Considering 2 channel system, need to learn more about Salk options

SeaNile

Newbie here.  Can't believe it took me so long to find this site and this particular section.

I'm taking a break from my HT while the basement is finished.  I'm really tired of my iPhone and Bose sound dock.  Been a while since I had something good to listen to.  I went auditioning speakers these past few days and checked out as much as I could under 10K.  Wasn't impressed at all with the Dynaudio and B&W (805D, 804D).  I was really impressed with the Focal Electra 1000 Be2 but they are 10K and were being powered by a $16,000 Devialet amp.  I completely forgot about Salk and want to learn more about them. 

Definitely not looking to spend a ton, but also not as little as possible.  The system would be used 95% music and 5% with the TV.  Not interested in a 5.1 system or adding subs.  I'd like to have the 2 speakers on either side of the fireplace and I will not have a ton of room behind the speakers to the wall.

So, I'm looking for a way to listen to my iTune library and would buy a CD/DVD player for my 20-30 favorite albums.  Open to DAC and any other way to listen to high quality recordings.

From looking around it seems like the SS8 would be a good fit.  I have an XPA-5, Crest CC4000 and an iNuke6000dsp amp that I could use but am open to a Peachtree type purchase.

Thanks for the help!  I'm in the Philadelphia suburbs if anyone local has these speakers.

advanced101

I see you were posted in the Philly Audition Thread, great idea.  You might want to PM the members that you are interested in just in case they don't monitor this thread often.  Some users get an e-mail notification of PMs.

Also, here is the official Audition thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=88740.0
Jim should be able to give you a hand getting in touch with the Owners in case you are having trouble.

As far as the DAC, I would head over to www.computeraudiophile.com and do some research, there are a lot of options and that side of the source world runs pretty deep with information.

I use a Mac Mini running Pure Music directly to the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2.  The mac mini is nice because I can download high resolutions tracks and import them into Pure Music.  I can also play regular iTunes Music.  My DAC2 is also used as my pre-amp hooked directly into my amp.  I think it sounds great.  Audio by Van Alstine (AVA) also offers some DACs, so you can compare the two.  Have Fun!

JonnyFive

SeaNile, I saw you posted on AVS and I wanted to comment, but I'm not a member there.  I'm happy I can do so here.

The SS8s represent the best value in the Soundscape line.  You get better sensitivity than the 10/12 and a traditional box design (which is a plus, IMO) at a greatly reduced price.  You miss out on just the very lowest bass extension, but for the price/performance ratio this is absolutely worth it, in my opinion.  I've had them for about 6 months, and I've never wanted more bass than what they provide.  Even on movies with brutal LFE I'm blown away by the bass.

I think the biggest personal preference you need to decide is if you'd lean towards "accuracy" or "romance/warmth" in the presentation.  The SS8s are extremely accurate, which is exactly what a lot of people are after.  The Accuton is so detailed, and the RAAL gives an almost ethereal presentation of the high frequencies.  But the cost here is that nothing is glossed over.  Bad recording or equipment and you'll know it.     

The option to open the back and use some/no stuffing is a really great feature.  I prefer them with the back open and some stuffing, the soundstage is broader and voices are somehow more real this way.  The speaker really sounds bigger than it is.

The SS8s are at home cranking loud or playing softly.

All of this said, if you were after a warmer presentation at the expense of some micro-detail, you may consider the Exotica 3's or another design with a softer mid-woofer.  Another option for a warmer presentation but still utilizing the SS8s would be to pick up a hybrid tube amp or pre-pro as offered by Van Alstine, which is probably something I'll try down the road.   

Hope this helps! -Jon

SeaNile

Definitely feel like a total newbie here.  I'm really looking for a simple system to listen to my music and occasionally the TV through the speakers.  Not sure of the quality of recordings in my iTunes library which is why I said if a dedicated CD player is needed for 25-30 albums I'm OK with buying that as well.  Seems like these albums are available online in high quality so maybe I do not need a dedicated CD player.

Not to overly simplify things, but would the SS8 coupled to the Peachtree 220 be "enough?"  That that enough power for these speakers?  Wirelessly streaming music is not necessary, I'm OK with a hard connection if need be.

Thanks again!

Big Red Machine

Is this going to be many hours of extended listening or casual listening and not necessarily high rez?  If the later, look at a SCST and save some bucks.  I have no experience with Peachtree gear, but 220 and SS8 don't click with me.  Then again, I was using 500 watt monos so had the overhead with the 8's.  They are not power hogs by any stretch, but to get all of those drivers moving, it does help.  In the Exoticas the powered woofer section means a much smaller amp is needed but with a different delivery in sound, but these are also $4k more than 8's.  If you've got the coin then 8's or E3's, but if casual listening that may be overkill.

One lesson many learn the hard way is that once you have a pair of Salks you may get MORE serious about your listening and want TO GO to hi rez, and then you'll wish you made the investment in the speakers for higher levels of performance.  Another angle to consider.

jsalk

SeaNile -

Pondering your questions, I am wondering if the SS8's could be considered overkill in your application.  I have no doubt you would be extremely pleased with their performance.  But I'm wondering if a speaker like our Veracity ST's, at almost half the price, would also meet your needs.  Keep in mind that since we sell direct, our speakers cost about 1/2 of similar performing speakers sold at retail.  So the Veracity ST's would be in the $8000-9000 range if sold at retail, whereas the SS8's would be about $15,000-18,000 per pair (just to give you a rough idea of price/performance). 

