Fet Valve CF and McIntosh 275, anyone running that pairing?

hogzilla

I have a 275 and really like the idea of pairing the two. Seems a natural fit, but would love to hear others opinions.

Thanks! Chris

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Fet Valve CF and McIntosh 275, anyone running that pairing?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2014, 07:05 am »
I think that would be an excellent  pairing - or a Conrad Johnson Classic or Classic 2 preamp from Spearit Sound (ask for at least a 30% discount over list - or check out their audiogon listings).

No remote control option on those CJs though  (Fet valve is optional) unless you go for the much more expensive ET3.

Should we be discussing options to AVA on AVA's industry circle....  :scratch:

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2014, 01:34 pm »
I have heard this combination (Fet Valve CF preamp driving a Mac 275 amplifier) and the sound was very nice.  The system used restored Dahlquist DQ10 speakers in a close field environment and was run at pretty low listening levels. I was left with the impression, however, that using a much less expensive Fet Valve 400R amplifier would have provided better dynamic and transient response, bass control and overall sense of being live.  The overall experience was very engaging musicality though.

Frank

hogzilla

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2014, 02:32 pm »
Thanks for the input Frank! The speakers to finish out this setup will be Salk SongTower QWT or SuperCharged. Haven't come to a decision on that yet.

The Fet Valve CF seems a good matchup to the Mac. And I like the simplicity compared to the C220-2200-2300. Not too interested in a piece of 2 channel equipment that needs firmware updates. But I digress… This is helpful.

Also, I know the Vision phono can be added, but have you added, or is it possible to, add two Vision photo stages to a Fet Valve CF? I'm running two tables. Otherwise, I would get a stand alone AVA phono stage for it.

Thanks all!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2014, 04:35 pm »
I heard a C220 preamp and was very underwhelmed.  It sounded midfi compared to the Atma-Sphere MP3 and ARC LS27 preamps that I compared it to.  I think that the Fet Valve CF is a much better sounding preamp.  The C220 did not even sound as good as my AVA Ultra plus preamp that I brought along for the evaluation of the preamps.

hogzilla

« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2014, 05:04 pm »
I heard a C220 preamp and was very underwhelmed.  It sounded midfi compared to the Atma-Sphere MP3 and ARC LS27 preamps that I compared it to.  I think that the Fet Valve CF is a much better sounding preamp.  The C220 did not even sound as good as my AVA Ultra plus preamp that I brought along for the evaluation of the preamps.

That's good to know as it was on my shortlist. I'm pretty solidly sold on the Fet Valve CF solution.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #6 on: 6 Aug 2014, 05:08 pm »
I have an Avastar preamp  with  Phono and a Mac 352 amp. VSA speakers. I'm happy with that system. Sounds pretty good.

Cheers
                                                                          Charlie

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 6 Aug 2014, 05:33 pm »
Yes, we can build a Fet Valve CF preamp with two separate Vision phono sections, either MM or MC or adjustable, any choice of two. The Line 1 and Line 2 inputs would both be phono inputs and you would still have 4 more sets of inputs plus tape inputs for high level sources.

Frank

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2014, 05:59 pm »
Can't speak to the Mac combo, but recently had my T-8 w/phono (late 2007 build) upgraded to the CF with the new adjustable Vision phono. Well worth the investment imo. Am running an 'old' AVA Fet Valve Ultra 500 (also late '07 build) amp with mine. Honestly don't think you'll get more bang for the buck and doubt you'd be disappointed. Of course YMMV.  8) Welcome & happy listening.  :thumb:

PS  There's always Frank's trial period return policy if it doesn't float your boat.

hogzilla

« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2014, 06:14 pm »
Yes, we can build a Fet Valve CF preamp with two separate Vision phono sections, either MM or MC or adjustable, any choice of two. The Line 1 and Line 2 inputs would both be phono inputs and you would still have 4 more sets of inputs plus tape inputs for high level sources.

Frank

That is quite excellent. Would be perfect for my needs. So I would have to specify either one when ordering, either MC or MM? Also, I've been wondering, it sounds like you need to set dip switches for the specific cart settings, are those under the cover or available to set outside of the cover? Not that it matters, just curious.

Chris

hogzilla

« Reply #10 on: 6 Aug 2014, 06:15 pm »
Can't speak to the Mac combo, but recently had my T-8 w/phono (late 2007 build) upgraded to the CF with the new adjustable Vision phono. Well worth the investment imo. Am running an 'old' AVA Fet Valve Ultra 500 (also late '07 build) amp with mine. Honestly don't think you'll get more bang for the buck and doubt you'd be disappointed. Of course YMMV.  8) Welcome & happy listening.  :thumb:

PS  There's always Frank's trial period return policy if it doesn't float your boat.

Thanks! From everything I've learned, I'm very confident in this Pre and the build. It sounds like a solid winner.  :thumb:

avahifi

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2014, 08:56 pm »
With the adjustable phono section, you do have to remove the cover to flip the switch settings.  But of course you only need to do that when you change phono cartridges.

Frank

Pryso

« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2014, 06:30 pm »
"you only need to do that when you change phono cartridges"

Certainly true Frank but some folks specifically choose arms with interchangeable headshells so they can more quickly utilize different cartridges.  If one has a large LP collection with original monos, electronically enhanced stereo (better to play back as mono), early stereo and recent stereo, having more than one cartridge and the ability to quickly and easily change them may be an advantage.  Having lived with a phono stage with selectable gain and loading but covered by a screwed down lid that can become inconvenient.

I may be in the minority but having easier access to switches is a benefit.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2014, 06:47 pm »
I may be in the minority but having easier access to switches is a benefit.

Yup.  Thats why for vinylphile's like you there are external phono stages with easily selectable gain / capacitance / loading / etc options.  95% of vinyl people are gonna put one cartridge on and leave it until it breaks either with use or after one too many drinks.  In keeping w/ Frank's philosophy, keep it simple and the cost down. 

hogzilla

« Reply #14 on: 9 Aug 2014, 05:24 am »
It would be cool to have a phono selection switch on the front panel like the Sansui C-2301 and a many others out there over the years. Maybe technical drawbacks?

avahifi

« Reply #15 on: 9 Aug 2014, 02:54 pm »
To provide switchable MC gain and loading accessible from outside the box, I would need to do a complete redesign and retooling of both the chassis themselves and the PC cards.  This is a very expensive process to serve the interests of very few potential clients.

Audio by Van Alstine's goal is to product very high quality musical playback at rational prices.  Our new Vision phono section is unique and provides exceptional musical performance, available as a free standing phono preamp at $599 or as built in options in all our preamplifiers with a base option price of $249 or $299 for a fully adjustable unit.  Note that our actual cost of the active gain devices required alone is over $100 in each circuit. We could not possibly offer these extraordinary values if we had to design and tool all new metal and circuit cards too.

There are lots of units out there will many bells and whistles, buy them if high value great musicality is not your main goal.

Frank Van Alstine

hogzilla

« Reply #16 on: 11 Aug 2014, 08:00 pm »
This question was posed as a curiosity. I have two carts I use, one on each table. So once it's set, it probably won't be set for a while. Popping the top and adjusting some switches isn't a huge deal.