Audiophile Wisdom Tips for the Younguns

RDavidson

Re: Audiophile Wisdom Tips for the Younguns
« Reply #20 on: 6 Sep 2014, 02:35 am »
Never take advice from someone on an audio board who does not list their gear or gallery any of their stereo pics.

Hey man. I've been in this hobby for nearly 20 years, and played classical violin for many years. I haven't set up a gallery. I enjoy the community here, but setting up a gallery of my gear is not high on the priority list.  Hell, I don't even have a profile picture. This doesn't make me less trustworthy than anyone else. I'm just a rather private/guarded person and am picky about who I let know about details of my life. Am I a little anti-social? Yeah, sometimes.....particularly with internet socialization. Funny story, I got a new phone a couple of weeks ago, and the sales lady thought there was a problem transferring my data to my new phone because I only have 45 saved phone numbers. :lol: Yeah, don't need EVERYONE I've ever met on speed dial.
Anyway. Sorry. Just had to interject as I don't agree with this advice.

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 6 Sep 2014, 10:40 am »
  • Most differences touted as "night and day"... aren't.
  • With speakers, you are also listening to the room. I have seen a lot of systems on here and elsewhere where huge dollars were spent on the system and the room and/or placement was obviously ignored. There are good (and cheap) ways to "tame" a room. Do this before spending $$$ on equipment to "fight" the room. This practice will dwarf "night and day" differences between, say, power cords or interconnects. You don't need to go with ugly "audiophile" "treatments" either; find some nice looking quilts and hang them on the wall.
  • There isn't a single audio system on the planet that can pass a rigorous "live vs recorded" test. If you doubt this, you need to experience more live music ("unplugged" in particular). Consider this whenever someone is pimping their $40,000 loudspeakers.
  • You can go to a LOT of concerts for $100,000.00.
  • Audio systems are not exempt from The "Law of Diminishing Returns".

RDavidson, agree completely with your advice that synergy is more important than price.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #22 on: 6 Sep 2014, 12:19 pm »
Like 'RDavidson' I would never list equipment just for the sake of listing equipment.  That seems to be like the magazine reviewers. If I list very high-end components, then some would see it as bragging about my equipment. If I list plain-jane equipment others would say that my equipment is not good enough to hear differences.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #23 on: 6 Sep 2014, 05:28 pm »
Hey man. I've been in this hobby for nearly 20 years, and played classical violin for many years. I haven't set up a gallery. I enjoy the community here, but setting up a gallery of my gear is not high on the priority list.  Hell, I don't even have a profile picture. This doesn't make me less trustworthy than anyone else. I'm just a rather private/guarded person and am picky about who I let know about details of my life. Am I a little anti-social? Yeah, sometimes.....particularly with internet socialization. Funny story, I got a new phone a couple of weeks ago, and the sales lady thought there was a problem transferring my data to my new phone because I only have 45 saved phone numbers. :lol: Yeah, don't need EVERYONE I've ever met on speed dial.
Anyway. Sorry. Just had to interject as I don't agree with this advice.

I agree. I just don't have the time to take photos and upload stuff. I guess I could at the expense of reading the forums. Unfortunately, my free time is limited.

Mag

« Reply #24 on: 6 Sep 2014, 05:46 pm »
You can use reflections off the back wall to adjust stereo imaging.

In my unconventional set up I have speakers placed along the long wall, in near-field. I have the speakers facing the backwall about 2 ft. left & right of listening chair. By adjusting the angle of toe in, just an inch or so left or right. I can move the center image left or right or dead center. Moving the chair an inch or two left or right also helps with center placement. :smoke:

*Scotty*

« Reply #25 on: 7 Sep 2014, 05:19 am »
Photos and System listing, Smartphone, USB cable and 10 mins.
I'm just sayin'.
Scotty

Photon46

« Reply #26 on: 7 Sep 2014, 12:37 pm »
Like 'RDavidson' I would never list equipment just for the sake of listing equipment.  That seems to be like the magazine reviewers. If I list very high-end components, then some would see it as bragging about my equipment. If I list plain-jane equipment others would say that my equipment is not good enough to hear differences.

Your observations about people's perceptions are completely accurate, but I still don't see why it should stop anyone from listing their equipment. Magazine reviewers list equipment precisely because it helps an informed reader makes decisions about the relevance of the review to their own situation and system. If one chooses to spend larger sums of money on equipment and someone with less expensive kit thinks that's bragging, so what? We live in world where half the population always seems to be upset about what someone else spends their disposable income on, one can't change that. Whether it's jealousy, self righteousness, misplaced do-good impulses, or whatever, plenty of people are going to feel ready and willing to chastise those they see with misplaced financial priorities. The Corolla driver sneers at the Lexus owner. The Lexus owner gives the stink eye to the guy in the Aston Martin. So it goes.

When someone lists inexpensive gear and their opinion is dismissed by someone with higher end stuff because they feel their opinions aren't relevant, that may be true depending on circumstance. Just as discussions among Porsche owners about proper tire choices have limited relevance to Corolla drivers, so it is in some aspects of audio. We all hope that if we choose our gear wisely and maximize synergy, we can put together audio systems that equal the performance of vastly more expensive systems. If you restrict the parameters of audio reproduction one values to a certain set of limited virtues, that might be possible. However, if you want to fill a large room with low accurate bass, a palpable and realistic soundstage, and realistic dynamics that reproduce an orchestra at full bore, you are not going to equal the performance of the best in the world for a bargain price. Just one example: if you've ever heard a properly set up top of the line MBL system, you know you are never going to duplicate that experience for $5k or even $25k, it takes serious dinero.

So, I've quit worrying about detractors at lower and higher price points than my system. Human nature is what it is and people's insecurities come to the fore in online forums. If you're going to participate in these forums, you have to have a little "hard bark" on you, like the sheriff in "no Country for Old Men" said. :lol:
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2014, 10:14 am by Photon46 »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #27 on: 7 Sep 2014, 12:56 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^   :thumb:

Also you have to remember that what you considered excellent sound quality in your 20's is not typically what you consider excellent sound quality in your 50's  :thumb:

I know in my case I have evolved a much more discerning opinion of what constitutes a great audio systems sound quality wise as I have aged and gained more experience and exposure to many systems and many studio and live venues.

james