Headphones and Vinyl..

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Headphones and Vinyl..
« on: 15 Jul 2014, 11:03 pm »
So I just had a chance to try out my recently completed turntable and am listening to various Lp's via headphones.
I'm interested in how many here listen to vinyl this way and learn what setups you are using.

Currently my setup is A Denon DL-110 cart, Vincent preamp and Schiit Lyr. Headphones AKG 701 and Berydynamic T90's.

Everything is not dialed in yet but interested in getting more out of the grooves.
Can't say that the Lyr is my favorite at this point and the Vincent pre is a temporary guest in my setup.
Tube buffer?? worth the entry fee?

Please recommend cartridge, preamp, headamp and cans. Looking to upgrade to Some Lcd-2.2...... or T1's now that the prices are better.

Would also like to hear from anyone using the Cavalli Liquid Glass amp. Had a chance to try it at AXPONA and must say it's the best I have ever heard!
Thanks everyone!

joessportster

• Set & Single Driver Bliss
Re: Headphones and Vinyl..
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2014, 11:14 pm »
in a former life  :green:  back when I was working full time Vinyl was my preferred source. I was forced to sell everything off and go without music for over 1 year

I discovered headphones and have slowly put together a very good set up IMHO,  Headphones are the HIFIMan HE500, Dac is the centrance DacMini, and amp is ( http://ampsandsound.com/products/amps/kenzie-headphone-amp/ ) Kenzie Headphone amp (best I have heard) it reminds me of my previous set ups SET amps with horns

I find myself thinking about vinyl again and when I get settled I may look at it again as the centrance has an input for analog all I would need do is get a table and a phono pre (absolutely the best I had heard B-4 was the Hagerman Trumpet phono pre ) 

I also want to hear the Audeze LCD2.2, and if they are as good as stated that will bee my endgame with phones

will be interesting to see if anyone else chimes in with impressions on using vinyl with cans :thumb:

Bob2

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2014, 11:32 pm »
joessportster,

Thanks very much for your thoughts!

The Hagerman Trumpet phono pre, if I was looking at the one that you mentioned is a bit spendy at $7200. At least for me..

The LCD-2's and the Cavalli Liquid glass would come to about 4K. Another $400 or so for cable upgrade.  Much better for my budget but now I'm looking at Stax.. and everything I read is really positive might say the h#ll with the budget.

Thanks again!
Bob2

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2014, 04:10 am »
I think you need a more balanced approach.  When selecting phones, remember you won't have the digital EQ to tweak the response so try to select them accordingly.  You're running some kind of mystery table/arm with a DL110 and a Vincent phono pre, yet you're contemplating Stax? 

Nothing wrong with Stax it just seems like the front end is a little deficient in comparison.  That's sort of like running a regular CD player without a DAC into Soundlab electrostatics.  Those speakers will reveal everything in front of them.  The 110 is a decent budget cart, but.....

I don't know what you have or your level of experience/involvement.  Maybe it will take some time to sort things out.  For now your record playing system is ass backward.
neo

Bob2

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2014, 11:43 am »
neobop,

The intent of my original post is to find out more about what is being used and considered to be good and give it a try. I realize there are a lot of variables..
That's OK.

The mystery table is something I have been working on for awhile. Was designed from the start as a test bed. Will be easy to tryout tonearms, cartridges, motors, anything that I may want to change.

So yes, it needs some sorting out but it actually sounds decent considering... The cartridge does have some miles on it so it's in place just as a starting point. Same with the phono preamp.

I think I have read just about every post in the vinyl circle as well as most of the others to gain as much information as possible. Trying to even come up with a starting point is difficult. So many different things to consider.

As for experience I have been more focused on other areas of the hobby. Have most of that setup to my liking at least for now.

Involvement? How many people on this forum would buy $1000 worth of 6061 billet, spend a couple of months of spare time designing in cad and cnc machining something just for an experiment?

I do appreciate where you are coming from though. 
Any suggestions for a cartridge, phono preamp to help get the ball rolling?

I am thinking about picking up a Stax setup. Specifically STAX SRS-4170.

Thanks!
Bob

I am hoping this is not going out of bounds for the headphone circle. If it is mods please move to the appropriate spot. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2014, 01:17 pm by Bob2 »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2014, 03:45 pm »
Bob,
That's interesting.  I envisioned you slapping a 110 on some old table and buying a $5K headphone system.  I have to say that 4170 looks dynamite.  I'd buy that in a heartbeat over some dynamic or planer phones close to that price.

Of course I was referring to your experience with playing records.  I don't know where to begin either.  Most modern tonearms are medium mass and the majority of current carts are of suitable compliance to work with those arms.  The Audiomods arm with the VTA adjuster would be high on my list.  Everybody raves about this arm:
http://www.audiomods.co.uk/

The entire record player should be considered as a system.  Carts have to be matched with arms and phono stage and even tables to some extent.  For example, if you wanted to try a modded DL103, then you should get a heavier arm.  There's a FR64S on Agon right now that would be recommended, but not for high compliance carts.  If you want to get into vintage high cu MMs, then a low mass arm is appropriate.  Something like the Audiomods would be appropriate for current MMs like Clearaudio, AT, Ortofon etc.  and most popular MCs. 

One other thing.  I assume you have a heavy platter with a belt drive?  If the torque to mass ratio is too low, these can sound ponderous - lacking PRaT.  I'm not saying that is the case, but if it applies a Teres Verus motor should clear that up.
http://www.teresaudio.com/verus-motor.html

For specific questions maybe you should take it over to vinyl circle.   I didn't know about those Stax.  They look good.

neo

Bob2

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2014, 04:08 pm »
Neo,
thanks for the reply and links!
I'm probably going to start a thread on Vinyl circle about turntable setups ect..
I'll post a picture soon as I have a chance.
Tonearm I'm using now is a Thorens.
The platter is not high mass and is belt driven.
Platter has just under .001 in runout all around. Runs very true.
I'm pretty serious about the Stax as I can use it with my other gear also.

Bob.

Bob2

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2014, 12:19 am »
Here is a shot of the turntable. Might help to understand what I'm trying to do.
Was listening to Led Zeppelin2 and it sound surprisingly good through my T90's

joessportster

• Set & Single Driver Bliss
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2014, 12:30 am »
I was refering to the original Hagerman trumpet, the price you saw was for his new reference trumpet...........................a keen eye can get the original for around 15 to 2000 used on audiogon.....................I used a trumpet with several variations of table / arms all with superb results

a few examples, Vpi Aries 1 and 2, also tnt 3,4,5, and 5.5 hotrod, all with either the jmw 10.5 or the 12 arms, also the basis 1400 with rega 300, clearaudio champion level 2 with graham 2.2,  tnt 4, with the SME5 arm, maplenoll ariadne with air bearing arm,

cartridges were lyra beta, helikon, denon dl103, zyx airy 3................................

Bob2

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2014, 12:46 am »
 joessportster,
Thanks for that info! Should keep me busy for awhile!