TT Weights Gem turntables?

Bear

TT Weights Gem turntables?
« on: 1 Aug 2014, 09:37 pm »
Not a lot of user comments or reviews of these tables, anyone out their have any experience to share?  I have an itch, perhaps I should just stick with the old Technics SL1200 and save :duh: spend the $ elsewhere.

http://www.ttweights.com/home.html

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
Re: TT Weights Gem turntables?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2014, 12:26 am »
It is serious $ so the competition will be fierce at that price. My suggestion which I am sure you have already considered is to call them up and see if they are committed to your satisfaction. Can they point you to an owner within reasonable distance that will let you come over and get a feel for the table. Will they let you demo one and return it?

Like I said I am sure you have already considered this.

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2014, 01:42 am »
Move to " Beatles"

watercourse

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2014, 06:13 am »
Some of the worst customer service out there from TTWeights, IME.

Bought a periphery ring, didn't fit the platter despite it being advertised as a "universal" even though he swore it would, and they wouldn't take it back. They clearly don't want/need US customers, as they won't even use CanadaPost to reduce shipping costs.

For that money, there are many, many other tables I'd be looking at, and other companies I'd like to support.

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2014, 07:03 am »

Bought a periphery ring, didn't fit the platter despite it being advertised as a "universal" even though he swore it would, and they wouldn't take it back. They clearly don't want/need US customers, as they won't even use CanadaPost to reduce shipping costs.

For that money, there are many, many other tables I'd be looking at, and other companies I'd like to support.

Hi watercourse.
Universal = Don't fit = wont take it back !
Who need a supplier like that ?
No one needs a supplier like that.
How can to sleep tight at night after doing something like that ?
That's terrible, I hope they go bankrupt.

Guy 13
You did a good thing when mentioning that bad experience of yours.

Bear

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2014, 03:09 pm »
Thank you for the info. Watercourse, way too much money to invest in that type of service :nono:.  Sorry to hear of the perph ring(that thing is expensive for what it is) incident, just sad.  I really would like to find a motor and platter that will work with one of these:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/252742-digital-turntable-tachometer-dds-based-psu.html

I like this concept, should be on every table IMO.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2014, 08:26 pm »

This company came out of nowhere and started advertising like crazy on Agon.  They constantly have 2 or 3 ads running on turntable section.  Of course they want US customers.  This is where the money is. 

I've read little about them except a couple of negative posts, but this is ridiculous fly-by-night bullshit.  Won't take it back?

When something like this happens call your credit card company and you'll get almost an immediate refund.  Be prepared to ship it back at your expense.  Seriously, it's that easy.  Even if you use Paypal it's just slightly more involved.  Open a dispute with Paypal and then call your credit card company.  It's important to call the credit card company otherwise you'll wait weeks.   Even if you use a debit card (not recommended with unknown companies) call the bank and open a dispute.  They'll send you a new card while you wait for settlement.

No legitimate company does business like this.   Avoid them like the plague. 
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2014, 09:36 pm »
Thank you for the info. Watercourse, way too much money to invest in that type of service :nono:.  Sorry to hear of the perph ring(that thing is expensive for what it is) incident, just sad.  I really would like to find a motor and platter that will work with one of these:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/252742-digital-turntable-tachometer-dds-based-psu.html

I like this concept, should be on every table IMO.

That looks like a great supply and controller.  What you need is a table that uses an AC motor.  So check before you make an offer.  Some tables have DC motors - like Sota or Origin Live.  I think VPI and Linn use AC synchronous motors.  Most vintage belt drives use AC motors.
neo