Anybody using passive subs/passive crossover along with their normal speakers???

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
After reading about somebody adding passive subs with their speakers, I got me interested in doing that as well. They were using 15 inch subs but I wanted to use either 8 inch, 10 inch, or 12 inch subs.

But, does anybody do this? Any pictures for ideas?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Back in 1980 I had I. M. Fried Model B's (small 2-ways), then added the matching 8 inch woofers in 6 cubic foot mass loaded transmission line cabinets ($500 DIY kits).  Great sound in a 20,000 cubic foot chapel, but way too much for any space I'd ever afford.  I was warned, but like a moth to the flame couldn't resist such magnificent instruments.  They were rated to handle up to 114 dB at 17 Hz and I believe it.  Still own a pair of Frieds (very musical, non-fatiguing sound).  The lesson here, is to match any passive subs to the room. 

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
After reading about somebody adding passive subs with their speakers, I got me interested in doing that as well. They were using 15 inch subs but I wanted to use either 8 inch, 10 inch, or 12 inch subs.

But, does anybody do this? Any pictures for ideas?
How will you power the passive subs?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
How will you power the passive subs?

Single amplifier. The passive crossover will give lows to the woofers and highs to my regular speakers.

RDavidson

I think a passive crossover (as you're thinking) could introduce phase issues between your mains (assuming your speakers also have passive crossovers in them) and sub, which I believe is the primary reason people use active crossovers. Active crossovers allow for tons of adjustments and, I believe, more precision. Pass Labs, Bryston, and Marchand make highly regarded active crossovers. They are also expensive (especially the Pass Labs). Yes, these don't seem as simple as a passive crossover, but in the end I think it is the lesser of 2 "evils."

Hopefully someone else will chime in here. I've actually looked into the same sort of thing myself. I've been thinking of making my main speakers roll off sooner (so I don't need as much power going to them to produce bass) and blending an active subwoofer with them. This way I can possibly play around with some of the really nice, lower powered, amps out there without necessarily needing to buy a set of "high efficiency" speakers. A nice active crossover also opens the doors to building simple speaker systems and dialing in the driver crossover points and roll-off characteristics to your needs.

JLM

My passive woofers had their own 1st order crossover (including a huge air core inductor), so the amp fed the woofer/crossover and those cabinets were tethered to the mains.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
My passive woofers had their own 1st order crossover (including a huge air core inductor), so the amp fed the woofer/crossover and those cabinets were tethered to the mains.

Pics?

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
Curios why you would choose this over an active subwoofer? :scratch:

JLM

Pics?

Sorry, no.  That was decades before, digital images, Al Gore, or the internet.