2014 RMAF

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
Re: 2014 RMAF
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2014, 11:40 pm »
speaking of 3D imaging and dynamics,,,  The new, realistically sized, VR 55's have such a "you are there" presence.  They never waver,, never sweat, at any volume level. I lived with the dB99's for awhile and loved having bass control....  the dB's are kid stuff in comparison.  The 55's will slam you in the chest and shake you to your bones with speed, accuracy, low end wallop and balance.  My wonderful 5 Annies are stuck in mud, having spent three hours of solid listening to them, last night.  My 5's will go toe to toe with any speaker at this show, except the 55's  I made one HUGE mistake by visiting rm529 at RMAF, first.  The few times I did leave the VSA room I ran back, b/c everything else I heard pales in comparison.  The 55's are something VERY special.  I've heard every model VSA over the last 20yrs or so.  This is arguably, Albert's finest hour! 

jhsu

« Reply #21 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:25 pm »
Photos, please !  8)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:31 pm »
Agreed... They are some of the best speakers I've ever heard. With custom Accuton drivers, beryllium tweeter and active low-end, these things are awesome. The only speaker I've ever heard that I might actually like better than TAD. Plus the size isn't overwhelming and they look great. Quite an accomplishment...  :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #23 on: 11 Oct 2014, 04:23 pm »
What amps is Albert driving them with?

jhsu

« Reply #24 on: 11 Oct 2014, 04:37 pm »
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2014, 06:00 pm by jhsu »

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #25 on: 11 Oct 2014, 10:42 pm »
Constellation... also using emm labs and YFS server MB cables... will try to get pics uploaded... 

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #26 on: 11 Oct 2014, 10:55 pm »
A pic of the 55's w my iPhone

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #27 on: 11 Oct 2014, 10:57 pm »
That's not the pic!! Will try again shortly!!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 12 Oct 2014, 01:47 am »
Here's a photo of the VR55 room from Jack Bornstein (jab)

« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2014, 02:44 pm by es347 »

Delacroix

« Reply #29 on: 12 Oct 2014, 05:12 am »
Failed to check in on this forum earlier (sorry Jack), it's just hectic here but I did get to have two decent listening sessions with these over the last 24 hours. I don't think everything is perfect and am sure there's some break-in to occur yet as these sound a bit etched in places but, I am pretty confident these are better in almost all regards than my recently updated VR5 Annis.  Coherence is great and the resolution is just step up from the Annis. Sorry fellow owners, the bar has just been raised. 

Am not a huge fan of the grilles but the cabinet proportions and finish looked great, and these just fit a normal room, visually and sonically -- which you cannot say of many products on display here.  Had a friend here who had no experience of RMAF and he loved them --said it made him realize that sometimes there is just better sound out there than his Sonus Fabers, which he is seriously addicted to for his home audio.  Not sure I could ever spend that amount on new speakers but sadly, $50k is not unusual here this weekend.   I'll drop by tomorrow before I leave as I suspect these things are just warming up, like a lot of stuff here - it usually sounds best just as the show is ending.

htradtk

« Reply #30 on: 12 Oct 2014, 01:43 pm »
Nice looking speaker! Looks very similar to the VR-44's. What is the price on them?

Henry

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 12 Oct 2014, 02:50 pm »
Failed to check in on this forum earlier (sorry Jack), it's just hectic here but I did get to have two decent listening sessions with these over the last 24 hours. I don't think everything is perfect and am sure there's some break-in to occur yet as these sound a bit etched in places but, I am pretty confident these are better in almost all regards than my recently updated VR5 Annis.  Coherence is great and the resolution is just step up from the Annis. Sorry fellow owners, the bar has just been raised. 

Am not a huge fan of the grilles but the cabinet proportions and finish looked great, and these just fit a normal room, visually and sonically -- which you cannot say of many products on display here.  Had a friend here who had no experience of RMAF and he loved them --said it made him realize that sometimes there is just better sound out there than his Sonus Fabers, which he is seriously addicted to for his home audio.  Not sure I could ever spend that amount on new speakers but sadly, $50k is not unusual here this weekend.   I'll drop by tomorrow before I leave as I suspect these things are just warming up, like a lot of stuff here - it usually sounds best just as the show is ending.

You guys are killing me!  Stop it...now!  Patrick be sure and post your take on the E5s.  Green with envy here..

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #32 on: 12 Oct 2014, 02:55 pm »
the 55's share the same one-cabinet dimensions as the 44's.  List is $42k.  Friday I was glued to my seat, for several hours.  Tried picking them apart and couldn't.  Then the test,, to get out and visit Magico, Wilson, JMLabs, YG, Polymer and the rest.  Absolutely nothing at the show matched the speed, dynamics and accuracy of the 55's.  Though out of reach for many, the 55's are undervalued when compared to the others.. 
I should mention, the Endeavor room next to VSA, showing off the new E5's.  The room interaction there was horrible with the tall towers placed 6ft into the room or so, Friday.. On Saturday with the pair sitting closer to the rear wall, the bass energy was tamed to a large extent.  The 5's list for $30k and are a tremendous bang for the buck.  Electostatic quick, sweet midrange and bone rattling low end that did not fail.  You felt like the gas pedal had ya moving at 45 and you could have floored it without the speaker breaking down.  Very impressive.   

Delacroix

« Reply #33 on: 12 Oct 2014, 06:46 pm »
Sorry Gavin, didn't get a good enough listen to the Endeavors so it made forming an impression difficult. Rooms that kept me listening were those I could actually sit down in and hear music without my ears bleeding (sadly too few, again) or without having some expert attendee talking loudly over the music.  It was a bit quieter this year actually in terms of crowd but the volume levels kept me moving out of rooms for relief. Too many rooms though all sounded similar-- crash bang wallop and that's $50k folks.....it's exhausting after a few hours.  Heading back now, more when I get my notes together. Albert did tell me that they are offering generous trade up terms for any 5 Anni owners who have to move up to the 55s....I suggested he post here to give people hope...LOL.

martinr

« Reply #34 on: 12 Oct 2014, 07:12 pm »
I HAD A CHANCE TO HEAR THE 55's yesterday although at low levels.....superior sound...very engaging...midrange is excellent.  I AGREE WITH Delecroix they were slightly "etched" and probably needed break-in but I was mesmerized...when I win the lotto, I'll purchase!

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #35 on: 14 Oct 2014, 03:15 am »

Delacroix,, know you spent time in the VSA room so try what I did this evening.  Put your complimentary VS Test CD into your player and turn the volume up...  Try to recreate the speed, coherence and dynamics that you heard from the new 55's,,, with your updated Annie's.  Not possible,,, not even close.  Granted, electronics, cables etc...  but your speakers, your room.  The 55's are a different spkr,, top to bottom. 

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #36 on: 14 Oct 2014, 03:17 am »
btw, the VS test CD cuts were used quite a bit at RMAF.. Spending any time in the room would have provided at least 1/2 dozen tracks from this CD.  jack

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 14 Oct 2014, 01:57 pm »
I've seen two different prices for the 55s...$42,000 and $49,995 the latter on a couple of recent blogs.  Which is it?  Inquiring minds need to know...  :P

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #38 on: 14 Oct 2014, 03:16 pm »
I've seen two different prices for the 55s...$42,000 and $49,995 the latter on a couple of recent blogs.  Which is it?  Inquiring minds need to know...  :P

Both are correct... active bass vs passive.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 14 Oct 2014, 03:19 pm »
I disagree Dave.  They've decided not to offer a passive version.  The prices I quoted are for the aktive model...