older shure v15

beat

older shure v15
« on: 18 Feb 2003, 09:41 pm »
Hello all,
How good is an older shure v15? I think it said series IV. It is on an old thorens 150 I am thinking about getting. He wants 90 bucks for all. Should I go for it? the research I've done shows I cant get replacement styli. But if it is in good shape now...?

Tonto Yoder

older shure v15
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2003, 03:08 am »
I've had a Shure V15 Type III since the '70's (can't remember how many replacement stylii). Recently Shure offered replacement stylii for $20 shipped: I ordered but have never re-installed the cart to check how it stacks up to today's models (I have a current Clearaudio).  As you say, series IV is no longer available (I believe).

Some people claim that the suspensions of carts can dry up over the years, so even a super cartridge sitting on a shelf unused may not be up to spec
once pressed into service.

Tonto Yoder

older shure v15
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2003, 12:58 pm »
There ARE some generic stylii--
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3008219129&category=3283

but your call whether $63 is too much.

beat

older shure v15
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2003, 02:29 pm »
hey thanks tonto,
The guy here in town says the new five series fits the four. so, if that is true I'm lookin at 150 for oem five. What do you think about the over all package - thorens td150 mk2 with that cart in good shape? overall probably a 8-9 out of 10 condition. For 89 bucks.

Tonto Yoder

older shure v15
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2003, 10:32 am »
The table I had the Shure on originally was a Thorens 165.  Looking at pics of the 150 on eBay, it seems the arm is less impressive than others in the Thorens line, but I won't extrapolate to the sonic differences.

The price seems fair, if not a great bargain, since similar tables have been sold on eBay in that same range.  One good thing is that Thorens is still a popular TT for resale, so you wouldn't  lose much, if anything, if you decide to upgrade later.

nathanm

older shure v15
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2003, 04:34 pm »
Is this cartridge (whichever version) really good in the tracking deptartment in anyone's experience? Meaning, can one expect less tracking distortion?  I have a Benz ACE now, and paid a hefty price for it, but the that one shure seems to have some cool features.  I like the little brush idea too. Hmmm...

Tonto Yoder

older shure v15
« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2003, 06:01 am »
I believe Shure V15's were famous for their trackability. My Type III came with an LP--"Shure obstacle course" or similar title that supposedly proved how superior the Shure was to other companies' offerings.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2508265791&category=306

You might search archives of various forums to see if others (with perhaps wider experience) share this opinion.

Tonto Yoder

Psst!!! Hey, Buddy!!! Wanna buy a box????
« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2003, 09:40 am »
My Shure Type III came in a "carved" box that was kind of classy, but I've long since lost it.  Wouldn't mind a replacement just for nostalgia's sake, but the following auction has gone higher than I ever expected.
Heck, I only PAID $50 for the cartridge back in the '70's!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=3008837719&rd=1