Volume controls

LordCloud

Volume controls
« on: 31 Aug 2004, 02:07 pm »
I am in the market for some mods to my current preamp. One thing I had thought about and was recently suggested to me is upgrading the volume controls. Right now, even the lowest setting is pretty loud. I also feel that I am losing transparency because of my volume controls. What should I look into as far as a really good volume control that's not going to put me in the poor house (I still have to pay someone to put it in)? I was looking at Goldpoint Audio, anyone have any other suggestions?

dado5

Volume controls
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2004, 06:43 pm »
If your low volume setting is too loud, you have to much voltage gain in your system. If your are happy with your amp and speakers (I luv  Meadowlarks BTW), you should think about replacing your pre-amp with a lower gain unit, a buffer or even a passive.  You could also try lowering the gain (aka raising the input sensitivity) of your amp by installing a voltage divider and/or changing feed back levels (check with the manufacturer on this).

I have always been cursed with this problem.  Even pre-power combos from the same manufacturer gave me headaches (Rogue, C-J, Rotel)

Good luck,
Rob

Mike B.

Volume controls
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2004, 06:55 pm »
I bought one of the ladder types being sold on ebay by a seller in Taiwan. The units use Dale metal film resistors. It made a big improvement over the alps unit in the preamp. Much better definition. I think the price was right at $50.

JoshK

Volume controls
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2004, 07:47 pm »
Mike, Can you give us some more info than that for those of us, like myself who might be interested in such a volume control?

ohenry

Volume controls
« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2004, 08:14 pm »
I saw this a while back at DIY Zone, but I haven't quite figured out what to do after I get the item in the shopping cart (chinese is tough for me, but my boss can help).

Check here:

http://www.my3c.net/product/detail.asp?gid=0&ky=vr&pid=1835

Mike B.

Volume controls
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2004, 08:20 pm »
I just checked my Paypal account and the guy I got it from is Yen Chen Kuo. The e-mail address I have is kyc_one@hotmail.com. The unit I bought was a 100K stereo unit. Funny thing is it was made in Mexico according to the box. The tabs for connecting the wires are not marked and you will need a ohm meter to detemine in, out and ground. I replace a pair of stereo Alps blue pots used as mono units. They had a special mod that I can't devulge that Bob Crump gave to me. This ladder pot just opened things up with a much better defined the stage. Big improvement. Amazing what a switch adds or does not let through. Check ebay Taiwan if he is not doing business on ebay America.

Mike B.

Volume controls
« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2004, 08:23 pm »
I just noticed that a important part of the e-mail address is obscured by the underline. There should be a single underline between kyc and one. I paid $51 and shipment was $6.