The speakers you liked play down to an F3 (3db down point) of 33Hz.  The Veracity ST's are tuned to an F3 of 34Hz.  It is unlikely that you would hear any difference in terms of bass extension between these models.

Of course, if you have the budget for the SS8's and want the utmost in performance, I wouldn't want to talk you out of them.  I am merely suggesting that perhaps it would be worth investigating the Veracity ST's as a lower cost alternative that may meet your needs.

Also, keep in mind that if you did purchase Veracity ST's and then had second thoughts and wanted to move up to the SS8's, you could always trade in the ST's and use them until a pair of SS8's could be built.

Just a thought...

- Jim

R Swerdlow

SeaNile – You may have already located someone in the Philadelphia area for a listen.  If you care to wait, the Capital Audiofest is in Silver Spring, MD in late July.  http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/

It looks like Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy will share a room.  I wonder what speakers Jim plans on bringing?

For what it's worth, Big Red has had quite a lot of experience with Salk speakers, and his thoughts and ideas are worth paying attention to.

Austin08

SeaNile,

My house is locate 45min from central Philly. Shoot me pm if you want to set up an audition. I am available on weekend and some friday. My system is here.

SeaNile

I am constantly listening to music and the better it sounds the more often and louder I will listen.  Considering the WAF and 2 boys running around, I will not have hours every day for critical listening.   There will definitely be a lot of times that I am solo and will get to really turn it up and enjoy the sound.

The family room is 20x20 with 9' ceilings and the back of the room opens up to the kitchen.  Last thing I want to do is not have enough power or choose the wrong speakers. 

I have no doubt the Verasity ST would be a great choice but I am leaning towards the SS8 at this point.

SCompRacer

You're room is similar to mine. My room is 15 x 18 and open to the main level with 14' ceiling throughout. You run into room mode issues with any speaker. That requires experimenting with speaker placement to get the best representation of the speakers range. I also use GIK Tri Traps and room panels. My best case placement results in minus 10-15dB in the 25-35Hz range. While my SS8's are great above 35Hz, I added a pair of subs to shore up that lower range.

The lower frequency range importance also depends on what type of music you listen to. Take a look at a musical instrument chart. If you don't listen to anything that plays below the frequency that's significantly lower in dB due to room issues, you are golden. I'm all over the genre range. I listen to classical organ and even dubstep, thus I like to hear the lower frequencies. Most music I listen to the subs don't come in at all.

That said, I love my SS8's. They can play anything and sound great from low to high SPL's.
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2014, 08:09 pm by SCompRacer »

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
Once you hear them, you will want them. Many of us here have them. I can save you some money on a mint pair of SS8s

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126781.0

Nuance

The family room is 20x20 with 9' ceilings and the back of the room opens up to the kitchen.  Last thing I want to do is not have enough power or choose the wrong speakers. 

I have no doubt the Verasity ST would be a great choice but I am leaning towards the SS8 at this point.

Would you mind posting pictures of your room?  Dimensions are great, but pictures will give everyone a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Gzerro

I'd like to have the 2 speakers on either side of the fireplace and I will not have a ton of room behind the speakers to the wall.

Depending on what you mean by "not a ton of room", I would agree with Jim's recommendation and go with the Veracity STs or regular STs. The SS8s and Exotica designs are not going to shine placed too close to a wall.  You will get boomy bass and muddy lower-mids.

One of the TL designs like the STs or Veracity STs can be front ported, which will help somewhat in reducing the boominess you are going to get placed so close to the the wall.

No speaker is going to have great sounding bass with poor placement, so it just isn't worth spending the extra $$$ on the SS8s or Exoticas in my opinion.

Good luck on your decision!

Tom

SeaNile

Listened to the Ariel 7T today, impressive speaker!  Not sure if it is the right one for me.  Still thinking about it all.  So far of all the speakers I have listened to the Focal 1038 Be2 are in the lead.

Austin08

Listened to the Ariel 7T today, impressive speaker!  Not sure if it is the right one for me.  Still thinking about it all.  So far of all the speakers I have listened to the Focal 1038 Be2 are in the lead.

SeaNile,

The 1038s be2 are great speakers and I will not say Salk SS8s are better due to personal reference but one thing I can say for sure is that in lower region, the Salk SS8s is the superior one.

Cheeseboy

I like the size of your room.  20 x 20.  If you can pull the speakers out into the room and treat behind them and the first reflection points with absorption and diffusion you will be amazed how great they will sound. 

What upgrades to the crossovers does Jim offer?

Happy Hunting! 

jsalk

What upgrades to the crossovers does Jim offer?

Any upgrade you want.  We are a custom builder and we do not set any limits for our customers. We are building their speakers and they deserve to get virtually anything they want.

- Jim

Q3Di

SeaNile,

My house is locate 45min from central Philly. Shoot me pm if you want to set up an audition. I am available on weekend and some friday. My system is here.

Put me on a waitlist. I want to listen to SS8 too. I am on the other side of the river.
It would be great if Jim will bring SS8 and E3 to CAF

SeaNile

Going to listen to the SS8 tomorrow am.  Looking forward to getting one step closer to making a decision between the 3 speakers choice I have.

Magnatest

How did the SS8 listening session go?