Haven't completely decided yet to be honest.  :scratch:

Danny Richie

Re: Just an FYI
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2014, 04:10 pm »
Wow, that sure is a nice set.

chip

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2014, 06:08 pm »
What do you have on your list for replacement ideas?

edoggrc51

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2014, 06:27 pm »
Wow, that sure is a nice set.
Thanks man!  :thumb:

What do you have on your list for replacement ideas?
Probably something from Seaton, JTR, or possibly even DIY. Not really all that sure yet, just know I'm getting that itch again.

bdp24

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2014, 12:39 am »
Hey Dogg, seein' as how you're in SoCal (or at least the speakers are), did you make it to T.H.E. Newport Show a couple of weeks ago? Seaton had a room blasting high spl demo's that were impressive in a Pro Sound kind of way. His stuff sounds more like sound reinforcement than music reproduction to me. Real forward and one-dimensional. But then I'm used to tubes and electrostatic speakers.

edoggrc51

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2014, 03:14 am »
Hey Dogg, seein' as how you're in SoCal (or at least the speakers are), did you make it to T.H.E. Newport Show a couple of weeks ago? Seaton had a room blasting high spl demo's that were impressive in a Pro Sound kind of way. His stuff sounds more like sound reinforcement than music reproduction to me. Real forward and one-dimensional. But then I'm used to tubes and electrostatic speakers.
I didn't get a chance to make it this year. I went last year and they had some neat stuff for sure. Anybow I was definitely sorry to have missed Mark Seaton. It would have been cool to finally meet him, plus I'm sure his DEMO's weren't too shabby either. Lol

99% of the time our theater room gets used for movie watching. It's pretty rare when we have any 2ch listening going on so I'd like to switch thing up to something more dynamic and "clear". Also the fact that I've had the LS's for a number of years now I'm just getting that itch to trying something new. :)

bdp24

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2014, 04:21 am »
I'm all for separate systems for theater and music. They call for different abilities and priorities of a sound system IMO. The Seaton system was certainly dynamic and punchy.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2014, 04:28 pm »
I was there.  The key words were "one dimensional".   Yes it played loud and that was it. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2014, 04:34 pm »
It's pretty rare when we have any 2ch listening going on so I'd like to switch thing up to something more dynamic and "clear"

The LS-6's are already really high up on that list.

There is a guy down in the Fort Worth area selling his Super-V's. They have 97db sensitivity and play flat to 20Hz. They they are about as extreme in the dynamics range as you can get and still have great clarity, imaging, and sound stage layering.

Skiman

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2014, 07:43 pm »
I'd like to switch thing up to something more dynamic and "clear". Also the fact that I've had the LS's for a number of years now I'm just getting that itch to trying something new. :)

If you can't position your speakers farther out into the room, make sure that whatever you replace them with is designed to perform best where your LS6 are.

Good luck finding something more 'dynamic' than the LS6s.  :roll: Are you sure they are sufficiently powered?

I have LS9s powered by a pair of Emotiva XPR-1 monoblocks, and believe me, lack of dynamics is not an issue.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2014, 08:02 pm »
That is a rockin good deal for the package.  I promise to talk it up to those I know looking right now in LA.  I wish you luck in finding something that will make you and the whole family happy. 

Those are my favorite finish. 

gab

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2014, 08:19 pm »

Good luck finding something more 'dynamic' than the LS6s.  :roll:

I'd have to concur - I have LS6s and dynamics is not an issue! LS9s are even better.

Maybe a Klipsch Jubilee or equiv with the K-402 horn? Ck out this thread on "dynamics and clarity":

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/150486-dynamics-what-have-you-done-to-approach-live-sound/?hl=jubilee

gab

bdp24

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2014, 12:57 am »
I was there.  The key words were "one dimensional".   Yes it played loud and that was it.

Sooo over-rated. Championed by those coming to home audio from automobile SPL competition, ay Cheeseboy?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2014, 02:44 am »
This thread sure took a left turn.....

I have to speak out a bit on this and hope I don't step on any toes.

Seaton's room at Newport Beach was a true 5.1 HT setup when 95+% of the show was 2 channel. No, it was not a great dedicated 2 channel setup - he never demoed in 2 channel to my knowledge. He used a (I believe) middle of the line Onkyo receiver with the pre outs feeding a very high power pro-line amplifier. The speakers were shoved up against the walls in order to maximize listening area and he used Audessey to minimize room issues.

The Demo pieces he used were almost entirely Hi-rez 5.1 sources.

It was not a shock that in that room, with the speakers where they were, and the source material used, that it was a fairly 2 Dimensional soundstage. I was actually surprised that the demo track from the Sheffield Drum Demo disc had pretty good imaging (in 2 dimensions).

This was a demo geared towards Home Theater, and in that regard (where SPL and a sense of unlimited headroom are high on the list of must haves), the Seaton room was very impressive.

If I had the bucks for a dedicated HT room........... :drool:  .... these would be on my short list for "Must" consideration.

bdp24

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jun 2014, 01:08 am »
Agreed. That's why I'm a firm believer in two separate systems, one for HT and casual listening (parties, family rooms, etc.), and one for dedicated music/2-channel/attentive listening. For those with no interest in HT, and without a family, a dedicated system is all that is needed. Tubes and one or two-listener speakers!