GK-1R layout suggestions

MattCassidy

• http://www.claritymultimedia.com.au
GK-1R layout suggestions
« on: 31 Aug 2004, 10:10 am »
Anyone got some pics of a completed GK-1R? Or perhaps some general suggestions as to the layout of the various components within a case.

I have started this project and to date have completed the main board only and am curious about the approach others have taken in respect to getting the case built first, last or whatever. I hav a 100W-N which is in a case 440mm wide and 300 deep and however high the heatsinks are, ideally the dimensions of the GK-1 will be the same width and depth.

Any suggestions welcome

Matt

andyr

GK-1R layout suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2004, 11:09 am »
Hi, Matt,

I'm afraid I'm not too much up with diagrams on this Forum - I tried some once and they didn't come out!

So I'll give you R/L, F/B descriptions of my GK-1R.  I have ZERO hum at the speakers with the vol control turned to max on high-level inputs (ie. not phono) so I reckon I must've got it right!  :)

I used a standard Altronics rack-mount case.  You could get away with a 2RU high case but I actually chose a 3RU case because underneath the Relay and Main GK-1 PCBs, I have 4 x 6v gel-cells to power an MC head-amp which goes before the phono stage part of the Relay PCB.  However, these gel-cells only affect case height.

LHS of the Altronics case are:
* at the back, the two power supply trannies (at right angles) and to their right, the digital power supply.  All these are mounted on Sorbothane pads (the bolts go through the case bottom, through the Sorbothane pads and then through the component).
* at the front, the push-button PCB vertically against the front panel and the master digital board spaced up from the bottom of the case.

On the back of the case, behind the two PS trannies are the IEC socket, fuse and mains switch.

RHS of the case are:
* at the back, the relay PCB (mine includes the MM phono stage plus an extra board which Hugh has for MC cartridge step up)
at the front, the main GK-1 PCB - horizontal with the toobs poking out the top of the case.

Between the LHS and the RHS of the case is a mild steel divider running the full height of the case, with slots in the top for all the power supply wires.  This stops hum from getting into the GK-1 signal wiring.

The PCBs are supported by right-angle brackets screwed to the divider and the RHS of the case.  The PCBs rest on Sorbothane pads and bolts go through the PCBs, the Sorbothane pads and the right-angle brackets.

Regards,

Andy

Malcolm Fear

GK-1R layout suggestions
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2004, 12:18 pm »
I put my GK-1 in a 3RU case. The valves point upwards.
I placed the board east west in the case, towards the front. I placed the transformers, one each side of the board, in the middle front to back. This allowed me to mount the case on a shelf, supported by an innertube without it tilting to one side.