What are people here using for a center channel speaker?

boe

I realize ideally you'd have matching speakers but I can't imagine I'm the only one facing the dilemma of what center to get being that the visiun is too heavy to mount and too big to have lying in my living room.   The LCR didn't exactly get rave reviews although it is certainly more wall mountable than the Visiun.  What center channel speaker did you end up with?

kernelbob

Re: What are people here using for a center channel speaker?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2014, 12:14 am »
What are you using for the main front left and front right speaker?

boe

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2014, 01:11 am »
VR 4SR MKII with the upgrade.

boe

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2014, 02:18 pm »
In case it matters, I'll be looking to mount my center over my TV.

boe

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2014, 05:25 pm »
Does anyone have center speakers or am I the only person who watches movies?

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2014, 05:49 pm »
I use a RAW HT2C Center Speaker with the Aurum Cantus Ribbon, bought used for $365. The HT2C is rear ported so you would need at least a 12" shelf over the TV. If you are looking to stay in the family I am not a fan of the Von Schweikert LCR-15, it has a boxy sound, you could do better.

Wayne

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2014, 05:59 pm »
I use the Aperion C5.  Its a sealed unit which makes placement easy.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus-home-theater-speakers/intimus-5c-center-channel-speaker

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2014, 06:46 pm »
I don't own VSA speakers, but I suppose that doesn't matter for your question. After cycling through a zillion center channel speakers and being unimpressed with all of them, I came to the conclusion that a typical MTM center channel was not sufficient for a really good HT system. Most of the sound and all of the dialogue comes through the center channel, so it should be a kick ass center channel. I ended up building one:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2014, 08:21 pm »
boe,

My center channel is the Paradigm Reference CC570 v.3. It is rear ported and needs room behind if you wish to avoid a boxy sound. There isn't much room behind mine.  :(  The left and right speakers are Paradigm as well. My CC is just barely adequate for my needs. I expect to replace it before too terribly long.

MichiganMike

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2014, 09:04 pm »
I use a VR 4JR as a center channel.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2014, 02:52 am »
A ML Cinema...best of the bunch IMO...Aerius i R and L...no need to change a thing...sweet!

boe

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2014, 02:57 am »
Thanks - I'm glad people are sharing.   I have the Cinema and the Stage.   I like the fact that both are light and have mounting bars.   They don't seem to match my old VS SRs in the bedroom or my new VS SRs in the living room.   While they are fine speakers and I'm no professional reviewer but they seem a little shallow in the midrange.  I have them set to be "louder" than my VS according to audyssey but I think as the sound gets louder on the VS, I don't think the ML climb as fast.  They do a decent job with sound off center which the VS LCRs are not known for currently.  I have not yet heard the Visiun and I'm sure it is great - unfortunately it is not well suited for mounting - particularly above my TV.     If I raised my TV to sit on top of my cabinet it wouldn't look as nice and I'd have to look up to watch TV. 

Woot

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2014, 05:14 am »
I use a LCR 15 with my VR-5 SE's and am happy with the set up.

stevem1

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jul 2014, 03:16 am »
I use the LCR35 and it does not sound boxy. Matches well with the 3.5's and the 4 TS350's.

steve f

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jul 2014, 03:37 am »
Center channel? We don't need no stinkin' center channel.   :green:  Sorry just a stereo only guy. Never met a HT system that wasn't irritating. Of course YMMV.

Holli82

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jul 2014, 04:19 am »
I have combo 2 ch and HT.  I have NO separate center channel.  I had my AV guy do a phantom center channel with my existing speakers.  It works for me since I rarely watch movies. 

boe

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jul 2014, 12:10 pm »
I don't own VSA speakers, but I suppose that doesn't matter for your question. After cycling through a zillion center channel speakers and being unimpressed with all of them, I came to the conclusion that a typical MTM center channel was not sufficient for a really good HT system. Most of the sound and all of the dialogue comes through the center channel, so it should be a kick ass center channel. I ended up building one:

I'm having a bit of that issue myself.   I'm trying to find one I can mount on the wall (over my TV) that really does off center well but also matches my VS fronts.