Looking for an active crossover.

eslbarney

« on: 24 Aug 2004, 10:09 am »
I'm planning on splitting the bass from my speakers (electrostatics) into  a pair of separate dipole subwoofers and driving the subs with a quality SS amp.
Can anyone recommend a good quality active crossover, preferably located in Aus. that is up to the job. I'm looking for something well built, perhaps even a kit, that gives me a choice of frequency crossover points but itsn't ridiculously overpriced.
Cheers.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2004, 01:01 pm »
marchand is fantastic, especially for the price.  many different types to choose from.  also kits are awailable, if yure wanting to save $$$.  but, not "down under", you'll have to get 'em from the usa...

http://marchandelec.com/

doug s.

EchiDna

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2004, 03:32 pm »
ESP (rod elliot) has a few different options in kit form available. do a google for his webpage and you will find em there.... based in NSW somewhere...

GL!

eslbarney

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2004, 09:26 pm »
Thanks, I'll have a look at these. Also consider second hand if anyone has anything interesting.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Looking for an active crossover.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2004, 09:47 pm »
Quote from: eslbarney
...preferably located in Aus. that...

Austin, TX?  Austria?

:wink:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2004, 09:50 pm »
Quote from: jeffreybehr

Austin, TX?  Austria?

yure kidding, right?  anyone from texas or austria say "cheers" at the end of a letter?   :o

doug s.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2004, 09:59 pm »
Quote from: doug s.

Austin, TX?  Austria?

yure kidding, right?  anyone from texas or austria say "cheers" at the end of a letter?   :o

doug s.

Just a little cute (I hope) comment to hilite how noncommunicative some undefined abbreviations can be.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2004, 10:13 pm »
barney, you might look for a Dalquist DQLP-1.  It's long discontinued, but you might find one inexpensively enough.

As I recall, the low-pass section is 2nd order and has independent crossover-frequency and bass-boost controls per channel.  The hi-pass section is passive, with 2  posts upon which one solders capacitors*.

Of course, one must know the input impedance of the amp and the formula to calculate crossover frequency**.

Some interesting comments by Mike Elliott of Conterpoint/Alta Vista are here http://www.altavistaaudio.com/caps.html.

* This would be a great coupling-capacitor test rig.  Personally, I'd include auricaps, TRT Dynamicaps, NorthCreek Zens/Harmonies, and MultiCap RTXs in my first test.  All but North Creek's can be purchased from Michael Percy, here http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf, and N-C's here [/url]http://www.northcreekmusic.com/CrossoverComponents.html[url].

** Formula is F = 159155/RC, where F = -3dB filter point in Hertz, R = resistance in Ohms, and C = capacitance in microFarads.

EchiDna

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2004, 03:04 am »
Quote from: doug s.

Austin, TX?  Austria?

doug s.

Just a little cute (I hope) comment to hilite how noncommunicative some undefined abbreviations can be.

You might also note that you are posting in a regional circle... and that region is Australia!  :roll:

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2004, 06:53 am »
"You might also note that you are posting in a regional circle... and that region is Australia! "

Well, some of you may be seeing this in a regional circle, but I'm not.  I saw it as part of new messages since my last visit.  I imagine lots of us see these kinds of things that way.   :)

I hope my last post was useful.

andyr

« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2004, 07:17 am »
I'm planning on splitting the bass from my speakers (electrostatics) into  a pair of separate dipole subwoofers and driving the subs with a quality SS amp.
Can anyone recommend a good quality active crossover, preferably located in Aus. that is up to the job. I'm looking for something well built, perhaps even a kit, that gives me a choice of frequency crossover points but itsn't ridiculously overpriced.
Cheers.
I second the other recommendation for that good Aussie, Rod Elliott (www.sound.au.com) but if you want dipole subs to match well with your 'statics (same for me with my Maggies) then perhaps you should go and look at Siegfried Linkwitz's site.  He's got the plans for the dipole subs as well as PCBs for the crossover.  BTW, my understanding - gained from the Linkwitz site - is that dipole subs need LF EQ ... again, Siegfreid has the PCB for this too.

However, if by "choice of frequency crossover points" you mean the ability to select different crossovers on the fly then no, the Rod Elliott or SL PCBs do not give you this.  Marchand possibly might but I suggest you would be better to buy a digital crossover like the Aussie made (Sydney-based) DEQX unit.  These are tremendously flexible and they will sell fellow Aussies a "refurbished/demo" unit for a lot less than list.

Regards,

Andy

eslbarney

« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2004, 09:46 am »
Thanks for the responses people.
The dahlquist sounds interesting Jefferey, but I am struggling to find anything at the AltaVista Link.
Will have a look at the Australian unit you mentioned Andy. It is the Linkwitz dipole I plan to build.
Thanks.