Salk SongTower QWT vs. SuperCharged, impressions on the two?

hogzilla

Hi all, I'm finally getting close to pulling the trigger on ordering a pair, but stuck on which to go with. I can get the SuperCharged, but trying to decide if it's worth nearly twice the price as the QWT. I haven't heard either, but with all the rave reviews of the QWT, I'm sure I'll love it. But I also plan to have them a very long time, so I'm not averse to spending extra. I am running a McIntosh 275 and will be pairing that with an AVA Fet Valve CF preamp. Plan to order that soon as well. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

rick_reynolds40

Re: Salk SongTower QWT vs. SuperCharged, impressions on the two?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2014, 11:58 am »
I think this guy's summation of the 3 speakers...Songtower, Supercharged and Veracity ST is spot on.  I had the Songtower for 2.5 years and now have the Veracity ST.  If I was choosing between QWT and Supercharged, I would go Supercharged.

http://www.salksound.com/veracity%20st%20-%20home.htm

hogzilla

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2014, 02:25 pm »
I think this guy's summation of the 3 speakers...Songtower, Supercharged and Veracity ST is spot on.  I had the Songtower for 2.5 years and now have the Veracity ST.  If I was choosing between QWT and Supercharged, I would go Supercharged.

http://www.salksound.com/veracity%20st%20-%20home.htm

Oh man, now there's a third option in the mix. Although, may be squeaking outside of my price pain threshold. Certainly a consideration. Thanks for posting that!

srb

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2014, 02:52 pm »
I can get the SuperCharged, but trying to decide if it's worth nearly twice the price as the QWT.

Oh man, now there's a third option in the mix.

There's also a fourth option at just a little less than half the difference pricewise between the Songtower QWT and the Songtower Supercharged .... the Songtower QWT-RT (with the RAAL Ribbon Tweeter upgrade).  If my budget was tight and I didn't want to spend for both the RAAL tweeter and SEAS Excel woofers of the Supercharged, that's what I would get.

Steve

hogzilla

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2014, 03:12 pm »
 :slap: NOOO! (I kid of course.)

Thanks for that fourth option. I am more intrigued by the better bass response of the SC. However, this comes not hearing the difference between the dome and ribbon tweeter. I will do a little hunting and see if I can find info on the difference between the two.

ernest787

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2014, 04:37 pm »
i have a pair of the STRT and I must say they are fantastic.  Personally, I'd make my choice between that and the SCST. The RT was a game changer for me. 

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2014, 03:12 am »
There's also a fourth option at just a little less than half the difference pricewise between the Songtower QWT and the Songtower Supercharged .... the Songtower QWT-RT (with the RAAL Ribbon Tweeter upgrade).  If my budget was tight and I didn't want to spend for both the RAAL tweeter and SEAS Excel woofers of the Supercharged, that's what I would get.

Steve

+1!

glangford

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2014, 10:50 am »
There is also a fifth option. Jim has built the SCST with the OW2 dome tweeter, which saves a bit of cash and gets you the improved bass response.  Personnaly, I have the SCST and am completely satisfied. 

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2014, 10:56 am »
There is also a 6th option....

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121993.msg1284528#msg1284528

I was VERY tempted to get the Silk Tower instead of the Veracity ST.   I am still intrigued by his speaker and may get a pair someday.  I have heard the Silk Monitors and they are awesome.

JonnyFive

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2014, 12:39 pm »
Try and audition with/without the RAAL.  Once you decided whether or not you want the RAAL (you probably will), this will narrow your choices.

Decide how much bass extension you need.

Also, consider the Silk Towers if you want something a hair towards the warmer side of things. 

But first try and audition so you can decide on the RAAL. :)

hogzilla

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:24 pm »
Some interesting food for thought here. Unfortunately, I'll have to just make an educated decision. I'm pretty sold, as of now, to the STSC. It fits best with my budget and provides a lot of performance for the money. With all the tubes, my system is (and will be) warm, so a little extra definition up top will be a nice balance, I'm thinking. I've been doing some homework on the RAAL and I'm pretty sold from everything I've read.

JonnyFive

« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:38 pm »
Some interesting food for thought here. Unfortunately, I'll have to just make an educated decision. I'm pretty sold, as of now, to the STSC. It fits best with my budget and provides a lot of performance for the money. With all the tubes, my system is (and will be) warm, so a little extra definition up top will be a nice balance, I'm thinking. I've been doing some homework on the RAAL and I'm pretty sold from everything I've read.

That's a great choice, I think you'll be really happy with them.

hogzilla

« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2014, 09:40 pm »
I'm going to sit tight for now and see what Jim puts up for immediate availability. Looks like every once in a while the STSC and Veracity ST pop up. Maybe I'll feel motivated to take the plunge into the Veracity version if the right one comes along. :)

ernest787

« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2014, 04:23 am »
That's not a bad idea. I bought my STRT and my ht3s  with that method. Got good deals on both and was very happy with the decision

hogzilla

« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2014, 08:10 pm »
Indeed. The ones I've seen him post are gorgeous. He does very impressive work. Looking forward to having them in my system hopefully sooner than later.

hogzilla

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2014, 04:42 pm »
I put in my order for the STSCs this morning. Can't wait! :dance:

gregcss

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2014, 04:50 pm »
I put in my order for the STSCs this morning. Can't wait! :dance:

Congrats. Which veneer did you go with?

hogzilla

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2014, 05:09 pm »
I am going with walnut with a dark "burst" of darker walnut dye on the edges. The current veneer he has has a nice fiddleback pattern to it. This should look really special.