Modwright KWI 200 or NAD C 390DD for computer audio + phono?

BenEde

A bit of a funny question, as I doubt these integrated directly compete in the mind of many people.  Imminent arrival of a new baby is forcing my hand on my current audio system (currently Gallo 3.1s, inefficient at 88dB/w/m, Butler TDB 2250, Cary Audio SLP-98P, and an Auralic Vega DAC).  It looks like I should now downsize and consolidate, and perhaps wait to attack again in the future.   :green:

I listen to two audio sources: computer (preferably via USB or HDMI) and turntable.  Both integrateds offer all-in-one solutions - optional DAC and phono modules. 

I recently heard the NAD 390DD and was extremely, extremely impressed (and I had never before considered this integrated as a serious option).   

Modwright needs no introduction and of course the KWI 200 has greater power reserves for my speakers.  It is also a lot more expensive, and a good deal of that goes into the beautiful casing, which is fantastic but to be honest I would be fine keeping that money at the moment! 

I would literally save thousands with the NAD.  Although USB input is apparently not great, I could use HDMI audio in, or even get a USB-to-SPDIF converter like the Audiophilleo1/2 with the extra cash, and still come out well ahead price-wise.

Has anyone heard these two integrated, or have any thoughts on comparisons?

Many thanks.

RDavidson

Re: Modwright KWI 200 or NAD C 390DD for computer audio + phono?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2014, 08:07 pm »
To me, the Modwright is more of a "destination" product, whereas the NAD (like most anything mass produced) just isn't made for the long haul. This isn't a jab at NAD. It just is what it is.

With that said, the NAD might be the better choice for you, given your current and soon-to-be situation. A few years down the road, when you're ready to jump back into the really nice stuff, you can just sell the NAD no big whoop. Not only that, you mention the beautiful craftsmanship and casework of the Modwright is part of the major expense. This beautiful casework (unless kept behind locked doors) is just a target for a growing child, and residual value greatly depends on its condition (including visual condition). As you've certainly noticed, you're paying for that pretty case and anyone looking to purchase it from you later, would also be taking this into consideration. With the NAD, if it suffers a little bit of wear and tear, it isn't as big of a knock on it's residual value.....as long as it isn't totally scratched up or have baby food and crayons smashed into all the nooks.

I think you realize all the above I've stated, but the man in you (not necessarily the dad in you) wants the Modwright, so needs some affirmation to just wait it out for a few years. Learning to sacrifice now (which is actually an important part of fatherhood) will lead to better things later. Trust me. Been there. Done that. I now have the best system I could've ever imagined, and my son is old enough now to know daddy's toys are OK to look at (and listen to), but not touch. :thumb:

mca

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2014, 09:25 pm »
Did you see the fully equipped KWI 200 for sale on Audiogon?

maxboy00

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2014, 11:51 pm »
As time and circumstance permits you can always circle back the to Modwright. As you know the MW is a much better amp, and will have no problem driving your speakers. Good luck.

BenEde

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2014, 01:22 pm »
Not only that, you mention the beautiful craftsmanship and casework of the Modwright is part of the major expense. This beautiful casework (unless kept behind locked doors) is just a target for a growing child, and residual value greatly depends on its condition (including visual condition). As you've certainly noticed, you're paying for that pretty case and anyone looking to purchase it from you later, would also be taking this into consideration. With the NAD, if it suffers a little bit of wear and tear, it isn't as big of a knock on it's residual value.....as long as it isn't totally scratched up or have baby food and crayons smashed into all the nooks.
Hah...I'm pretty sure you've stumbled onto the new Modwright marketing campaign:

Elegance.  Simplicity.  Truth.  Crayons.

Thanks for the wise advice, folks.  Agreed that the Modwright is what I want, but for right now the NAD will tide me over for a few years - and from everything that I hear, it is no slouch in and of itself.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2014, 02:46 pm »
Certainly. NAD makes some very good performing gear. And as you said, you were pretty impressed with what you heard in the store, so I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.........AND relatively worry-free (from crayons, baby food, drool, and various projectiles). :thumb:

Maybe NAD should tout their no frills cosmetics as being functional, ie baby deterrent. :lol: