Preamp for 3B-SST

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
Preamp for 3B-SST
« on: 5 Sep 2004, 12:00 am »
My wife, bless her heart, bought me a brand spanking new Bryston 3B-SST as a present. I'm wondering what would be a great preamp match for it? In house right now, I have an Anthem TLP-1 and a Parasound PLD 1100. Both pretty good preamps but I think the Bryston deserves better. My budget would be around a grand for a used preamp. Any suggestions? I'd also like to say the Bryston is beautiful to both look at and listen to. This is one fantastic amp!

jimmyp58

Preamp for 3B-SST
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2004, 02:12 am »
Are you looking for an HT setup or 2-channel?

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
Preamp for 3B-SST
« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2004, 02:35 am »
Strictly 2 channel. Classical & acoustic music via Sony SACD/CD played thru Shamrock Audio Keelin loudspeakers.

Eric

Preamp for 3B-SST
« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2004, 04:11 pm »
Why not go with a Bryston preamp. I am using the BP-20 and love it. It is nuetral and built like a tank. Has wonderful synergy with the Bryston amps

Eric

Preamp for 3B-SST
« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2004, 04:22 pm »

bkwiram

Preamp for 3B-SST
« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2004, 05:51 pm »
Given that you're using digital sources only, you might consider a passive linestage.

Marty DeWulf at Bound For Sound is currently very pleased with the Sonic Euphoria autoformer unit (vs various kinds of competition, mostly active units).

The price is in the $1000-$1300 range as I recall.

good luck,

bk

bkwiram

Preamp for 3B-SST
« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2004, 06:10 pm »
Another passive option might be the Bent Audio NOH.  Similar price range, I believe. That unit is transformer-based rather than autoformer-based.

I believe Tyson is/was using one - you can track him down on the VMPS forum, among others here.

KKG

Preamp for 3B-SST
« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2004, 02:52 pm »
I'll second using a Bryston Pre for a Bryston Power - Synergy is the word and without any worries :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Preamp for 3B-SST
« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2004, 04:19 pm »
Be very careful with Passive devices - the loading of the cables between the source and the passive device to the power amplifier is critical if flat frequency response is what your after.

james

BeeBop

Preamp for 3B-SST
« Reply #9 on: 6 Sep 2004, 04:59 pm »
Yes exactly. You have a whole lot of capacitance and resistance in cables that run between the source and the pre-amp, as well as the pre and the amp so the source has to drive through all that stuff to the amp (since the pre is not doing anything to help out)...

nature boy

Preamp for 3B-SST
« Reply #10 on: 6 Sep 2004, 07:07 pm »
Merle,

I like the sound of a tube pre with a solid state amp.  

I am thoroughly enjoying the Eastern Electric Minimax preamp - active linestage, single ended RCA inputs, up to three sources.  Just do a search for Minimax and read the various threads.

With NOS tubes it really sings.  These list for $1195, but should be able to get a new one for 20% off from a reasonable dealer.  If you don't mind used pick one up used on Audiogon.  

This would be a great match with the Bryston 3B-SST.  Good luck.

NB

nature boy

Preamp for 3B-SST
« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2004, 07:14 pm »
I just noticed that Bill O'Connell (Morningstar Audio Imports, handles NA distribution of Eastern Electric products) has a screaming good deal on a dealer Minimax demo unit - $650.00 and he will through in some NOS tubes.  The unit carries a full warranty.

Here is a link to the ad at Audiogon if you're interested:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1098827658

Bill posts at Audio Circle on occassion so you can PM him or call him at
Bill O'Connell 847-255-1150.

This is the best price I have seen on a Minimax preamp.

NB

Allezvite

Pre for 3BSST
« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2004, 09:21 pm »
You could do what I did, and marry up a VTL TL2.5 (or 5.5 if the budget permits) with your Bryston 3BSST.

Mine seem very comfortable together, no impedance mismatch issues.

The combination is very detailed and neutral with excellent midrange and treble information and decent bass slam.  THe VTL really took a step up when I upgraded the tubes to NOS UK Mullards.

A local dealer has told me that he's sold more VTL pre / Bryston power combinations than any other pairing in his store.  They go well together.

I feel like I could go a long way in upgrading both source and speakers before I'd bother upgrading the electronics.