Mid & Treble Pots

sbcgroup1

Mid & Treble Pots
« on: 3 Sep 2004, 01:24 pm »
First off...Happy B-Day, Rob & congrats on the SOA, John...

Anyways, do any of you crank those midrange & treble knobs on your speakers? I quasi-reset the knobs on the 40s...have both around 1:00...haven't critically listened to them to set 'em yet. I've been busy learning my pre/pro and tweaking the speakers during movies. Last night, I turned the treble pot all the way up on my 30C to bring out the dialogue. It sounds so much better now. Will I damage the speaker? Should I have done something else before I did this? All I know is...I like it!!

And you know what's even weirder...so far I like movie sound better w/o using the 30c as a center (just using the 40s). It just sounds so much more fuller with the dialogue and mid bass. Something wrong here too? Maybe if I lower the volume on the CC and raise the fronts a little more to try and blend them.....

Any input?

So far the system is dead quiet except for my rear surround Pinnacles, which I think is the crap in-wall speaker cable causing the hiss & hum....the VMPS are SO much better of a speaker!

Also, my African Ebony finish speakers aren't fully wrapped. Shouldn't they be? Anyone else with this situation?

Thanks,

-Ed

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Mid & Treble Pots
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2004, 01:54 pm »
You can have the pots fully open if it sounds better without any damage to the speakers according to previous posts by Brian.

George

ctviggen

Mid & Treble Pots
« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2004, 01:56 pm »
Hey Ed,

Did you balance the speakers with a sound level meter?  (I use the Avia DVD for this, but you can use test tones in your preamp.)

sbcgroup1

Re:
« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2004, 02:43 pm »
I want to try and use some test tones...still figuring out my pre/pro... I got hung up on the remote for a while and just got the OSD working last night. It didn't show up when I routed it thru my scaler, so I had to use an RF modulator and a little tv.

-Ed

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
mls
« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2004, 03:28 pm »
While the sample mls cabinets sent us in April had veneered backs, the production cabinets (made in his new facility) do not.  The veneer stops about 1 1/2" into the back baffle and is then painted.

ctviggen

Mid & Treble Pots
« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2004, 07:56 pm »
Ed,

I would definitely use a sound level meter and set the speakers to that.  It really helps.  You could easily have a 3db difference in speakers.  I'll be interested if you still like not have the CC after a while.  My GF and I were watching Shallow Hal, and he shuts a door and the bass from the RM30C (and the RM40s) shocked me (and her).  We both jumped.