Integrating the Ellis 1801 with A/V series

salva

« on: 5 Sep 2004, 07:29 pm »
Hi, I've build a pair of 1801F's and I'm very happy with the performance.  

I want to complement them with center and rears, I've thougth with the A/V series, while I'm debating with different models of the A/V series I've one doubt.

- How seamless is the integration of the AV series with the 1801 ?

I'm asking this because I've been advised into using the MBOW1 for center and rears, since they use same Hiquphon tweeter 1801 have, but I kind of like the AV2, AV3S, AV1R cabinets proposal that I do not have with the MBOW1.

So, what do you think ?, obiusly I will be happy to hear experiences from people that have heard both 1801's and A/V series.

Experiences from people that have heard the MBOW1 and AV's will be wellcomed, since all agree in the tonal similarity between 1801 and MBOW1, hence comparing MBOW1 and AV's will be of help.

Salva
Spain

azryan

« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2004, 07:54 pm »
Dave Ellis made an impression on this matter and if I recall said it was a good match.  
Hard to find a better opinion than that right seeing as he designed your speakers.

Doubt you'll find many people who've actually done this so this may be your only opinion to work from?

I don't recall Danny saying he's ever tried it which IMO would be the 'other' best opinion on this subject.

Good luck. I'd suggest taking the risk and build the A/V's and worst case you hate the results and you sell them for a profit and go to using the exact same drivers.

Who can say but you if you think the tonality match is perferfect enough for you right?

Diff. x-over parts could change tonality too so maybe the only 'perfect' match would be using an Ellis 1801 at each surround spot.

I don't think you'd need to go that far though esp. for surrounds since your ears already drastically distort the sound being cupped away from the rear of the room.

Just not terribly 'critical' IMO.