Annis, I tried after-market spacers between the cabinets, but went back to the stock rubbery thingies.  Some Herbies pucks worked well in the VR6's though.

Delacroix

I have Herbie's footers under my Annis too, the receive the SoundoCity anchor spikes I use with outriggers. Really makes moving the speakers easy and I prefer the sound with these rather than the spikes direct to the floor or whatever small cups I was using to protect the wooden floor before the HAL footers. But all this talk of interfaces between mids/woofer cabinets has me trying to relocate the Herbie set I used before I upgraded -- just can't find them. My original experience with them was positive enough for me to leave them in place...they are thinner than the stock feet but I don't know if they work as intended if you stack them Gavin - best ask Herbie. 

At last year's RMAF I attended a well-practiced demo by Nordost of various tweaks they offered - they offered a speaker footer that seemed to obviously improve speaker sonics in a live demo. Not sure if they offer anything that would work between VR5 cabinets but their demo was really impressive. Perhaps their Sort Kones?

Anyone try Vibrapods?  I think they may stain the wood finish but there may be a workaround.

gammajo

es Been there! Before going to the Herbies dots I tried small sticky note pads at exactly 1/2 thick, in five locations under the tweets. Anyone want a bunch of small sticky notes?  :lol:
Your idea of doubling the dots should work fine. In the single dot mode visually it looks good (still a space to give lightness to the look) . I second or third that the Herbies gliders under the stock spikes works great for the Anni's woofers on a wood floor for easy movement and also better bass isolation.

es347

• Facilitator
My VR5s sit on a wood laminate glued to concrete so I'm using spikes on a granite slab:

es347

• Facilitator
Question regarding Herbie's big dots.  How important is the 5th square dot in the middle?  Since I'm going with stacked dots with adhesive on one side I have to order in pieces and those middle dots will cost me an additional $50.  Opinions please...thanks!

gammajo

This is just theory and I would talk to Herbie about it to confirm, but I think how much weight each dot carries is significant to get the proper dispersion of vibration. I would guess that using double thickness dots you might even get closer to the ideal dispersion with four stack instead of five singles. In terms of stability of the tweeter/mid unit to sliding around think it will make no difference - it will be solid either way.

gammajo

Also if the sticky ones are more expensive I don't think you need that either - the dot material does not slide even when applying about 40 lbs of pressure to the side of the tweet/mid cabinet to attempt movement parallel to the floor. Just tried it :)

es347

• Facilitator
Thanks Joe...I intend to order just the single set of VR5 dots and if the 1/4" seems too low will order a second set.  No point in ordering 2 until I see how one set does me.

gammajo

Makes sense.