The story so far....

DeadFish

The story so far....
« on: 31 Aug 2004, 04:18 am »
Tip o' the hat and thanks to Steve who came over for a while this evening to strap up his Foreplay pre amp into my Bryston/Altec rig.
Once again, tubes started bringing out the best in the Altecs, with all the 60 watts the Bryston had to offer.  Well, maybe too much, as the gain was quite significant even on 'notch 1' on the Foreplay.  My dear Mrs. DeadFish would surely have something to say if I couldn't ever 'TURN IT DOWN!', to-be-sure.... :o
("Honest Honey, it WON'T turn down anymore!")  :D
....no, I'm not so addled I don't know how far that would fly....

BEYOND that little glitch, it was really sounding nice, especially considering what a minimal investment the Foreplay represents.
I believe we listened to BugleBoy tubes in it for a while, and they sounded good to me, except for the impression (in my one-eared head) that there was a muddled or condused sense to midrange instruments, for me.
When Steve switched to 'clear-top' tubes, it seemed more clear to me.
All in all, most anything I threw at the system seemed to get it right in removing the sense of 'shrill' I had heard with my stock system.
Once again, thanks Steve for the tastes, and helping me get my Sopranos theme fix.  :wink:

I'm still 'on the prowl' for something 'tubish' to harness in here, but no decisions yet.  
...the story continues.

DF

G

The story so far....
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2004, 05:13 pm »
Hey Fish. I'm in the process of collecting parts to build a Foreplay and I have found this link for a Shunt attenuator that I'm going to build for it:

http://www.siteswithstyle.com/VoltSecond/12_posistion_shunt/12_Position_Pure_Shunt.html

It may seem to be complex but in reality it isn't. You just need to have a G around to help you build it :wink:. What I'm getting at is that the Bryston amp probably has a high input sensitivity and you need an attenuation range of -20dB to -60dB or thereabouts. I'm sure the attenuator in Steve's Foreplay is probably in the 0dB to -30dB range. The attenuator I'm building will have to selectable ranges, -1dB to -35dB and -20dB to -60dB. I will be able to use it with a wide range of amps because of this. If you decide to build the Foreplay just let me know and I'll give you a hand. Once you build a kit you will be a DIY junkie like me and Will.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
The story so far....
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2004, 05:57 am »
Hey DeadFish,
    Are you searching for a nice inexpensive tube preamp ?? If so....check this out....
Philly Audio 7B. Its an excellent price and extra tubes to boot , seller is byteme. I have a Philly 7A , as does member Gordy. I've been very happy with its performance. :) [/list:u]
    Thought this might be of interest to you. :) [/list:u]

DeadFish

The story so far....
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2004, 02:44 am »
Thanks for the offer, G!
Hell, I dunno what I'm gonna do yet, 'cept hook up the old gear again until I can either make a definitive decision, or an 'act o' God' where something literally wants me to take it home.  Kinda like the Altecs getting here to begin with.

I've had some serious doubts about my DIY capabilities the last couple of evenings trying to turn some balanced cables back into single ended again.
I don't know whether to hate ratshack rca's, or my shakey hands more!
And the cables keep getting shorter...

And thanks for the tip on the Philly 7a, Lonewolf!  I don't really know if I am going separates or integrated, as I think that my Bryston stuff is gonna have to take a back seat to something else.

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts as I've slid into audionervosa meltdown...

DF