Good phono cartridge for $400.00

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Good phono cartridge for $400.00
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jul 2014, 09:41 pm »
In my rig with 100 tube wpc, I feel like I need 50-55 db of gain with my 10x5. Running it at 55db and  sounds great. Would not go any higher.
Actually, 40 to 45db of gain is plenty. I ran a Sumiko Blue point for many years with 40db of gain and it was plenty loud.

Doc

WGH

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jul 2014, 09:43 pm »
I use a Goldring 1042G on a low mass ITO arm and it sounds fantastic, the lows and highs are perfectly balanced and ticks and pops are minimized. I consider it one of the best moving magnet cartridges available, unfortunately it is not as affordable as it once was.

The line contact Gyger S stylus on the 1042 requires an arm that is height adjustable, the stylus has a radical profile so the stylus rake angle has to be fine tuned or the cartridge will not sound it's best. An elliptical stylus will be more forgiving with setup.

WireNut

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jul 2014, 09:59 pm »

I'm not sure what your plans are, but if you're going to try different carts you should consider a MKII.   

Hi Neo,

I was thinking the same thing and plan on buying a Mark-2 asap.
I like my ACLE unit but the versatility of the Mark-2 is a plus to me, especially since I'm starting to try new carts.

Steve

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jul 2014, 10:03 pm »
Frequency Response   20Hz-20kHz3dB
Channel Balance   2dB @ 1kHz
Channel Separation   25dB @ 1kHz
Sensitivity   6.5mV1.5dB, 1kHz @ 5 cm/sec
Static Compliance   24mm/N lat., 16mm/N vert
Equivalent tip mass   0.45 mg
Vertical Tracking Angle   24
Stylus Radius   Gyger II
Stylus Type   Replaceable
Load Resistance   47,000 Ohm
Load Capacitance   150-200pF
Internal Inductance   570 mH
Internal Resistance   660 Ohm
Cartridge Weight   6.3g
Fixing Centre   0.5? (12.7mm)
Playing Weight   1.5-2.0g (1.7g nom.)

There is no spec for dynamic compliance, but the VTF would suggest cu in the neighborhood of 15 @ 10Hz. 

My experience is extremely limited with Goldring.  DaveyW has some comparative samples on his web site, but I'm not sure they are the latest versions.  I remember the 1042 sounding way better than the 1012, but honestly these samples might not be entirely representative.   I think all this series is discontinued.  Gyger styli are no longer available AFAIK. 
http://daveyw.edsstuff.org/vinyl/cartridges/mm-cartridges/

neo

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jul 2014, 10:21 pm »
There is no spec for dynamic compliance, but the VTF would suggest cu in the neighborhood of 15 @ 10Hz. 

My experience is extremely limited with Goldring.  DaveyW has some comparative samples on his web site, but I'm not sure they are the latest versions.  I remember the 1042 sounding way better than the 1012, but honestly these samples might not be entirely representative.   I think all this series is discontinued.  Gyger styli are no longer available AFAIK. 
http://daveyw.edsstuff.org/vinyl/cartridges/mm-cartridges/

neo

I have offered to Steve the 1012GX. I looked and the replacement stylus is still available. I also told him he needs to be satisfied with whatever he buys and should take his time. I like MC but that changes the game for him as he'll need a diff. phono stage or a step-up. Neo if you think that the Goldring will not make him happy or not be a good fit for his JVC then I would like you to say so. I offered it to him for $125 as I thought this was reasonable enough for him to try something diff. In the end I want what will suit his needs best. I don't care if it sells.

P-man

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jul 2014, 12:12 am »
P-man,
I found the cart at LpGear for $390.  No doubt a good deal, but I can't recommend something I'm unfamiliar with.  Maybe WGH knows the difference between the 1042 and the 1012.  I don't.  The specs look pretty much identical and that output is a whopping 6.5mV. 
It says max VTF is 2.0g, still I wouldn't expect compatibility problems. 

Maybe someone else is familiar with these or if Steve passes you shouldn't have a problem selling at that price.  Sorry I can't be of more help, but I don't know about that one.
neo

WGH

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jul 2014, 02:31 am »
Sorry, I don't know the difference between the 1042 and 1012. I think the body's are the same (don't quote me) and from what I gathered from reviews the 1042 does track and sound much better. The primary reason I posted was to inform the OP of the twitchy setup, not all tone arms are height adjustable. If not, the only other option are spacers and wedges in the head shell. My tone arm was not designed with height adjustment as one of it's features, although it can be done.

I think of the Goldrings as tall cartridges, the tail was dragging until I raised the arm.

Wayne

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jul 2014, 03:14 am »
If Steve doesn't want it. It won't be for sale

WireNut

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jul 2014, 09:41 am »
If Steve doesn't want it. It won't be for sale

I'll take it. Fortunately my tonearm is height adjustable and has screws in the front of the arm to pivot the headshell as well.

a.wayne

« Reply #29 on: 13 Jul 2014, 02:39 pm »
Try The DL110 , mc sound with no gain issues and save yourself 300 bucks ...