Is Dolby Atmos the audio equivalent of in-home 3D TV?

RDavidson

I don't know about you guys, but Dolby Atmos seems stupid to me. Yeah, maybe it'd be great if you had a dedicated home theater room and had all the speakers custom installed. Otherwise, who the hell wants ALL those speakers in their living rooms?
Most Dolby Atmos receivers out now or coming soon, have (or will have) something like 11.1 or 11.2.....which is pretty absurd. Even more absurd is that Dolby Atmos can support 34 discrete channels (for home theater). THIRTY-FOUR! The whole thing makes me want to just get rid of my modest (yet complicated enough) 5.1 setup, and go to 2.1 or 3.1.
It's just another thing we'll be forced to buy if/when we wish to upgrade our receivers or preamps. Meanwhile, important features like amplification quality (in receivers) will take another hit.
So if you're I the market for a new receiver or preamp, now might be the time to jump on the outgoing models, before the Atmos versions flood the market and your choices are limited to paying for (yet something else) you may not really want or have any intention of using.

.....and soap box dismount.

gregcss

Re: Is Dolby Atmos the audio equivalent of in-home 3D TV?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2014, 02:48 am »
I think so. I haven't gone more than 5.1 and I'm satisfied. Reminds me of the mach 20 razor skit from madtv (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FAP8o5ZEo0). Where does it end?

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2014, 02:51 am »
It can be configured with just one extra pair of speakers - http://blog.dolby.com/2014/06/dolby-atmos-home-theaters-questions-answered/

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2014, 03:20 am »
Lets see,we came form mono to stereo to 5.1 which have all been quite a nice lift  over the years whether music or movie watching.
If Atmos  can make the in home more immersive especially for movies I'm all for it :thumb:..

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2014, 04:18 am »
You missed a couple of notable bygone formats : Quadraphonic "Stereo," and Dolby Prologic. :thumb:

Atmos : More immersive or just more gimmicky (to get us to buy more crap) like home 3D?

OK. I see the point of Atmos and I'm sure it can be more immersive.....but I think many would agree that a nice 5.1 or 7.1 setup is already quite immersive.

And with sooo many sound bars on the market, which serve as proof that many people won't put speakers all around their living rooms or don't have the space for them, just makes me think that Atmos for HT is dead in the water.

I just really despise the idea of paying for something that won't be useful, should I upgrade my receiver.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2014, 11:47 am »
Well for people who have actually heard it, including Andrew Jones (Pioneer SPBS22 + TAD $20K speakers) they say it's pretty amazing. You can hear rain falling down all around you plus the usual planes flying past overhead - back/forward, side to side - etc.

mav52

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2014, 12:12 pm »
I've heard ATMOS at a theater and I just can't see someone using speakers at home to bounce sound off your ceiling to a spot that you have to set in while attempting to give you the experience that one gets from being in a ATMOS theater.    For me ATMOS bouncing sound with speakers ( which you can make your self) reminds me of the 3D.  It will move along and then one day, die off like 3D and those little glasses.    Since all one needs is really an ATMOS processing AVR it might be enjoyable with 4 ceiling speakers, at least your not stuck in one spot.  I say do it right or don't do it at all.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2014, 12:22 pm »
I am sure the progression of surround formats will continue to evolve and improve.

I have a 5.1 setup in my basement, and do enjoy what it offers.

I am pretty into audio, as most of us around here are.

I am far from pining to setup a 7.1, 9.1 or any other surround format that will cost me $1000's to implement for movies.

Much rather invest a few more $ in my modest 2 channel system that shares the same room.

I might be convinced to try an Atmos experience at a theatre some time that it makes sense, if there is one near me and the movie the kids want to see is offered in that format.  When I pop ~$100+ (family of 4 - tickets, popcorn, drinks and other crap) you're damn right I want a superior experience to what I have at home!

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2014, 02:10 pm »
I've heard ATMOS at a theater and I just can't see someone using speakers at home to bounce sound off your ceiling to a spot that you have to set in while attempting to give you the experience that one gets from being in a ATMOS theater.    For me ATMOS bouncing sound with speakers ( which you can make your self) reminds me of the 3D.  It will move along and then one day, die off like 3D and those little glasses.    Since all one needs is really an ATMOS processing AVR it might be enjoyable with 4 ceiling speakers, at least your not stuck in one spot.  I say do it right or don't do it at all.

