A Sign?

Adz523

A Sign?
« on: 2 Sep 2004, 02:42 am »
Hmmm.  There's been a rollout of some new products in the past few days.  Is this possibly a sign of more good things to come such as a 1.7 MOD, hint hint......?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
A Sign?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2004, 11:33 am »
HI There,

No SP1.7 modes planned. We are still waiting for the digital hi-res universal output for SACD and DVD A issue to be standarized.

james

jradley

A Sign?
« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2004, 02:17 pm »
Hi,

Oh dear this is bad news indeed, as I think we could be waiting for a very long time, if not ever.

My understanding is that Firewire/I-Link/IEE-1394 (call it what you like) and HDMI are about the only contenders. I suspect that it will be long time before all manufaturers pick one or the other to go with. I don't see this happening within a timeframe of a few years.

Would it not be possible to develop the upgrade to the SP1.7 with both IEEE-1394 and HDMI ?

Failing that how about just a DAC replacement to bring it into line with the newer B60DA (I am right in thinking this is an updated DAC from the one in the SP1.7 or am I way off beam ?)

Just hoping,

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
A Sign?
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2004, 02:24 pm »
Hi John,

It appears to be going the HDMI route at this point - thank God we did not go off in the Firewire direction.
The DAC in the B60, the BP25, the new B100SST is the same as the one in the SP1.7.

james

nicolasb

A Sign?
« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2004, 04:58 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
The DAC in the B60, the BP25, the new B100SST is the same as the one in the SP1.7

But with an upsampling and (consequently) very effective jitter removal stage on the front end. I want that on my SP1.7. :)

rleeman

A Sign?
« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2004, 09:38 pm »
Hi James,

Is there any chance that we would see a Bryston universal player that plays SACD and DVD-A, in the near future? (Balanced/XLR output for stereo please.)

You could bide your time until the hi-res output issue gets sorted, and keep your Bryston fans happy...

Ideally, in the long run, I would want the 1.7 or then equivalent to do SACD/DVD-A decoding. I echo nicolasb's point on upsampling in the 1.7 for normal cd decoding.

Richard Leeman

James Tanner

• Facilitator
A Sign?
« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2004, 10:05 pm »
Hi Richard,

We are looking at universal players but there are not a lot of units available. Most companies just re-badge a Pioneer or other Japanese unit and call it their own.
If we do one we will want to use our discrete operational class A amplifiers for the output stage (rather than IC's) so we need a drive system only.
So far the only one I have found on the horizon is one from Phillips - but they say the universal unit is a ways off. They have an SACD version only at this point.

james