BDP-1USB Digital Player

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-1USB Digital Player
« Reply #20 on: 6 Sep 2014, 01:51 pm »
Hi James!

Since the Bryston hasn't been updated yet, can you give us a technical brief on the specifications of the BDP-1USB. Is it basically a BDP-1 with no included sound-card or was it perhaps derived from BDP-2 with it's greater operating speed etc?

My estimation would be that it's the former.

Cheers!
Antun

It's a BDP-1 without a sound card

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #21 on: 6 Sep 2014, 09:51 pm »
It's a BDP-1 without a sound card

Chris,

why not a BDP-2 without soundcard??

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 6 Sep 2014, 11:02 pm »
Chris,

why not a BDP-2 without soundcard??

al.

Hi Al,

The BDP-2 has a much more expensive CPU and I wanted to keep the price as low as possible if just USB was required.

james

saveloy

« Reply #23 on: 7 Sep 2014, 11:46 am »
James,

It's been a long time - I hope you're well. 

What would your choice be: BDP-1USB or BDP-2?  I'm interested in sound quality only.  I presume it will come down to your preferred connection method.

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 7 Sep 2014, 12:19 pm »
James,

It's been a long time - I hope you're well. 

What would your choice be: BDP-1USB or BDP-2?  I'm interested in sound quality only.  I presume it will come down to your preferred connection method.

Kyri

Hi Kyri

Nice to hear from you  :thumb:

Yes I have customers that swear they prefer USB while others feel AES or BNC.  I like the BDP-2 if budget allows as you can have all of these choices in one unit and decide for yourself which one sounds best in your system.

james

saveloy

« Reply #25 on: 7 Sep 2014, 12:24 pm »
Thanks, James.  Seems like I'll be going with the BDP-2 then. 

Has there been any development with the digital only pre-amp or BDA-2/Pre-amp?

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 7 Sep 2014, 12:50 pm »
Thanks, James.  Seems like I'll be going with the BDP-2 then. 

Has there been any development with the digital only pre-amp or BDA-2/Pre-amp?

Kyri

Yes we still have that on the horizon.

james

saveloy

« Reply #27 on: 7 Sep 2014, 12:56 pm »
James,

Excellent.  I'm being patient and awaiting the outcome.  I'd like to move forward in one big step - I love the idea of a BDA-2/Pre-amp. 

Kyri

Rod_S

« Reply #28 on: 7 Sep 2014, 02:23 pm »
For those that only need USB out for now could they get the BDP-1USB and then say down the road if AES/EBU, SPDIF becomes necessary could a BUC-1 be connected after the BDP-1USB? I'm thinking that is cheaper than buying a BDP-2.

dgarratt

« Reply #29 on: 7 Sep 2014, 11:13 pm »
Hi James, will this be compatible with the BUC-1?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #30 on: 8 Sep 2014, 01:00 am »
For those that only need USB out for now could they get the BDP-1USB and then say down the road if AES/EBU, SPDIF becomes necessary could a BUC-1 be connected after the BDP-1USB? I'm thinking that is cheaper than buying a BDP-2.

There's no reason the BUC-1 wouldn't work with the BDP's, however if your in the market for a dac you might consider the BDA-2 as it would have the USB interface already.

Rod_S

« Reply #31 on: 8 Sep 2014, 05:39 pm »
There's no reason the BUC-1 wouldn't work with the BDP's, however if your in the market for a dac you might consider the BDA-2 as it would have the USB interface already.

Agreed, I'm just thinking of a situation where one doesn't need an external DAC, for example a user has a SP3. They could buy the BDP-1USB, connect that to the BUC-1 and from there go into either the AES/EBU or SPDIF inputs on the SP3. If you can connect to the SP3 via it's USB input then you wouldn't even need the BUC-1.

srb

« Reply #32 on: 8 Sep 2014, 07:06 pm »
Agreed, I'm just thinking of a situation where one doesn't need an external DAC, for example a user has a SP3. They could buy the BDP-1USB, connect that to the BUC-1 and from there go into either the AES/EBU or SPDIF inputs on the SP3. If you can connect to the SP3 via it's USB input then you wouldn't even need the BUC-1.