And that's exactly my point. I'm certain it sounds awesome. That's not the issue. The problem is that the system is just so impractical for all but those who have dedicated HT rooms. I don't personally know anyone with an HT room and I'm sure those who do have an HT room are very much a minority. So, with that said, the rest of us will be stuck with Atmos, but perhaps never fully implement it. Who enjoys paying for something useless? Not me. :?

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2014, 05:46 pm »
At some point, I'll do Atmos.  The generation of receivers announced so far (CEDIA is still a week ago) do 4k video half assed so I'll see what I'll do.  I'll wait for refurbs at least.  I have an attic above the living room (pic below) so it is not a big deal in that room.  Since the room sees lots of light, my daytime HT room is kept dark (pic below) and that room has in-ceiling surrounds and I have B&Ws (old P6s as mains) in there and a I have a pair of LM-1s in my office I could move there if needed as regular surrounds (and they are convenient as I could tilt them up on the sides of the room and move them when the room is not being used for HT).  So perhaps, I'll do the daytime HT first (since it is the easiest and then see what happens later on with the next generation of receivers).  I have 9 channels in the main systems (+subs) and if I got a couple of pair of nice speakers in the ceiling, I'm sure it would work out well.  Like any early technology, it will take software too.  My daytime HT has an old Marantz 6003 which I can move to the office and get rid of a 12 year old Sony V444ES anyway.  I'm not in a rush.  After a move, I've more or less just got things set-up.

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2014, 07:32 pm »
......then there's the super minority who have 2 full HT rooms / systems. Thanks Phil. :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2014, 07:47 pm »
......then there's the super minority who have 2 full HT rooms / systems. Thanks Phil. :thumb:

I actually have 4 HTs and could easily add a couple as I have in-ceiling surrounds in the office system (in addition to a left and right and sub) and a system (pic below) I am just using for 2-channel.  It is just that in FL the rooms are bright so I made one room dark (just one window and have shades, a piece of white poster board and room darkening drapes) so that I can watch daytime TV (e.g. football) or movies.

2-channel

bonus room 4.1 system

master bedroom - 5.1 - all in-ceilings and drop down (from in the ceiling) 92 inch screen

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #12 on: 5 Sep 2014, 07:53 pm »
I don't know about you guys, but Dolby Atmos seems stupid to me. Yeah, maybe it'd be great if you had a dedicated home theater room and had all the speakers custom installed. Otherwise, who the hell wants ALL those speakers in their living rooms?
Most Dolby Atmos receivers out now or coming soon, have (or will have) something like 11.1 or 11.2.....which is pretty absurd. Even more absurd is that Dolby Atmos can support 34 discrete channels (for home theater). THIRTY-FOUR! The whole thing makes me want to just get rid of my modest (yet complicated enough) 5.1 setup, and go to 2.1 or 3.1.
It's just another thing we'll be forced to buy if/when we wish to upgrade our receivers or preamps. Meanwhile, important features like amplification quality (in receivers) will take another hit.
So if you're I the market for a new receiver or preamp, now might be the time to jump on the outgoing models, before the Atmos versions flood the market and your choices are limited to paying for (yet something else) you may not really want or have any intention of using.

.....and soap box dismount.
Well no one is forcing you to upgrade.
As well do you think that putting Atmos into the chip will cost more money?
Only extra cost will be the licensing fee, which when scaled dwon will be pennies extra per unit.

If anything you should be happy  even exstatic!
Think about how many used AVRs will be for sale that do not have Atmos because the owners upgraded to get Atmos.

Oh whats that? You don;t buy used?
Great, buy last years model for cheap because the dealer is bring in AVR's with Atmos.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2014, 07:59 pm »
From what I've seen announced, I am not in a rush.  At this point my thoughts would be to grab a factory refurb Onkyo (around $400 at places like accessories4less.com) and use my in-ceiling surrounds (as the overhead channels) in the system below and take my B&W LM-1s from the office and use them as side surrounds (can easily angle them up and leave them behind the main speakers when not in use).  Then I could just move the Marantz 6003 to the office and get a pair of speakers (most of the time I use the cheapo speakers in the monitor unless I'm listening to music via JRiver as the kitchen is next to the office) that don't have to be overly expensive (I do have a couple of pairs already sitting unused in the garage and may give one away and use the other or just buy something - was even toying with buying powered Audio Engine speakers and do away with the office receiver).  That would allow me to wait until the next generation that will do full 4k video and I'd like to do 13.2 in the main system with two pairs of in-ceiling surrounds.  I have an integrated A/V system for the main system with a preamp with HT Bypass and amps for the left, right and center so I'd want everything else built in.  If I upgraded something down the road, I could just move one of Dolby Atmos receivers (either to the master bedroom or bonus room by adding side surrounds).  So I figure just start out slow with minimal investment and see how it takes off.

