Ifi usb cable and accessories, any though?

Austin08

Ifi usb cable and accessories, any though?
« on: 24 May 2014, 03:03 am »
Hello,

While in search for my next usb cable, I came across this usbcable and powersupply on musicdirect website. I think they are very interesting.

Are they any good or just snake oil?
I would like to hear your thoughts about them.

Thanks,
Austin

ltr317

Re: Ifi usb cable and accessories, any though?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2014, 04:04 am »
Hello,

While in search for my next usb cable, I came across this usbcable and powersupply on musicdirect website. I think they are very interesting.

Thanks,
Austin

Hi Austin,

I'm reviewing a bunch of iFi-audio devices right now, including the two you mentioned.  I just inserted the mercury cable with the iDAC today, and will compare it to another USB cable I own. 

Cheers,
Paul

Austin08

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2014, 04:11 am »
Hi Austin,

I'm reviewing a bunch of iFi-audio devices right now, including the two you mentioned.  I just inserted the mercury cable with the iDAC today, and will compare it to another USB cable I own. 

Cheers,
Paul

Paul,

Great!!!! Please share your though about them when you have time.

Thanks,
Austin

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2014, 02:06 pm »
The iFi stuff is not snake oil, but performance will be system dependent.  USB cables definately make a difference, so I suggest trying as many as you can.  But every USB DAC and computer/server combination is different in how it responds to cable changes, so be sure to try things with the ability to return them.
I am very skeptical of adding additional connections to the USB path: this is a high speed data connection, and the most loss occurs where you have a plug in connection.  I like to avoid multiple plug in connections for this reason, just running a single USB cable from my server to my DAC.  But, my server and DAC are pretty well optimized, with a separately powered (battery supply to separately filtered and discretely regulated rail) SOtM card, and a fully isolated USB interface in my DAC.
If you are you using a standard USB output from a mother board, things like the iFi USB power might be an advantage, you have to try and see.

Austin08

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2014, 02:36 pm »
The iFi stuff is not snake oil, but performance will be system dependent.  USB cables definately make a difference, so I suggest trying as many as you can.  But every USB DAC and computer/server combination is different in how it responds to cable changes, so be sure to try things with the ability to return them.
I am very skeptical of adding additional connections to the USB path: this is a high speed data connection, and the most loss occurs where you have a plug in connection.  I like to avoid multiple plug in connections for this reason, just running a single USB cable from my server to my DAC.  But, my server and DAC are pretty well optimized, with a separately powered (battery supply to separately filtered and discretely regulated rail) SOtM card, and a fully isolated USB interface in my DAC.
If you are you using a standard USB output from a mother board, things like the iFi USB power might be an advantage, you have to try and see.

Barrows,

I am skeptical too but curious to what other members think about those product. My usb dac has its seperate power for digital and analog out so I can not use the iUSB power. But OTOH, my next music server "maybe" benefit from it.

Thanks,
Austin

skunark

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2014, 06:59 am »
Hello,

Thanks,
Austin

The issue with USB is that you have to have a consistent ground from the source to the sink, so the power supply is most likely snake oil.   Avoiding a common ground will reduce the lifespan of both the source and the sink.  Anyone who disagrees with that without a competent argument is selling snake oil.

As long as the USB cable meets standard specifications of a USB cable flavor you are after, then it's probably fine, i'm sure there are cheaper versions out there that will perform the same.   But neither will influence the analog sound of the USB cable, and since you still have to have a common ground, since there is no noise isolation between the source and sink devices.    Look towards an SPDIF interface or even HDMI if you are after the galvonic isolation. 

« Last Edit: 27 May 2014, 11:56 am by skunark »

shadowlight

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2014, 11:44 am »
Paul,
Will you be reviewing the purifier also?

ltr317

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2014, 02:11 pm »
Paul,
Will you be reviewing the purifier also?

Yes, as part of an iFi chain. 

shadowlight

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2014, 04:41 pm »
Yes, as part of an iFi chain. 

Thx, looking forward to reading the review.