which exhaust material sounds the best?

Rclark

which exhaust material sounds the best?
« on: 10 Jun 2014, 05:18 am »

So I've been really enjoying my bike, and have run numerous long distance road trips on some spectacular roads already. Have just put on new Pirelli Sport Demon tires and have never before enjoyed such a jack of all trades such as this bike. Does it all, super agile, quick, hauls gear just fine, has a nice torquey powerband, I love it.

About to order a full exhaust system by Muzzy. Choices are aluminum, stainless steel, carbon fiber, and titanium. Price range goes up with that list having titanium the most expensive.

Those of you who have run a lot of aftermarket exhausts, do these materials change the note to any degree?

Who knows, maybe aluminum is both the cheapest and best sounding option. Leaning carbon fiber though, just as it would be cool looking.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: which exhaust material sounds the best?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2014, 09:39 am »
That's a tough one to answer but I think it's mostly about the internal construction and how well the packing stays in place.
My titanium Wileyco canister is louder then my stainless Wileyco but there's no reason why it should be. 

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2014, 09:48 am »
Titanium is thinner?

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2014, 11:59 am »
Over the course of owning 32 bikes, and racing a number of them (dated mind you, I had bikes from 1991 till 2005) I would agree with Mr Ford that it is more related to what's inside the can vs what the can is made of.

Muzzy builds a great pipe, and I'd let budget dictate what can you settle on.  There may be slight variance between can material, but the $ will vastly outweigh the perceived noise difference for you (inside your helmet at speed).

I always liked a stainless pipe with aluminum can myself.  Stainless pipe offered good durability.  Aluminum can was lightweight on a budget.

The rest of the $ went to tires and brakes!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2014, 12:15 pm »

So I've been really enjoying my bike, and have run numerous long distance road trips on some spectacular roads already. Have just put on new Pirelli Sport Demon tires and have never before enjoyed such a jack of all trades such as this bike. Does it all, super agile, quick, hauls gear just fine, has a nice torquey powerband, I love it.

About to order a full exhaust system by Muzzy. Choices are aluminum, stainless steel, carbon fiber, and titanium. Price range goes up with that list having titanium the most expensive.

Those of you who have run a lot of aftermarket exhausts, do these materials change the note to any degree?

Who knows, maybe aluminum is both the cheapest and best sounding option. Leaning carbon fiber though, just as it would be cool looking.
If you plan to keep it, go with stainless and be done with it.  The material will not change the tone.  Only the construction will change the tone.  Also stainless has fairly good heat disipation which is important on a motorcycle.  Of course Inconel is the best but you don't want to pay for that.  I promise you. 

srb

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2014, 03:48 pm »
The material will not change the tone.  Only the construction will change the tone.

While I agree that the internal construction would have the major influence on the tone, I believe there would be a much more subtle, but still discernible change of tone with different materials, as there would be with any vibrating, resonating object.

Steve

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2014, 03:53 pm »
While I agree that the internal construction would have the major influence on the tone, I believe there would be a much more subtle, but still discernible change of tone with different materials, as there would be with any vibrating, resonating object.

Steve
Obviously, but not the major factor here for what he's looking for.  I'd also put money on it that the differences in material couldn't be heard when built the same way.  I'm around this stuff all day every day.

*Scotty*

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2014, 06:07 pm »
Reading the material from Muzzy it appears that there are two choices of pipe material, Ti and Stainless tubing. The canister material is where the choices Rclark listed show up. This makes sense because the exhaust temperature is around 1600 degrees where it exits the head. Neither aluminum nor carbon fiber resin will take these kind of temperatures.
 The canister material may have have a minor impact on the sound, perhaps carbon fiber would be quieter as it is non resonant compared to the other materials. He might ask Muzzy if there is any difference between the SPL output of the different exhaust pipe materials. I would chose the stainless steel headers and canister combination. It might be the cheapest to replace if the bike fell on its side. It would be nice if the differences in weight between different tubing and canister options was mentioned.
Scotty

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2014, 08:05 pm »

http://www.orientexpress.com/c-88-exhaust.aspx

Obviously, but not the major factor here for what he's looking for.  I'd also put money on it that the differences in material couldn't be heard when built the same way.  I'm around this stuff all day every day.

no doubt. Jason I just got off the phone with Muzzy and they said that the carbon fiber exhaust is a quality piece and has an inner sleeve of metal. My application is about 60 HP at the tire when all is said and done (getting jet kit, ignition advanced too) so not a huge amount of power as far as generating high temps, wouldn't think.