Buying a BDP-1USB and a BUC-1 USB converter together would cost you $2500, so it might make more sense to just buy the $2200 BDP-1 to feed an S/PDIF DAC or Bryston SP3 (USA MSRP).

You can connect the BDP-1USB directly to the USB input on the SP3, bearing in mind the limitation of 16/48 files on the USB input (for now anyway, until a higher resolution USB input daughter board is made available).

Steve

Rod_S

« Reply #33 on: 8 Sep 2014, 08:17 pm »
Buying a BDP-1USB and a BUC-1 USB converter together would cost you $2500, so it might make more sense to just buy the $2200 BDP-1 to feed an S/PDIF DAC or Bryston SP3 (USA MSRP).

You can connect the BDP-1USB directly to the USB input on the SP3, bearing in mind the limitation of 16/48 files on the USB input (for now anyway, until a higher resolution USB input daughter board is made available).

Steve

The BDP-1 has been discontinued so technically that's not an option anymore, not new anyways :) Thanks for the info about the limitation of the SP3's USB input. This is good information for people to know if they are looking at purchasing the SP3 and planning what else may be needed if they want high res audio.

R. Daneel

« Reply #34 on: 10 Sep 2014, 02:56 pm »
The BDP-1 has been discontinued so technically that's not an option anymore, not new anyways :) Thanks for the info about the limitation of the SP3's USB input. This is good information for people to know if they are looking at purchasing the SP3 and planning what else may be needed if they want high res audio.

Hi Rod!

To my knowledge, BDP-1 can still be made as a special order. I recently purchased a BDP-1 and they informed me they would stop making it since the BDP-2 was outselling it 10:1 but that it would still be available as a special order.

To be quite honest, I am extremely happy I got the BDP-1. Audio hardware is identical to the one in BDP-2 and the extra connections mean little to a person who wants to have a simple digital playback system. It loads thumbdrives very quickly and costs 1.000 Euro less. If BDP-2 was substiantially superior in some way, it would be a close call. I was still considering it but the premise of internal hard drive along with a massive passiver heat-sink for the faster processor made little sense when there cannot be differences in audio quality. So I got a BDP-1 and am still amazed. It is one of the last BDP-1 machines made by Bryston.

Cheers!
Antun

Rod_S

« Reply #35 on: 10 Oct 2014, 11:10 pm »
Thanks

I was wondering, with this new unit being introduced can we expect some possible near future changes with respect to the BDP-2 platform or another version of it, like a BDP-2.5 so to speak or BDP-3, etc?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 10 Oct 2014, 11:40 pm »
Thanks

I was wondering, with this new unit being introduced can we expect some possible near future changes with respect to the BDP-2 platform or another version of it, like a BDP-2.5 so to speak or BDP-3, etc?

Hi Rod

Absolutely no changes on the BDP2.

james

lhissink

« Reply #37 on: 16 Oct 2014, 10:53 pm »
Hi James

I've got a BDP-1 (one of the early ones, SN 0050), but is it possible to firmware it to output via USB at all? Playing DSD files is the problem and at present I need to digital players to do that.

Thanks in advance

Louis H

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 16 Oct 2014, 11:57 pm »
Hi James

I've got a BDP-1 (one of the early ones, SN 0050), but is it possible to firmware it to output via USB at all? Playing DSD files is the problem and at present I need to digital players to do that.

Thanks in advance

Louis H

Hi Louis

Yes the new Manic Mouse software will allow DSD output to a Class 2 DSD DAC

James

lhissink

« Reply #39 on: 17 Oct 2014, 12:10 am »
Hi James

Thanks!

Aha, I have 1.75 Loony whatever. Does the update work to do this? I've tried a couple of times and nothing happens.

Or do I need to get the file emailed etc to me and load it from a usb etc.

Thanks

Louis