RDavidson

« Reply #14 on: 5 Sep 2014, 08:03 pm »
Well no one is forcing you to upgrade.
As well do you think that putting Atmos into the chip will cost more money?
Only extra cost will be the licensing fee, which when scaled dwon will be pennies extra per unit.

If anything you should be happy  even exstatic!
Think about how many used AVRs will be for sale that do not have Atmos because the owners upgraded to get Atmos.

Oh whats that? You don;t buy used?
Great, buy last years model for cheap because the dealer is bring in AVR's with Atmos.

I never said I was being "forced" to upgrade. I'm only complaining that when the times comes, I'll likely be paying for something useless, when all I wanted was the new HDMI version or some other USEFUL feature. Not to mention, we all know the amps in receivers have been getting watered down more and more (generally speaking) in receivers for quite awhile now. You think the manufacturers are really going to put a whole lot beefier power supply in these things to power the additional channels? Yeah right. Something's got to give. And no, I shouldn't be happy or ecstatic. The point of upgrading is to upgrade, not buy something that will be out of date sooner or won't be supported much longer. :duh:

But as Phil said, it's probably best just to wait it out awhile and see how things pan out if you're in no rush to have the newest thing......which I'm not.

This whole thread isn't about my personal needs anyway. It's about Atmos and how I feel it has the practical equivalence of in-home 3D.

RDavidson

« Reply #15 on: 5 Sep 2014, 08:13 pm »
My goodness, Phil. Taking a few guesses here....

You :
A) Are single
B) Have the coolest wife ever
C) Have 2 houses (one for you and one for the wife)
D) Have a wife that doesn't care (as long she also has equivalent toys/hobbies being funded)

........what else.....There has to be more explanations for all your systems and how they are able to coexist in the same space... :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 5 Sep 2014, 08:13 pm »
I never said I was being "forced" to upgrade. I'm only complaining that when the times comes, I'll likely be paying for something useless, when all I wanted was the new HDMI version or some other USEFUL feature. Not to mention, we all know the amps in receivers have been getting watered down more and more (generally speaking) in receivers for quite awhile now. You think the manufacturers are really going to put a whole lot beefier power supply in these things to power the additional channels? Yeah right. Something's got to give. And no, I shouldn't be happy or ecstatic. The point of upgrading is to upgrade, not buy something that will be out of date sooner or won't be supported much longer. :duh:

I agree.  Formerly I used pre/pros (and not cheap ones) with outboard amps in the main system.  That is like buying a future expensive door stop and that's why I now in 2 systems I have a HT with a preamp with HT Bypass.  In one system (the one in my last post) I picked up a Sherbourne preamp when they merged with Emotiva and blew it out for $179 with shipping included.  I figure if the front 3 channels are covered by outboard amps in the main system, it should not be a problem for surround channels.  I have a 9 channel receiver (Onkyo 1008) in the main system and am using 6 of the amps (height, surrounds and back channels).  The other system has an Emotiva 2-channel amp for the left and right and if I do 5.1 + the 2 height channels it is a piece of cake.

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 5 Sep 2014, 08:14 pm »
My goodness, Phil.

You :
A) Are single
B) Have the coolest wife ever
C) Have 2 houses (one for you and one for the wife)
D) Have a wife that doesn't care (as long she also has equivalent toys/hobbies being funded)

........what else.....There has to be more explanations for all your systems and how they are able to coexist in the same space... :lol:

A) is the correct answer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 5 Sep 2014, 08:15 pm »
I should add that the girlfriend loves the systems (it keeps me off the street :green:)

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 5 Sep 2014, 08:20 pm »
You should change your AC name to Lucky Phil!

(Jealous!  :green: )