AV2's or AV3 sealed

jland67

AV2's or AV3 sealed
« on: 30 Aug 2004, 11:00 pm »
I am trying to decide between the AV2's or the AV3 sealed speakers. This setup will be mainly used for HT and a little music. I already have a Adire Tempest sub. I am thinking of building 3 AV2 or AV3S for the front and 2 AV1 for the rear. Are there any advantages/disadvantages  of going  with the av2 versus the AV3S? I wish i could build the the full tower AV3's, but i to deal with the WAF.

Thanks,

Jeremy

azryan

AV2's or AV3 sealed
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2004, 11:44 pm »
"-I wish i could build the the full tower AV3's, but i to deal with the WAF. -"

So you plan on building AV2's or sealed AV3's for mains because the floorstanding AV3 doesn't look good to your wife?

Seriously? I don't get that at all?

I hope you don't plan on putting the smaller AV2/3S in a bookshelf 'cuz that'll be so bad for imaging/soundstage but if you have to then I guess you can't have the normal AV3 floorstanders.

But you said it's 'looks' not 'I have to put them into a bookcase'.

So if it's just looks.... You'd be putting those other speakers on stands right?

IMO (and maybe others will disagree with me?) a nice, smooth, solid floor standing AV3 with full transmission line will look 'better' than the other two on stands and not take up any more space.

I bet you wife would think so too esp. if you picked a beautiful veneer to wrap those very narrow cabinets in.

You do have a great sub driver (I use 4 Tempests myself in my room -'cuz I 'm nuts) so you'd have the bottom end covered no matter which AV you choose so you'ree probably not able to make a 'wrong' choice here.

BUT....  maybe you'd want to listen to music in pure stereo and you might find it sounds better than w/ x-over and the sub in the mix so another reason to 'might as well' build the normal AV3's for mains at least.

A shielded sealed AV3 or ported AV2 looks great for a center chan. tipped horizontal.
(even better if you can keep it vertical though -and you'd probably need a smaller size so you can put it under your screen. IMO MUCH better than on top of a screen).

jland67

AV2's or AV3 sealed
« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2004, 02:58 pm »
Azryan, thanks for the info. I am going to build 2 AV3's, 1 AV3S and 2 AV1RS's. I spoke with Danny Ritchie and he was very helpful.  Azryan, i looked over the plans for the AV3's again and they are the same size as my current Polk speakers on stands.  

Jeremy