Geek Source Server

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Geek Source Server
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2014, 07:20 pm »
At the introductory price it looks very promising.  Heck even at the possible MSRP it looks very promising.  I just wonder what a $13K Davinci Source server could offer that far above in price? A high end integrated DAC? Probably not. 

Wish they were more specific about possible delivery date.  The March 2015 expected delivery for their Geek Wave DAP is big buzz kill. 

santacore

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2014, 08:08 pm »
Yeah, the server looks interesting and the price is right, but with no target ship date, I don't feel like rolling the dice again.

firedog

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2014, 08:24 pm »
Looks very interesting. Sort of hitting the same market as the Auralic Aries. Will be interesting to hear if it really has especially good sound quality when it does hit the market.

marflao

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2014, 08:37 pm »
Yeah, the server looks interesting and the price is right, but with no target ship date, I don't feel like rolling the dice again.

Larry Ho mentioned on the Geek Forum that they plan to ship it March 2015.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2014, 05:56 pm »
Better add a few months to that.  Keep in mind that if you buy into crowdfunding, you are in the earliest stages of product development, as opposed to regular commercial companies that announce ship dates just a few months in advance, after prduct development, debugging, etc.  I bought into the Geek and now the Geek Pulse, which was supposed to ship this April - looks like a may get mine August/September.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2014, 08:57 am »
They seem to be trying to be less unrealistically optimistic on delivery times. But nine months is a long time with this type of product...

Sort of hitting the same market as the Auralic Aries.

I initially thought it was intended to go head to head with the Aries but then I saw that they've put internal hard drives into it. Which seems to suggest a different target market (?)

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2014, 03:27 pm »
Maybe since they've raised 820K  :o of their 38K goal, it'll come out real quick!

Hank

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2014, 04:47 pm »
 :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2014, 11:57 am »
Hank, I'm starting to think that those of us with an order in for the Pulse just need to keep pressing politely but persistently for delivery updates on their forum. I get the feeling that demands for attention now far exceed their ability to respond, so a little push/reminder here and there may help...

Hank

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2014, 06:25 pm »
Wouldn't do any good - I think they are burning the midnight oil getting circuit tweaks and final verification testing done.  There are several guys constantly pushing for photos of final enclosure design and getting zero replies to such a simple request.  I'll just remain patient.

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2014, 07:35 am »
Hank, you're probably right.

LH Labs have posted a new "lite" version of the music server without an internal hard drive (or SSD) for $669. This version seems more along the lines of the Auralic Aries that was mentioned earlier (would anyone familiar with the Aries be willing to comment?)

Geek Source Lite (scroll down about halfway, or search for "Geek Source Lite" in your browser)

Hank

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2014, 05:39 pm »
John, that was a stealth move on their part.  I'm tempted by this discless version, but there's no telling when it will actually ship and how many "perks" will be made available to double its price  :scratch:

Alan

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2014, 05:44 pm »
Well, that Source Lite is kinda tempting

Seriously, though, I think I've had enough of the Geek crowdfunded campaigns. I'm waiting on a Pulse, joined before all the options started coming out.

It seems (at least I hope) that their base products could be a bargain. Their prices on the upgrades seem very high, $150 for femto clocks? Doesn't Audio G-D offer that option for $30 or $40?

Must be their plan, get you hooked on the base model then get the $$$ with upgrades. I don't think they've even finished delivering all the Geek outs from their first campaign. A little overextended perhaps?

Good luck with it.

edit... iow I agree with Hank

Jon L

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2014, 06:29 pm »

Must be their plan, get you hooked on the base model then get the $$$ with upgrades. I don't think they've even finished delivering all the Geek outs from their first campaign. A little overextended perhaps?

:oops:

If one already owns a good USB DAC, how are you supposed to use the Geek Wave as source, via the small usb port on bottom of Wave? (i.e. have to use internal battery of Wave during playback).  Or does one need to buy the Geek station and use its usb port to pipe to outboard USB Dac? 

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2014, 03:29 am »
Their prices on the upgrades seem very high, $150 for femto clocks? Doesn't Audio G-D offer that option for $30 or $40?

From what I can see, GD-Audio has a low-jitter TCXO for $45, but it's not a Femto clock. FWIW Auralic's price for Femto clock and upgraded power supply is $600.

FWIW the Femto clock for the Source is only of benefit if using the SPDIF output to the DAC, with USB transfer it's the clock in the DAC that counts. So it's likely of no benefit to most people anyway.

Must be their plan, get you hooked on the base model then get the $$$ with upgrades.

Certainly seems to be the case with the Wave player... with the Source Lite though, not sure what other upgrades could be in the offing, it seems fairly complete... altho I thought that about the Wave when it came out too..

Yes, delivery time is going to be pretty long......

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2014, 03:30 am »
:oops:

If one already owns a good USB DAC, how are you supposed to use the Geek Wave as source, via the small usb port on bottom of Wave? (i.e. have to use internal battery of Wave during playback).  Or does one need to buy the Geek station and use its usb port to pipe to outboard USB Dac?

Hi Jon, I don't think you can use the Wave in that way. It's a self-contained player. The "Geek Source" is a music player of a different type, with digital out to a DAC (USB or SPDIF).

Hank

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jul 2014, 03:55 pm »
John wrote: 
with the Source Lite though, not sure what other upgrades could be in the offing, it seems fairly complete
  Well, lots of guys are complaining that the original should have included USB.  I'd bet it will be an expensive "perk".

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jul 2014, 04:05 pm »
Hi Hank, it always had USB - do you mean Ethernet? That was added at the $1M mark (no cost).

robcentola

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jul 2014, 12:46 pm »
 :scratch: