• TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: GedLee speakers
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2014, 12:53 am »
Yes, old news.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2014, 01:03 am »
It's not all that old. Only a few people have heard about Doc Geddes new speaker or new webpage URL.

http://gedlee.azurewebsites.net/Default.aspx

mamba315

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2014, 04:42 am »
I have an order in for the NA12.  May be a few months before delivery though.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2014, 12:37 pm »
I have an order in for the NA12.  May be a few months before delivery though.
Congrats on the purchase!  You are in for a real treat as long as you put the effort into setting them up properly. 

You can see my journey here.

Nick77

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2014, 12:50 pm »
12k for new 15" model.  :o

Man that's a lot for diy looking speaker. Must sound amazing......

Quiet Earth

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2014, 01:51 pm »
Don't forget that you need to buy 4 subwoofers to complete the package. So the total cost is probably more like 16K to 20K. That's is a lot of money for a DIY/direct sales kind of product.

I would like to hear a pair of GedLee speakers someday. No dealers in my area, and so far not at any of the shows that I have been to (yet).

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2014, 02:04 pm »
I don't know if the new ones are anything like the older ones but the gloss finish on the older ones made them look like any other hi-end commercial offering.    If so, I think Dr. Geddes needs to put a tiny bit more effort into advertising/marketing angle and get better photos.   

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2014, 02:41 pm »
Don't forget that you need to buy 4 subwoofers to complete the package. So the total cost is probably more like 16K to 20K. That's is a lot of money for a DIY/direct sales kind of product.

I would like to hear a pair of GedLee speakers someday. No dealers in my area, and so far not at any of the shows that I have been to (yet).

You don't need 4, three is enough. See my systems page. The integration of the subs is far more important than the quality of the subs themselves. Subs have come very far in quality. Even the midpriced SVS models are nice at ~$500 each.

The likelihood of hearing a GedLee speaker at a show is next to nil. He is not into that kind of marketing. At this time, he is happy with the volume he has apparently. Earl Geddes is the antithesis of 'audiophile.' Form should follow function. Don't change the form to appease the audience if changing the form compromises the function. If you don't like it, then go elsewhere. I've talked to him about the marketing numerous times, he is steadfast with his philosophy.

The slight tweakability of the original models has also been removed. The crossover is completely active. You can't use fancy Duelunds, etc...I personally like that, I'm sure plenty of others will not and will say that the speaker can only sound horrible because it uses an active crossover. Again, look elsewhere to satisfy your audiophile ideology.

These new models are designed to compete with other competitors offerings in at least the 4 figure range (they are 4 figures already!).

I've been looking into the NA12 myself, although, I'm incredibly satisfied with my Abbeys. You can pm me for pics and measurements if you like. I have plenty. Jason's saga above is also a nice read.

Best,

Anand.

sts9fan

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2014, 02:58 pm »
Yikes. I am not sure people willing to spend $12k will be happy with the level of service.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2014, 04:31 pm »

The likelihood of hearing a GedLee speaker at a show is next to nil. He is not into that kind of marketing. At this time, he is happy with the volume he has apparently. Earl Geddes is the antithesis of 'audiophile.' Form should follow function. Don't change the form to appease the audience if changing the form compromises the function. If you don't like it, then go elsewhere. I've talked to him about the marketing numerous times, he is steadfast with his philosophy.

That's too bad. It seems like a cult thing to me.

You can pm me for pics and measurements if you like. I have plenty. Jason's saga above is also a nice read.

Yeah, that's the thing. I think I have read enough about GedLee speakers and now I need to hear them or just stop reading about them. I should just let it go. I have a feeling that the speakers sound very aggressive and fatiguing due to their pro audio nature, but until I hear a pair for myself I will never know just how wrong I am. Being surprised and especially being proven wrong is part of the fun in this hobby. That's the kind of thing that we have to experience in person though,,, you know?.

Or "add to cart" and cross your fingers. Leap of faith for the scientist? Oh the irony!

Best of luck with the new models. :D

Bear

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2014, 06:50 pm »
What frustrates me about Geddes, and I have voiced this to him long ago in the forums, is that he could do a lot more for a lot less and take a load off his shoulders.  Years ago I suggested he get the wave guides tooled and manufactured which would significantly shorten his lead time and the cost of the waveguides, not to mention the labor he expends on building each speaker himself.  He told me he had tried and it couldn't be done.

Fast forward to what Erich at avs and diysound have done.

But if he is happy...

FWIW, I have never heard them(would love to) but many trusted ears here have and have had nothing but positive experiences.

kevinh

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 2014, 01:20 am »
That's too bad. It seems like a cult thing to me.

Best of luck with the new models. :D

Well Earl is a very good scientist who understands what is required to produce music in homes far more than most boutique designers.

The Horns and designs are very well engineered. The value is way beyond the price charged. If a boutique manf like
Magico were capable of making a speaker this good they would charge six figures for it.

But to each there own.

BTW the 3 subs to go with the NS 15's would run you 2,400.

Great Value IMO.

ctviggen

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jul 2014, 03:37 pm »
To me, these seem incredibly expensive for something you've never heard.  Oh the other hand, Soundscapes by Salks for the 12 inch version are even more, and you don't get to hear those, either. 

I think one other problem for the Gedlee speakers is that they don't look like much.  They look quite simple in comparison to, say, the Soundscapes.  If you were to ask anyone to compare the NS15s versus the Soundscape 12s simply by appearance, I think pretty much anyone would prefer the Soundscapes.  As audiophiles, we know appearance doesn't matter much, but it's hard for even me -- as a pseudo-audiophile -- to think I'd buy the Gedlee speakers over the Soundscapes.  The Soundscapes just seem more substantial for about the same cost.

I agree with his philosophy of multiple subs, though. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2014, 11:05 pm »
I live within 100 miles but haven't visited (don't want to waste his time or be tempted). Believe in his multiple sub idea but have a hard time investing (for me big money) in a product that depends on one individual to design, build, and service.