Stumbled upon this new speaker campaign on Kickstarter

sealkojac

I stumbled across this new campaign on Kickstarter and thought I'd share the link. Looks like a nice stack of drivers, if your in California you could probably get a demo. I literally tossed a few dollars towards the campaign and got a personal thank you email from Mark who is trying to launch the company.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/325451820/audiophile-speaker-manufacturing-master-and-produc?ref=nav_search

*I should ad that I have no affiliation to the campaign or the "starter" for this speaker company (since my post has been questioned in some of the responses below)*
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2014, 11:58 am by sealkojac »

John Casler

Re: Stumbled upon this new speaker campaign on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2014, 09:54 pm »
Thanks for the heads up.  This is news to me, but needless to say, I am interested and have reached out to the Starter.

simoon

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2014, 10:46 pm »
I live pretty close, so I might try to find the time to audition them, if the Starter allows it.

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2014, 11:00 pm »
Hi all.
I would be very curious to read what Danny think of those speakers.

Guy 13

srb

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2014, 11:22 pm »
I'm not quite getting it.

For $10K you get a pair of speakers with 4 planar mids, a tweeter and a 2 X 6" small bass enclosure?  That's what's talked about in the video but it's not really clear what you're actually going to get for a $10K pledge.

For $2500 you get a two-way with a planar tweeter and a 6" midbass?  One could buy a variety of pairs of speakers already in production with driver complements like that for $2500 all day long.

Based on the lack of information, I'm going to actually be surprised at reaching more than a couple $K in 27 days.  $50,000?  I'm afraid I'm just not seeing that at all.

Steve

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2014, 11:26 pm »
The raised main panel crossed over to the floor box at 600Hz??
That's one octave above middle "C" and right in the center of the critical voice range.
Maybe if the planar mid's could reach down to 200Hz you could tolerate the driver separation.

Brian Cheney, Veritone Minimum Phase Speakers ... RIP.

Shawn

srb

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2014, 11:29 pm »
The raised main panel crossed over to the floor box at 600Hz??
That's one octave above middle "C" and right in the center of the critical voice range.
Maybe if the planar mid's could reach down to 200Hz you could tolerate the driver separation.

But it's a "technical masterpiece"!   ;)

Steve

GT Audio Works

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2014, 11:43 pm »
Looks interesting. I wonder what the price will be on that model?
The tweeter reminds me of a Panasonic ribbon.
Is the planar driver sourced from the same manufacturer as VMPS used ?
Don't think its a BG or a MAD.
I am wondering why he has the bass cab separate and the panel on a stand.
Why not integrate them together. If the xover is around 600hz you don't want them too far from the panel.

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2014, 11:44 pm »
I'm not sure what the advantage of this design is to.....oh, I dunno.....Martin Logans or Sanders or others who have been making fully integrated Electrostats for a LONG time. :scratch: It would be a "technical masterpiece" if his design performed as well as anything from the others mentioned.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2014, 11:58 pm »
Sounds like he is saying big buck speakers are not worth the money.
In some cases that may be true, but there are plenty of established mega buck high end products the sound awesome and if you can afford them why not ??
If he wants to sell these to HT folks for their flat screens they better be very cheap and he better have one hell of a marketing campaign.
Personally I think Martin Logan has that covered.

simoon

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2014, 12:04 am »
I am wondering why he has the bass cab separate and the panel on a stand.
Why not integrate them together. If the xover is around 600hz you don't want them too far from the panel.

What I am seeing on his Kickstarter page is that the version with the panels on the stand, and the separate woofer enclosure is his working prototype.

There is a photo of Production models that are integrated.

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2014, 12:08 am »
600Hz floor box crossover aside, the planar dipole speakers should be positioned away from the front wall to sound their best, but if you mount a flat panel TV on the wall what is the point??

Listen to C5 coming from the floor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_frequency

Common sense, alas in spite of our educational institutions, is a rare commodity.
Christian Nestell Bovee 1820-1904

Shawn

SlushPuppy

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2014, 12:16 am »
There isn't much information on Mark Hovanec, at least not as a speaker builder. No builds, DIY competitions, nothing. Just a few links to his Kickstarter page. I wouldn't toss $1 at this.

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2014, 12:31 am »
Yeah, the problem is he's apparently making these "high tech" speakers for people who are less technically inclined. For those people, willing to spend that kind of money, they'll turn to Bose or possibly a light custom installation or both.

For those who are technically inclined, the problem is we see that he's not doing anything innovative as he thinks he is. For those of us, we have ML, Sanders, Quads, etc. I know Magnepans aren't electrostats, but I'll throw them in there as they share many of the same characteristics. I'll also throw Legacy in there as they are one of the main guys doing some great things integrating dynamic drivers with limited range/size electrostatic drivers. For good measure, I'll throw Vapor in there too.

Sorry for thread dumping. It doesn't matter how good or bad an idea is. If you don't truly understand who your target market is, don't start a Kickstarter campaign. :duh:

BruceSB

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2014, 01:36 am »
Probably you should add JansZen at least into the mix.
Possibly even SoundLab.
But we already know that, and as you say, the Bose type customers don't even know they exist leave alone how really great sounding they are!
Still, I hope the guy who is following his dream goes OK.
It is a wonderful thing to follow your dream.
Regards
Bruce

srb

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2014, 01:49 am »
Still, I hope the guy who is following his dream goes OK.
It is a wonderful thing to follow your dream.

Yes it is.  But you have to do your homework, your due diligence.  Why on earth would I want to invest in an unknown 2-way speaker from an unknown designer/manufacturer for $2500?  I could buy a Vapor Breeze 6" 2-way with a totally proven top of the line RAAL ribbon transducer for $1495.

The lure of funding a Kickstarter campaign would be to ideally get a great product at maybe close to half the market price, not twice the price ..... for an unknown entity to boot.

Follow that dream, but come back with a detailed presentation of the product with a thought out business strategy, then perhaps any possible success will actually be deserved.

Steve

BruceSB

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2014, 02:17 am »
You are completely right in every word that you say.
I thought, but did not actually state it, that this may be one of those "dreams" that fail.
Sad that this guy did not have some audiophile friends who could have given some good advice.
Hey, he could have even floated his ideas here!!
Just some thoughts.
Bruce

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2014, 02:29 am »
I would have thought that price level too high for kickstarter projects - ? Pricing aside, agree with others that the campaign is not well prepared at all. Amongst other things, it's not stated what specifically the money will be used for / why it's needed (unless it in the video, I couldn't watch the whole thing...). Well, at least he's having a go, and may do better on a second attempt (if KS allows it?)

Davey

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2014, 03:01 am »
The OP registered four years ago and this is his first post on AC.  He must be the sales manager.  :)

The whole thing is just eye-brow raising, highly irritating and seemingly aimed at suckers.

Dave.

Don_S

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2014, 05:48 am »
I find it impossible to put any faith in a first post that is basically an advertisement. I have already been "orphaned" on four major, famous-brand speakers that would be immediately recognizable to anyone on this forum.  I am not sure why the companies folded but I am hoping for better luck next time.

The OP registered four years ago and this is his first post on AC.  He must be the sales manager.  :)

The whole thing is just eye-brow raising, highly irritating and seemingly aimed at suckers.

Dave.