Pass Labs XP-15 Review - Video

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Pass Labs XP-15 Review - Video
« on: 3 Jun 2014, 03:52 pm »
Alright New Record Day fans, I just completed the review of the XP-15 and its live on the site. For those interested, the link is below the blurb. Spoiler Alert: The XP-15 is all kinds of awesome.

"I wish I could tell you that getting into the Pass Labs XP-15 lead to “diminishing returns” when comparing it to my Parasound JC3 but that would make me a liar. The truth is the Pass is more refined and clear sounding from top to bottom. Standout performance in Bass and Dynamics made this Phono Preamplifier one of the most exciting pieces I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Also worth noting was the incredible black backgrounds and quiet operation that kept me coming back for more. You will have a hard time topping this amazing piece of equipment and it easily deserved the “Ron’s Pick” Award."

http://www.newrecordday.com/passlabsxp-15/

kingdeezie

Re: Pass Labs XP-15 Review - Video
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2014, 07:31 pm »
When I got back into analog last year, and was deciding to peice together what equipment to get, I picked up a Pass Labs XP-15 as my phono preamplifier.

I got a good offer from Reno HiFi for a demo peice, and so far have been very happy with the unit. I use it with a Dynavector 17d3 in my system, and get sufficient gain, and have to agree with everything you said about its performance.

I would recommend it to anyone looking for a solid state unit in the price range.  :thumb:

WireNut

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2014, 11:33 pm »
For nearly $4000 it should sound good, and better the  JC3. I myself can't drop 4K on anything audio related. Gotta go the DIY route or used market.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2014, 12:27 pm »
Ron,
The one on the bottom with music was much better, except for the silence/noise thing at the beginning.   Even if you speak like a teenager and appeal to the novice (nothing wrong with that), you should consider how you say things.  If you're making money doing this, maybe you should get a script writer.  It's not always what you say that matters, it's how you say it.

The video up top was stupid.  Sorry for being blunt.  I turned it off after 4 or 5 minutes.  Hope you didn't trash the JC3, that would be ill-advised. 
The part I watched was like being shown a preamp by someone who is practically clueless.  The back panel dip switches are too small?  I suppose Pass should put dozens of big toggle switches there with LED indicators to eliminate confusion.  At least they weren't on the bottom, that would really be inconvenient.  Then you took the top off and displayed your ignorance further.  You talked about nicely laid out, well soldered, and the caps looked even in height?  Apparently you missed the on-board torridal transformer, and the type of amplification devices.  Then you said it's the best you've seen, which is a grand total of 2 ?  The crappy ones don't count.  Once again, it's not what you say, it's how you say it.  Instead of drawing attention to your inexperience, try a different approach.
Ron's Pick Award, seriously?
neo

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2014, 01:05 pm »
Ron,
The one on the bottom with music was much better, except for the silence/noise thing at the beginning.   Even if you speak like a teenager and appeal to the novice (nothing wrong with that), you should consider how you say things.  If you're making money doing this, maybe you should get a script writer.  It's not always what you say that matters, it's how you say it.

The video up top was stupid.  Sorry for being blunt.  I turned it off after 4 or 5 minutes.  Hope you didn't trash the JC3, that would be ill-advised. 
The part I watched was like being shown a preamp by someone who is practically clueless.  The back panel dip switches are too small?  I suppose Pass should put dozens of big toggle switches there with LED indicators to eliminate confusion.  At least they weren't on the bottom, that would really be inconvenient.  Then you took the top off and displayed your ignorance further.  You talked about nicely laid out, well soldered, and the caps looked even in height?  Apparently you missed the on-board torridal transformer, and the type of amplification devices.  Then you said it's the best you've seen, which is a grand total of 2 ?  The crappy ones don't count.  Once again, it's not what you say, it's how you say it.  Instead of drawing attention to your inexperience, try a different approach.
Ron's Pick Award, seriously?
neo

Thanks for the feedback Neo! I appreciate the criticism.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2014, 07:28 pm »
Ron,
I just reread my post and it seems overly harsh.  Maybe I should take my own advice about wording.  I want to let you know, the review with music was much better than previous efforts IMO.  Maybe it would help to figure out what to say before the camera starts.  The enthusiasm is good, don't lose that, but you can't be a novice and an expert at the same time.  In the other video when you show the inside of the piece you could just mention how nicely it's laid out and be done with that.  Don't dwell on something you don't understand and no one will know. 

The XP-25 has a separate power supply which is in another box and that's why you wouldn't see a transformer on its main board.  A toroidal transformer is donut shaped and leaks less electromagnet field, EMI to components near it.  It's better than a regular one in a single box unit. 
neo 

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2014, 07:40 pm »
Ron,
I just reread my post and it seems overly harsh.  Maybe I should take my own advice about wording.  I want to let you know, the review with music was much better than previous efforts IMO.  Maybe it would help to figure out what to say before the camera starts.  The enthusiasm is good, don't lose that, but you can't be a novice and an expert at the same time.  In the other video when you show the inside of the piece you could just mention how nicely it's laid out and be done with that.  Don't dwell on something you don't understand and no one will know. 

The XP-25 has a separate power supply which is in another box and that's why you wouldn't see a transformer on its main board.  A toroidal transformer is donut shaped and leaks less electromagnet field, EMI to components near it.  It's better than a regular one in a single box unit. 
neo

Not offended at all man!

I meant what I said, I appreciate this kind of feedback as it gives me a chance to check the pulse of what people want in reviews. Thanks man. Truly.

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2014, 09:31 pm »
Good effort, but must agree with neobop. Some parts are painful to listen to. You expound a little too much on things like the face plate and switches, which we (the audience) can easily discern. This brings up a good point : Your audience. Anyone buying a $4000 phono preamp (let alone a high-end "boutique" brand like Pass) are going to know the basics about what they're getting into. Pretty sure anyone into the hobby enough to seek out a Pass product, even if they'd a beginner, will do some basic research before throwing $4000 at something like this.....and I'm assuming your review is to help the audience decide whether to seek out and possibly purchase said item.