7B SST different volumes

RonCH

7B SST different volumes
« on: 17 Jul 2014, 12:34 pm »
Hi,

In the past year I've had both of my 7B SSTs in for repair, and now they have different volumes ( gains ).  I swapped the amps around, so I'm sure that it's not a cabling or preamp problem.  As a workaround I'm running one amp at 1V gain and the other at 2V and now they are both producing roughly the same volume.  Hardly an ideal solution though.  I guess I have to send my amps back in.  Right?   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 7B SST different volumes
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:01 pm »
Hi,

In the past year I've had both of my 7B SSTs in for repair, and now they have different volumes ( gains ).  I swapped the amps around, so I'm sure that it's not a cabling or preamp problem.  As a workaround I'm running one amp at 1V gain and the other at 2V and now they are both producing roughly the same volume.  Hardly an ideal solution though.  I guess I have to send my amps back in.  Right?   

That sounds really strange Ron.  The loudest setting would be the 1Volt setting.  Email Mike and see what he thinks.  mpickett@bryston.com

james

RonCH

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:16 pm »
That sounds really strange Ron.  The loudest setting would be the 1Volt setting.  Email Mike and see what he thinks.  mpickett@bryston.com

james

Thanks for the quick reply.  With both amps 1V is the loudest. 

Using a iPhone app and a Left-Right volume test signal I get:

1V  Right  80.1dB
      Left    85.2dB

2V  Right  73.9dB
      Left    79.0dB

I'll email Mike.  Thanks.

Ron

RonCH

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2014, 01:17 pm »
And they still sound great.   :)