AV123 Onix Strata Mini Planar Mid-range Issues

audiophile03

AV123 Onix Strata Mini Planar Mid-range Issues
« on: 18 Jul 2014, 01:27 am »
The magnetic planar midrange started crackling in my left speaker this last weekend. I am using the same speaker cables I have been using for over a year with no issues. I haven't listened much to my Strata's in a while but when I did, there was no crackling or distortion. I also haven't really ever ran them at a higher volume. I tried another pair of speakers I had in the garage but the garage speakers had no distortion to them at all. I pulled the back panel off the speaker and checked the connections to the panel and it was secure. It would seem that the panel needs replacing. Anyone know where I may be able to find a replacement panel or get my existing panel repaired? I talked with the original designer of the panel briefly over the phone and he suggested I could source a panel from the Monsoon MM-700 or MM-1000 multimedia speaker system that sold years ago but I haven't really had much luck finding a set. Any suggestions/help is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jared

Here are a few pictures for reference:

Jonathon Janusz

Re: AV123 Onix Strata Mini Planar Mid-range Issues
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2014, 11:43 pm »
If Danny doesn't have any spares, try either Kevin (sandbagger here or AC) or Hugh (here on AC).  I thought I remembered one of them bought out the remaining inventory from AV123's clearance sale.

murphy11

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2014, 11:57 pm »
pm johnzm - he may have some or know where to get them

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2014, 02:46 am »
E-Bay has a pair at the moment.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2014, 01:31 pm »
Hi Jared,
 Good luck finding a replacement driver.
But if your search comes up empty, and your willing to try a little DIY repair, I may be able to shed some light on the subject.
Planar units of this type use some sort of plastic film to which is bonded an etched Aluminum conductor.
The two connection points of this diaphragm to the solder lugs or spade connectors is most likely the source of a bad connection causing the crackling you speak of. I have never seen this driver so I cant say for sure. I am sure they are produced in such a way that opening the metal casing will not be possible without some minor demolition of the casing.
I have no idea as the chance of a successful repair having never seen the unit, but if its shot already , what do you have to lose ?
If your interested in tackling this project you can email me pics of the back of the driver. I could give you a better idea on how to proceed.
Greg

audiophile03

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2014, 08:43 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input! I spoke with John and found out he still has some so I am in luck. Thanks again and have a great weekend!

weatherman1

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2014, 11:25 pm »
If dust has accumulated inside the mesh on the outside of the tweeter or upper midrange when speaker is electrically loaded the dust can cause discharges that are audible.  Try a gentle vacuuming.  Good luck, although I have never had this problem on mine but all electrically charged films (surfaces) attract dust.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2014, 12:31 am »
If dust has accumulated inside the mesh on the outside of the tweeter or upper midrange when speaker is electrically loaded the dust can cause discharges that are audible.  Try a gentle vacuuming.  Good luck, although I have never had this problem on mine but all electrically charged films (surfaces) attract dust.

Actually that is just a problem for electrostatic drivers.

audiomagnate

« Reply #8 on: 1 Aug 2014, 12:17 pm »
I just acquired a pair of these. Are the Monsoons drop in replacements?

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 1 Aug 2014, 04:33 pm »
I just acquired a pair of these. Are the Monsoons drop in replacements?

I know they made some panels for Monsoon, but I don't know for sure if they are drop in replacements.