Are you referring to the fact that CF won't take any heat?

Right now is a toss up between stainless and carbon fiber for looks, although titanium is mildly intriguing. Not worried about dropping the bike, never happen. My new Pirelli's stick like glue and I can feel what's happening with the bike very well.

aluminum seems to be the budget choice so that's out. Anecdotally, reading that carbon fiber has the best exhaust note.

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2014, 08:52 pm »
Another thing is, this bike has absorbed all my audio budget. Have bought tons of riding gear, all nice stuff, spent as much so far as I have on the bike itself, the bike of course, and money spent on lots of trips.

The only thing I haven't bought a lot of is gas  :thumb:

Almost finished with this project, have basically everytbing I need, getting the major servicing done concurrently with exhaust install and all that goes with it. Then, done. Have bike, all necessary gear for any weather, intercom, bags, etc, etc etc.

Back to audio stuff after that!

Oh, I am buying a Plastidip system as well, and will be refinjshing the entire bike. I plan to use the plastidip on my audio system as well, going to dip my speakers (not the maggies) some outrageous color, as well as some other pieces, maybe my tv as well.

I should do a alittle review of my Sena SMH10R intercom system here. Very audio related.

PRELUDE

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2014, 09:29 pm »
I would recommend only one name REMUS. They build in Austria in their state of the art facility and most likely it would be the last exhaust that you bought.
Here is the link:
Click on the pictures to hear the sounds and click on [2013 bike catalog] at the top on right side to see the pictures and info.

http://www.remususa.com/epages/remus.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/remus/Categories/Motorcycles

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2014, 10:04 pm »
Lot of nice choices, and if I wanted to save money, there is a Vance and Hines 2 into 1 full system for my bike at the abnormally low price of $300.

The reason I choose Muzzy is because Muzzy and Kawasaki are very synergistic company's and have decades of racing history together. I really can't choose another brand.

Although, if Yoshimura made a brand new warrantied exhaust for my bike I would seriously have choice paralysis.

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2014, 09:01 pm »
On a side note that only the guys who ride will care about (ordered the carbon fiber, btw), I will also be adding  suspension upgrades to the front fork, perhaps RaceTech, and got off the phone earlier with a nice guy at Works Performance who makes a very reasonably priced, fully adjustable high end piece that is tuned for my needs.

Right now I am testing out a best of the best bias ply tire, and they are phenomenal, then next up will be some Michelin radials.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jun 2014, 12:28 am »
Wasn't there a company, years back, that made mufflers that has screw on "ends" that would change the exhaust back pressure and sound "note"?
I thought it was for bikes, but I vaguely recall them on cars too. Maybe late 80's, early 90's?
Are they still around?  :scratch:

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2014, 12:35 am »
Saw them around some in the 90's in Canada.  More on sporty Harley's up here it seems. 

Super trap.  They are still around too. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2014, 12:42 am »
"Super Trap", yes! That's the name.  :thumb:
That was long enough ago that I can't recall what types of bikes I saw them on. The ol memory isn't that great.  :roll:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2014, 12:51 am »
Michelin Pilot Roads have given great service for the past 70,000 miles on various bikes here.
Great grip and mileage, no problems in the rain. 

ErikMi

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jun 2014, 02:14 am »
Racetech does good work on front forks.. I'm not a big fan of Works shocks though. I'd look at a Ohlins, HyperPro, Penske, Wilbers..

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2014, 03:18 am »
Racetech does good work on front forks.. I'm not a big fan of Works shocks though. I'd look at a Ohlins, HyperPro, Penske, Wilbers..

Really? Why? Guy will hand build a shock for my weight and performance parameters, with reservoir, under $500. Same, but adjustable, $550, raced out (don't need on this bike), under $800. Going with option 2.

Ohlins is like $1500, my bike is for street riding, not race performance.

But then again, what do I know? Care to tell more?

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2014, 03:21 am »
Michelin Pilot Roads have given great service for the past 70,000 miles on various bikes here.
Great grip and mileage, no problems in the rain.

Doing the Pilot Street, made for smaller sportbikes like mine, the 300r, 250r, etc.

Loving the Sport Demon's, the Avon Roadriders the bike came with were very nice too, but worn out.