Northern Electric KT88

bonsai

Northern Electric KT88
« on: 8 Sep 2014, 12:59 pm »
I have a quad of Shuguang Treasure KT88 tubes that are 3+ years old and I'm starting to shop a replacement set.

I'm thinking of a set of these and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these:

Northern Electric KT88 (Graphite)

The NE-KT88 is a radical new design. For the first time ever a KT88 tube utilizes a solid, thick and completely unique graphite plate (anode). This improves tube life and reliability on top of providing outstanding audio amplification characteristics.

The Northern Electric KT88 audio tube is made with the highest quality materials, from the thick glass bottle to the copper and ceramic base with gold plated pins. The NE-KT88 is carefully handcrafted. Each build stage is measured and verified on state of the art equipment. Then a battery of tests must be passed to make it into your hands.

This new KT88 has been three years in the making. Numerous designs were evaluated, rejected and/or revised until we were satisfied we had the best KT-88 tube on the market today. Everything was designed to give you unsurpassed audio quality which you really need to hear.

The Northern Electric KT88 tube's low end is deep and controlled. The midrange is full and exceptional for vocal, classical, and jazz recordings. The high end is smooth and fairly well extended. The overall sound-stage has great separation and clarity.

Northern Electric had a rich history of producing high quality audio products and vacuum tubes in Canada. We are now re-introducing this classic brand and bringing to you the highest quality tubes possible.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/KT88-Tube-Types/Northern-Electric-KT88

JakeJ

Re: Northern Electric KT88
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2014, 03:53 pm »
It would be interesting to hear how good these are.  At $1400+ to retube my amps I would need to know they are a sonic improvement plus have long life.

Captainhemo

Re: Northern Electric KT88
« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2014, 08:06 pm »
I haven't tried the KT88's but I am   extremely happy with my EL34G's from Canada Fuller.  Believe there are a couple  guys  here on AC who love the KT88's..
 They are on sale at PartsConnexion  for $349 / matched quad and  have the full 1 year warranty.
http://www.partsconnexion.com/tube_new_fuller.html

-jay

Should have added,  the NE tubes  do look  interesting, but like Jake said, pretty pricey to take "shot in the dark" with.  Heck,   when I picked up the EL34G's,  I felt it was a gamble
Whatever you end up going with,  please  post your impressions after you've had some time to  evaluate them :)
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2014, 09:37 pm by Captainhemo »